Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

TO update: XV-28 anti-armour suits
Closed Thread
Old 04 Nov 2006, 10:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default TO update: XV-28 anti-armour suits

i hope i'm not too late (or too new!) to join in this.

i realise in advance that this will be a controversial suggestion, but seemed a logical extension of tau technology. the tricky part is giving them enough drawbacks to be balanced, so that taking them isn't a no-brainer.

[hr]

In septs that have had extensive skirmishes with the humans known as space marines, the Fio have laboured hard to provide their Shas brethren with technology to counter the heavily armoured threat.

By taking a standard XV25 stealth suit and removing the stealth nodes, the Fio managed to free up enough power to mount the fearsome plasma rifle in place of the burst cannon. However, problems with the power conduits in the smaller suit have not yet been solved, and the suit is prone to power overloads, rendering its systems useless.

XV-28 Anti-armour suit 0-1 [Heavy support]

[table]
[tr][td][/td][td]pts[/td][td]WS[/td][td]BS[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Shas'ui[/td][td]42[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]3[/td][td]2[/td][td]8[/td][td]3+[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Team: 3-6 shas'ui

Equipment: XV28 anti-armour battlesuit.

Options: May choose from the battlesuit wargear list.

Special rules: Deepstrike, the plasma rifle "gets hot"

[hr]

so, to summarise, they lose infiltrate and the stealth field, gain a bigger gun (which might kill them, particularly rapid firing) and take up a precious heavy support slot. and they cost 12 points more.

balanaced? or is the rifle simply out of bounds?
Old 04 Nov 2006, 11:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: TO update: XV-28 anti-armour suits

For 17 pts more I can get a Crisis Suit with a Burst cannon and multi-tracker. For those 17 pts I get one more wound, one better toughness, my plasma rifle doesn't get hot and I have a burst cannon which I can fire at the same time as the plasma rifle.

I like the idea, but give them the stealthfield.
Old 04 Nov 2006, 15:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Keep them in elites, and make the points the same as a XV-25 with a fusion blaster (I dont know how much they are though, caus i still havn't got the new codex yet... :'()
Old 04 Nov 2006, 18:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Utsujin Send a message via MSN to Utsujin Send a message via Yahoo to Utsujin

Argh, I wouldnt let them "gets hot" though. Expensive suits that die because they roll a 1.. I like the safe plasma rifle we have already. Maybe a twin linked plasma rifle for the guys? Maybe have that as the standard weapon, and can exchange its weapon for twin linked fusion blasters? Something along those lines.

Basically I am equipping 3 suits with plasma rifle, fusion blaster, and multi tracker incase someone deep strikes a couple termies behind my lines....I find that a bit mroe efficient.

Nice idea though!

DH
W:24:2:L:4
Old 04 Nov 2006, 18:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

They don't need to overheat. Simply increase the cost of normal XV25s by 12 pts (the cost difference between plasma rifles and burst cannons) and remove the stealthfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 04 Nov 2006, 20:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
They don't need to overheat. Simply increase the cost of normal XV25s by 12 pts (the cost difference between plasma rifles and burst cannons) and remove the stealthfield.
Why remove the Stealth Field? For the price you're talking about I can get a Crisis Suit with Plasma Rifle, Burst Cannon, & Multi-tracker. Sure I may only be able to get 3 in a team, but it doesn't make any sense to have something that is so much weaker (less toughness, less wounds, less strength) for the same price... why use it when you can get Crisis Suits.
Old 04 Nov 2006, 22:43   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks for the responses.

I'd like to get rid of the stealth field for fluff justification, basically: to explain why you couldn't put a plasma rifle on a stealth suit in the first place.

As it also means the suit doesn't infiltrate that also explains why it takes up a different force org slot: these aren't "lone wolves" like XV25s, but part of the Tau combined arms. They can bolster a cadre in situations that are too fluid for broadsides or sniper drones, and to cramped for tanks.

I take your (KCKitsune) point about the comparative cost with the crisis suit, though - how about dropping the cost by 5 points to 37? as RealMenUseCarbines suggested i based the cost on an XV25 + 12, but didn't take any points off for removing stealth.

As to "gets hot", I'm happy to drop it (though you get an armour save don't you, so a 1/18 chance isn't that bad). I was following GW's example with the pathfinder rail rifles - "gets hot" would be a temporary thing as the suits were phased in, and eventually the bugs could be worked out. More fluff, basically.
Old 04 Nov 2006, 23:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Without stealth and having Get's Hot, I would probably put it in around the 30ish point mark. Without Get's Hot, I would put it around 35 pts (37 looks right too).

You could also think about the option of different weapons. Make it a 16 pt base, and let people add weapons on. It would probably still be more effective to use stealths for close range weapons (burst cannons and fusion) because of their survivability, and crisis would still be better for mixed weapons (30pts with the mt plus the weapons and it gets t4, where the 28's would be 32 pts +the weapons). If you did this, it might work to call them XV-2's, in the same way XV-8's have specialized suits with a second designation number.

Just a thought, although it might be overpowered with missiles... 12 s7 attacks from 36" jumping around...
Old 05 Nov 2006, 03:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKitsune
Quote:
Why remove the Stealth Field? For the price you're talking about I can get a Crisis Suit with Plasma Rifle, Burst Cannon, & Multi-tracker. Sure I may only be able to get 3 in a team, but it doesn't make any sense to have something that is so much weaker (less toughness, less wounds, less strength) for the same price... why use it when you can get Crisis Suits.
Ionno what kind of crazy math you do but for 47 points you most definitely can NOT get an XV8 with plasma rifle, BC, and multitracker.

And being able to fit 6 plasma rifles into a single elite slot is advantage enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 05 Nov 2006, 04:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

He has it as Heavy Support right now.
Closed Thread