Skyray and its markerlights...
Closed Thread
Old 06 Nov 2006, 10:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Skyray and its markerlights...

I am in big trouble ???

In this article:

http://www.tauonline.org/ViewContent.php?id=225

Posted in this site, one thing come out to my attention, the skyray can use only one shot of its markerlight to shot all its missiles...

I tried to find it in the codex (italian version) but i didn't find nothing! ???

Can you help me? Where is the mistake, english article (here, in this site) or in the italian codex (in my house)... :P
Old 06 Nov 2006, 11:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Skyray and its markerlights...

The problem here, is that the Skyray only has that ability in the Imperial Armor 3 book, where it first debued. In our codex, there is nothing even close to that (If I recall correctly) "Alpha Strike" ability - funny as that would be.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Old 06 Nov 2006, 11:13   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

As said - in the IA book, because the skyray was orginally only a forgeworld model, it had the ability in the IA book to fire off al seekers at once. Then, in the new dex, and in IA3 it lost the ability to fire all of them, and went to the 1 missile per marker.

This article was written before C:TE, and was valid then, but is wrong now because of the change.

Interesting to note, in IA, you have the ability to upgrade the skyray to an anti air craft mount, which allows you to hit aircraft better. I think, not having my Taros book on me at the mo, this allows you to fire any number off, but only at aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 06 Nov 2006, 12:26   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thak U so much

now it's clear like fresh water...SIGH! :'(

One marker for all 6 missiles...a dream...ONLY a dream...SOB :'(
Old 06 Nov 2006, 13:31   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

It's still damn good, and def has its uses - "Incomming Marauder Bomber"

"Fire Skyray"

*Sound of skyray tracking, lasing and launching. Marauder crashes.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 06 Nov 2006, 14:08   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

One thing about the "alpha strike" rules--if you choose to upgrade a skyray to this via the IA3 rules, they use a bit different rules to hit than the typical seeker missiles in the codex. Specifically, they require a 4+ for each to hit, after the markerlight hits, rather than the 2+ that is in the codex. So, while it would be nice to have an alpha strike option in the codex, it isn't quite as good as most people seem to make it out to be.
Old 06 Nov 2006, 16:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Clarification here:

IA Book stats are intended to be same as new codex - everyone's equipment points costs were adjusted for it. People harassed Forge World for the "errors" in the book when it was first released. Forgeworld explained they had made the changes based on the new, about to be released codex. So they're supposed to be compatible. I'd have to double check, but all the Crisis suits points changes were first identified here in IA3.

The rules everyone is referring to is an add-on ability for shooting at aircraft, making the Skyray an Anti-Aircrafty (AA) platform. Key is: the AA rules are only used if you're using the flier rules (an optional rule set not officially endorsed by the BRB). And to get the ability, you need the optional Aircraft rules to use the AA mount - they're all part of the same rule set. The AA capability is an (expensive) additional points cost to a standard Skyray. It makes the Skyray more expensive than a decked out rail-head.

Also, the 4+ to hit was in relation to fliers, not to ground targets. Skyray seekers hit ground targets on 2+, like everyone else's. Being able to launch up to 6 missiles, all hitting on 2+ onto a single flier made it a bit, um, "EASY". This gave fliers a chance.

Still, salvo firing all 6 missiles at a tank may be the only way to guarantee a kill. I would have liked the Missile Barage to do an Area of Effect attack as the Skyray can do in the new Dark Cruisade computer game. Similar to the old Terminator missiles: 6 missiles = 3"radius Strength 8, AP3 zone of DEATH!

"It's not my tactics that are bad, just my dice rolling..."
Old 06 Nov 2006, 16:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can still fire all 6 missiles in one turn, you just need 6 Marker hits to do it.
Old 06 Nov 2006, 18:16   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal'Yth Riyon Mal'Caor (Orion549)
You can still fire all 6 missiles in one turn, you just need 6 Marker hits to do it.
Ok I know that is still able to do this, but if i could save the other 5 'lights, I should be more happy!

Otherwise an old player say me some time ago..."Ok Moz, U can't have all U wan't...U can have only what GW puppies want's..."

This is life!