Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Counter-charging: a defensive technique.
Old 05 Nov 2006, 20:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Counter-charging: a defensive technique.

Hello I dont play Tau myself (continue reading plz) but as I was reading this months White Dwarf an idea came up. because I cant try it out myself ill just post it and ask you guys what you think. To the point:
Take one kroot squad of about 10 Kroot, for every fire warrior squad, they will be intended for close combat only. Make em as cheap as possible. When you set up put the Fire Warriors in a building about 4 inches from the edge. place the Kroot about 2 or 3 inches behind them so that they cant be seen. Now few enemys will try to charge you because of the Kroot. because of the fact that they cant be shot at youll keep them whole. If someones stupid enough to try to charge the Fire warriors he will need to go through the building, meaning that there is a possibility that they wont hit them. When they have charged and its your turn, circle the Kroot around the fire warriors and charge the enemy in the back, unleashing those 30 I, S and Ws 4 attacks and finish what the Pulse rifles left over.
If you find mistakes, post them here. tnx for reading. I know im tottaly braindead posting tau tactics though I never played them. And some people will probably be using this already.
Elitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2006, 20:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Counter-charging: a defensive tecnique

Honestly, it's not that scary. The Kroot won't be shooting, so thats a chunk of Tau firepower the enemy doesn't have to worry about, and all those attacks will amount to 2.5 MEQ deaths. Whoo. The simple matter is that dedicated assault troops won't mind if they have to take on Kroot to get to your Fire Warriors, or the even-tastier things behind those (broadsides, sniper teams). Combine that with the fact that fast assaulters can just go after your kroot and pretty easily get into the fire warriors after a consolidation, and it's overall not a very good tactic.

Basically, the guys who really want into combat won't mind, and the ones that don't will just shoot you and ignore the kroot.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2006, 21:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Um, those kroot are actually better at shooting marines than tau are...
Madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2006, 21:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That tactic would work better in woods/jungle,because the kroot would then be allowed to shoot out of deep cover with impunity, and yet still offer direct support for accompanying firewarriors. In my opinion, this kind of multi-unit teamwork is essential to fighting as a tau player anyways, and its good to see you thinking like this. No Tau unit can really stand alone... and finding ways to meld units together into a 'combi-unit' is the way to go.

A similar tactic to a kroot counter charge, is to simply line them and their respectable guns up alongside ranks of firewarriors, and looking to charge into any close combats that erupt nearby.

Or alternatively, theres the pre emptive kroot charge, very VERY usefull when you don't want a unit of infiltrating scouts tying up your three broadsides in close combat for the entire game. This is something else kroot units should look out for in each game turn as an opportunity: they can run out of cover, then charge into combat to 'cut off' incoming assaulty units, and perform a dual function: Stop those assaulty units from chewing up sensitive Tau units, AND block lots of LOS from the enemy fire-lines, usefull for screening your units from enemy heavy bolters.... you get the idea, these are things the kroot can do on top of simply shooting, or charging and dying for the greater good.

;D
Old 05 Nov 2006, 22:10   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think the other thing about it is it's really a lot of investment in defending a unit that it's frankly better to abandon. Let the tau die/run-off and shoot the assaulters, that's what the army is good at after all.
Old 06 Nov 2006, 02:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madscientist

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
RealMenUseCarbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2006, 18:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Quote:

???
he means by a point for point basis.... 120 points of kroot will indeed statistically kill more marines than 120 points of firewarriors.

but that doesn't consider many other factors... such as the armor saves of those points, or other abilities/tactical considerations... its termed mathhammer, and only looks at odds of hitting, odds of wounding, and odds of saving, and nothing else.
Old 06 Nov 2006, 19:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

All it assumes is that those kroot can get a 4+ cover save. But really, I was pointing out the fact that he was trying to defend a "shooty" unit with a "cc" unit, but in most casses the cc unit was actually better at shooting (except vs. 5+ saves). I was just pointing it out because he isn't a Tau player, and not very many players actually know the math with tau.

What additional factors do you think need to be added in between kroot and FW for effectiveness that make FW better? Kroot infiltrate, so getting their save and a good position isn't that hard. They can also get 7" into woods, and nobody can shoot back at them (fieldcraft). If the enemy charges them, they get two s4 attacks at I10 (assuming they are in cover). The only thing Tau have is the ability to use markerlights and the option of a transport.
Madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2006, 21:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Putting units that close to the board edge will guarantee they run off the board after a failed morale check. Any indirect fire weapon may cause you to run off the board without the Tau player firing a shot.
Old 07 Nov 2006, 23:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
All it assumes is that those kroot can get a 4+ cover save. But really, I was pointing out the fact that he was trying to defend a "shooty" unit with a "cc" unit, but in most casses the cc unit was actually better at shooting (except vs. 5+ saves). I was just pointing it out because he isn't a Tau player, and not very many players actually know the math with tau.
5+ cover save is enough to get more points per kill against points lost when they shoot back.
Tastyfish is offline   Reply With Quote