Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlights - Huh?
Old 08 Nov 2006, 02:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to OmikronAlpha
Default Markerlights - Huh?

So, trying to memorize the Tau Empire Codex, and learn what each piece of gear does. I came across Markerlights.

I get the concept of these - It's like modern military painting targets. But how exactly (And where) do I use them in combat? What effects can they give me? What are the ideal markerlight uses?

Thanks in advance
Old 08 Nov 2006, 04:11   #2 (permalink)
lonely tau

Default Re: Markerlights - Huh?

Well, the codex has the effects of it, and so from there you can form your strategies for whatever you may think the ideal Marker-light useage is.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 04:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

what is a markerlight:

Roughly. Markerlights are heavy weapons that are used to mark targets for your army, the Marker lights have several effects. they are as follows, They can Give a bonus BS to another squad in your army, they can launch a seeker missle, give a negative penalty to the targets leadership, or give a negative effect to targets cover saves. These are vague to not give exact stats online.

Who can take them:

All pathfinders are equipped standard with Markerlights, Fire Warriors Shas'ui's can be given markerlights, Stealths Team leaders can be given one, you can purchase Marker Drones for your Firewarriors, stealths, crisis or pathfinders. Also the Sky Ray has 2 markerlights equipped standard. So there are many ways to field them.

How they are used:

Simply they are taken as a shooting attack from which ever unit holds the markerlight, If a markerlight hits a specific squad then a counter is laid down for that squad and these can be cumulative. Then you can take what ever effects you want for the Markerlight counters. There are some restrictions but those are defined exactly in the codex. Now since they are Heavy weapons the squad can not move and mark targets with the weapon. So these should be used by squads such as pathfinders within cover with a good view of the board, or static firewarriors. Stealths are generally not good options seeing you want these mobile, Sky rays are an exceptional chioce if you want a mobile Markerlight, but this does take up a heavy slot from your H/H or Broadsides, I would only suggest this ni smaller point games, not exceeding 1500-2000 point lists.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 05:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks Xartus, that helps heaps, exactly what I was looking for
Old 08 Nov 2006, 05:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The 3 main uses I see a marklight for:
Unloading a seeker missle barage into some poor unit. Either from a skyray, or various other vehicles like piranhas.

Upping the BS of several units to annilate a single squad, does wonders against those darn genestealers.

To make it almost impossible for a unit to pass a pin test, yes you herd me, it's about time we saw some pinning action to be feared.

I think the best use for marklights is when you use them all up to get one big effect, usign them to get several different effects, IMO wastes their potential.

1,100 posts, wow that suprises even me.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 05:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There's also 2 ways to outfit your army with them, and it's pretty much all or (next to) nothing. A Mech army will want to go with the next to nothing approach, a largely static army (like myself) will want the all approach.

Mech you might have a Pathfinder squad, or put them on your Stealth Suits (which, until further stated they can't, can jump after shooting thier markerlight, like in 3rd Ed.)

In Static, you take one in almost every unit possible (which, actually, is almost all Tau units, except Drones.) I, for example, have 11 lights in my 1500pt. army. After upgrading to 2500pts, I will have at least 5 more. Static armies love Markerlights, and so do I.
orion549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2006, 06:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The most effective unit for Markerlights would be the sniper drones IMO. They can sit back and lay waste to several units with their guns and markerlight yet anoher target. They ca benefit from their own ML hits or let someone else use em. They are BS4, and they have stealth fields to keep em safe.

Pathfinders are nice for multiple ML hits on a single target, but they are fragile and more difficult to keep alive. Plus they don't mount any real offense on their own and they have to all fire at the same target.

Another fun option is minimized fire warrior or Gue'la teams with a Markerlight on the team leader. (Gue'la are human auxilleries whose rules can be found on the GW website BTW) These units are cheap and can set up in different fire lanes so as to give more even coverage of the field.

Personally, I use Markerlights to up the BS of my hard hitting units so I can remove big nasty threats earlier and thereby run remove his higher STR weapons.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 07:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks guys A few more questions.

So, if I've got a squad of Pathfinders/Stealthsuits, and there are 3 Markerlights in that squad, I can shoot them all at a target squad - Will the next squad that shoots at that particular squad get a +3 BS?

I plan to have a very mechanized force, using a fair amount of Fire Warriors and Anti-Infantry XV8's. Are Markerlights right for me?

Thanks guys!
Old 08 Nov 2006, 08:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

So, if I've got a squad of Pathfinders/Stealthsuits, and there are 3 Markerlights in that squad, I can shoot them all at a target squad - Will the next squad that shoots at that particular squad get a +3 BS?

Each hit (you still have to roll to hit) puts a "markerlight counter" on the target unit. The next unit shooting at the target unit dosen't have to use them if it dosen't want to. You can also use the markerlight counters for each of the different markerlight effects.

Example: A Pathfinder squad fires at some Guardians. Three markerlights hit. A Fire Warrior squad fires at those same Guardians. The Tau player decides to use one of these counters to add +1 to the Fire Warriors BS. A unit of Gun Drones fires at the Guardians. They elect to use the two remaining counters to -2 Leadership for a pinning test.

You basically had it right though.

I plan to have a very mechanized force, using a fair amount of Fire Warriors and Anti-Infantry XV8's. Are Markerlights right for me?

Whilst I'm not a Mech player, my hunch is that using Markerlights in a mechanized force may prove to be a little difficult. You need to stand still in order to fire them, and that's not something you want to be doing in a Mech army. However, you could use the Markerlights on the Skyray to overcome this problem.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Faolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2006, 08:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

"Example: A Pathfinder squad fires at some Guardians. Three markerlights hit. A Fire Warrior squad fires at those same Guardians. The Tau player decides to use one of these counters to add +1 to the Fire Warriors BS. A unit of Gun Drones fires at the Guardians. They elect to use the two remaining counters to -2 Leadership for a pinning test. "

Thanks, that was a perfect example

I think I've got the gist of it now, thanks alot