Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Targetting array on XV88's?
Closed Thread
Old 04 Nov 2006, 08:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Commander Nearsight
Default Targetting array on XV88's?

Does anybody use Targetting Arrays on Broadsides? The downside is of course that you can't equip them with Advanced Stabilisation System, which would enable them to fire their twin-linked cheesecannons after moving, though the movement would be slower. But in my mind, a gun with a range of 4 times the GW inch measure stick doesn't really need that mobility offered by the D'yi all the time, though I can be wrong, never played a single game of 40k... But the Targetting Array sounds quite cool, as my High Elven roots scream for Bs4 weaponry* :P. And of course there is the twin-linked plasma rifle, combined with the battlesuit's special rule of firing weapons such as this rifle and so it doesn't need the ASS.

Great site for all DE stuff.
Old 04 Nov 2006, 10:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Targetting array on XV88's?

I think that all of the weaponry choices kind of make the targetting array overkill. Your railguns are twin linked as are your plasma rifles, and you get so many shots with the smart missile system that you don't really need to bump up their bs. I'd much rather take the A.S.S. so that I can redeploy and still fire. Otherwise your opponent will just move his models out of line of sight and waste your firing ability.
Old 04 Nov 2006, 11:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Nearsight
... enable them to fire their twin-linked cheesecannons after moving ...
Now why do you have to say that our railguns are "cheesecannons"? The Broadside is nicely price... just compare it to say Obliterators and you'll see it's nicely priced.
Old 04 Nov 2006, 11:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKitsune
Quote:
... enable them to fire their twin-linked cheesecannons after moving ...
Now why do you have to say that our railguns are "cheesecannons"? The Broadside is nicely price... just compare it to say Obliterators and you'll see it's nicely priced.
Errr... are you sure what I mean with the cheesecannon? Okay, let's make it "the uber-good-at-destroying-things cannon". Happy now? And nobody has said anything about Broadsides' price...

Old 04 Nov 2006, 12:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
twin-linked cheesecannons after moving,

never played a single game of 40k...

And of course there is the twin-linked plasma rifle, combined with the battlesuit's special rule of firing weapons such as this rifle and so it doesn't need the D'yi.
(1) try firing a cheese cannon at a marine in cover? 50% chance of not dying... hardly cheese. and it ain't goona do anything for you against a hundred orks or guardsmen

(2) play, then see for yourself...

(3) yup, i can move a 75 pt suit just to get one shot off at 24"... i'd rather sit and shoot a tank...

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 04 Nov 2006, 13:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

"(3) yup, i can move a 75 pt suit just to get one shot off at 24"... i'd rather sit and shoot a tank..."

Actually my point was that you get two optional shots a turn, so if you don't move, you might as well shoot with the railgun and if you do move, then shoot with rifle.

Old 04 Nov 2006, 16:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:

Actually my point was that you get two optional shots a turn, so if you don't move, you might as well shoot with the railgun and if you do move, then shoot with rifle.

Err, you know you need the Multitracker to fire off both guns in teh same turn.
Old 04 Nov 2006, 16:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes, two optional shots, you decide which. Didn't write that clearly enough.

Old 04 Nov 2006, 16:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The only problem I have with taking the twin plasma over the SMS is the cost. Say you have a 3 man team, thats already 210 pts before the mandatory hardpoint. Add in the points you have to spend to upgrade the SMS to a twin plasma rifle and we're talking almost 300 pts for 3 models (more dependent on the hard point, mine used to have sheild generators back in the first tau codex).

The only thing I can really think of is if you don't have to take drones when you take a drone controller then it might be worth it. Thats 290 pts with the ability to fire either gun depending upon the need at the moment.
Old 04 Nov 2006, 17:32   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Errr... are you sure what I mean with the cheesecannon? Okay, let's make it "the uber-good-at-destroying-things cannon". Happy now? And nobody has said anything about Broadsides' price...
No I'm not Nearsight. I am tired of hearing people say that Tau are cheesy when all I have to do is look at the Chaos or new Marine codex.

Railguns are very nice, but you pay the points for that single shot. As for my comparison I put that into the context of cost of Broadside vs. Obliterators. The Oblits are cheaper and they have much better ability (the invulnerable save and the ability to move and shoot... can't really get that for broadsides)