Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranha feedback.
Closed Thread
Old 08 Nov 2006, 09:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Piranha feedback.

I have 3 piranha's I am building atm and I would really like to put them in my Mech Tau list, but I am a little afraid of their durability. AV 10 all around can be quite scary. Now I know you can equip them with decoy lauchers and move em far to keep their glancing skimmer profile, but really how survivable are they?

Also is there a specific Tactica written for the effective use of Piranhas? I gather the gist of how to keep them alive and how they can be used, but I would really like to know how other people use them.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 10:52   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Piranha feed back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xartus
...[CUT]...

Also is there a specific Tactica written for the effective use of Piranhas?

...[CUT]
Yes it is, here =>http://www.tauonline.org/ViewContent.php?id=277
Old 08 Nov 2006, 12:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Utsujin Send a message via MSN to Utsujin Send a message via Yahoo to Utsujin

Their front armor is 11 dude. What I do, and had hardly any success is give them a fusion blaster, and 2 seeker missles, and go tank hunting for a turn or two. Instead I took out 3 death guard models, but w/e. Just ZOOM 24 inches to the side of an enemy tank, and let a pair of seeker missiles rip.

DH
W:24:2:L:4
Old 08 Nov 2006, 12:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

how the hell did i miss their front armor as 11 wow im dumb.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 14:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

First, always use Piranha in sets of 1 or 2 models. Four if you must. But never 3 or 5. Why? Scoring status.

With two models, you can lose one and you give the enemy zero victory points, and you retain a fully scoring unit to hold table quarters/objectives.

Second, IMO, the fusion blaster is the only way to build a Piranha. In this role, it exceeds a fusion blaster armed crisis suit in virtually every way.

Piranha are fantastic choices for your army because they are so fast. I won't deny that they are brittle, but they can withstand bolters from the front, and on the side/rear it's still a reasonably safe bet.

Don't put Decoy Launchers on squadroned Piranha because 1) they're more likely to be destroyed due to being open-topped, and 2) if one is stunned, you're better off having the non-stunned vehicle move away, destroying the stunned one. Better to lose one than two (thus reinforcing the need to take them in sets of 2).

I took six Piranha in teams of 2 last game - one whole unit died, and in the other two units, one was destroyed and the other lost its fusion blaster, but each of these Piranha were fully scoring units that hid until turn 6, rushed into an objective, and successfully contested it, ensuring I got the win in the game.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 08 Nov 2006, 15:52   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by xartus
I have 3 piranha's I am building atm and I would really like to put them in my Mech Tau list, but I am a little afraid of their durability. AV 10 all around can be quite scary. Now I know you can equip them with decoy lauchers and move em far to keep their glancing skimmer profile, but really how survivable are they?

Also is there a specific Tactica written for the effective use of Piranhas? I gather the gist of how to keep them alive and how they can be used, but I would really like to know how other people use them.
One thing I have to correct you about. A pirahna's front armour is 11, but it is open topped.

A pirahna is just like a land speeder, for all its strenght it dies fast.

What you should be doing with your pirahnas would be to floow this first few steps

1)Give them a specific purpose that is befitting their role

2)split them up into smaller teams.

3)Don't put too much upgrades on them

For #1 , I would sugest that you make your pirahnas anti-tank hunters. Although a fusion blasters range is short, but it packs more punch than a Railgun.
In addition to that, their speed makes them really good at rushing at one of the tanks and just melta it with 2D6 penetration.Usually it will do some damage to the tank, even a land raider.

For #2, I would put a lone pirahna for each of my Fast attack slots. That way theyu are more survivable and also not pulled down by any squadron rules. In addition, you can annoy your opponent even more with them.

For #3, I say just arm them with fusion blaster and a Targetting array. Just make him a lean and mean tankhunter. You yourself also admit that they aren't survivable, so why bother with putting so much points on something that dies fast?

Just let it do its purpose and if it fails, you can expect it to die within the next turn. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 16:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I rather unjoy using a pair of solo fusion pirhanas. Makes a nice backup for anti-tank work in case your bg railgun toting stuff gets taken out. Plus their speed means that they can get in behind enemy lines. One of my favourites things to do is zipping in behind slow moving monstrous creatures and giving them a lil fusion as they make their way toward the bulk of my forces. Chances are any big weapons are going to be trying to bring down my hammerheads instead of the lil pirhana.

Of course if you're gonna use fusion take a targeting array. I miss too much even WITH one (but that's just because my luck STINKS)
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 08 Nov 2006, 17:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good

They work well with a markerlight, effectively improving your chances of hitting by 16.6%. The speed of a Piranha means you are almost always glanced (if even hit). Try to markerlight a tank and zoom to a weak side of the armour and give it heck!

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 22:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Piranha feedback.

I've been interested in running some Piranha tank hunters, too. I've got a pesky Whirlwind to hunt down, plus a Land Raider Crusader that I can penetrate a dozen times with railguns, only to roll a 1 or 2 for damage. And if they get that done, there's a Vindicator that needs some loving that only a close range fusion gun can provide.

Actually, the last three crushing losses, being wiped out to a man against the same army I wiped out twice before, has got me thinking of adding more seekers and fusion guns all around, since the bloody railguns can't seem to roll more than a 3 for damage.
Old 09 Nov 2006, 18:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Piranha feedback.

There really no point in taking burst cannon equiped ones?

Guess these are something that can be got cheaper elsewhere, but is there still no use using them naked as economy drone carriers? 5 S5 shots a piece does seem nasty (especially with two pinning) one a unit that generally won't be able to fight back.
Closed Thread