Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A short question for you guys
Closed Thread
Old 06 Nov 2006, 21:26   #1 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Default A short question for you guys

Heya,

What I would like is your opinion, would you think a Mech Tau army is wise on a 4x4 board?

The reason I ask this? Well at the local GW I go to, we can only play on 4x4 boards, as the store is really, really small so 1000+pts games are played on 4x4 boards, I just want to know if it would be worth going mech...

Thanks.

Old 06 Nov 2006, 21:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: A short question for you guys

I play a mech Tau army and often the smaller the table the better because people tend to clump their stuff into one spot or corner and that makes it really easy to out move them. Also, if the table is smaller you won't have to move your DF's to much to possibly drop some FW's or pull off FoF.

Going mech is the only way to play tau!
Jk

-Blender

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
Old 06 Nov 2006, 22:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Heya,

What I would like is your opinion, would you think a Mech Tau army is wise on a 4x4 board?

The reason I ask this? Well at the local GW I go to, we can only play on 4x4 boards, as the store is really, really small so 1000+pts games are played on 4x4 boards, I just want to know if it would be worth going mech...

Thanks.
Anton,

Based on 4x4, most armies have the advantage on you as a Tau player, because they will largely have assault range very early, and every chance to shoot you with their standard weapons. Going static would be selecting nails for your own coffin. Going hybrid is never wrong; always balanced. Going completely pure mechanized would be a step in a direction to negate your two biggest threats: close range firepower of infantry and assault.

So, your answer is what you want of your army.

Cheers!
Old 07 Nov 2006, 15:24   #4 (permalink)
General Stupidity

Quote:
So, your answer is what you want of your army
Well after much research into my most favored play style, it is mobility. The GW store I go to has basically two categories of players:

1.) Static, Basically they stand in their deployment zone and shoot away, a very simple and easy to beat tactic.

2.) Charging across the board, they don't use infiltration, they just simply advance up the board, making the shooting phase ever the more enjoyable.

No one else I know who collects Tau at my local GW has Mech, they all go for static and try and out shoot everything, which is impossible because personally that is not how Tau operate, they treat them like a SIGAFH, get as many railguns as they can and shoot....

Old 07 Nov 2006, 15:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

The smaller the table, the more you need to minimize the risk of assaults. Go Mech, and learn how to assault-block with skimmers, and learn the Fish of Fury.

Also, you might try experimenting with the Flechette Discharger on a smaller table. While people know that fighting a skimmer in CC is overwhelmingly difficult, a lot of people assault skimmers simply to get the extra move toward the Tau lines.

Discouraging them with a 50-percent chance to wound is what I like to refer to as a "conditioning exercise". The higher the T of your opponent, the more valuable the Flechette Discharger is, and same for the lower the armor save. If I get a failed save from FDs against a Carnifex or Terminator, I consider it 10 points superbly spent.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Old 07 Nov 2006, 15:48   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Small table means shorter distance for assaulters to reach your lines. As mal say, going static is a bad thing, even though you have 72 firewarriors on the table (but people don't often use this).

Hybrid is okay, but still pretty much vulnerable. Mech is king. But seeing that, if all you skimmers are shot down, there goes the mech approach. So the best out of the three would be hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 07 Nov 2006, 15:58   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Personnally, I'd say go mech regardless, for two reasons. A) It has never failed me, so they usually work, and B) It is the way tau "are". I'm very much a fluff gamer, so I try to make my army fit the fluff of how that race plays, and Tau are a mech army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 07 Nov 2006, 16:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Many of the games I play are at my local GW, and we play 1000 point games on a 4x4 table.

My mech army usually performs quite well in this environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 08 Nov 2006, 07:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You know, Mech is not the only way to play Tau effectively. I used to play mech, but since the Piranha came out I have found that Hybrid is the real way to get the most out of the Tau.

Sure you can't FoF without mounted Fire Warriors, but you can do pretty much the same thing using teams of Piranhas.

I won't drag up the same arguments here as I have in other posts, I'll simply say that I am still undefeated since I switched to this new hybrid style.

And yes my friends all hate me now for that very reason. ;D
Closed Thread