Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

O'shovah and his Enclave, anyone used it?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Jan 2005, 05:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default O'shovah and his Enclave, anyone used it?

Hi!

I'm, ATM, planning a Tau army. I like challenge. (I'm a Salamanders player! Well, in the 3rd Ed. Sallies were a challenging army, not mush in the 4th Ed, thanks to GW! >) Anyway, my Tau army will be mobile. Lots of Devilfish with FW. As for the suits, I plan on going for hit-n-run attack. I know, Tau are not made for close encounters... but I can't resist the temptation to master the art of the [glow=red,2,300]"pop out of cover, pepper the ennemy and get back from where you came"[/glow] tactics with the suits. (Damn Sallies with their love for close-ranged firefights! Kinde influence me alot )

Now, I'm asking is people here used O'shovah once, sometime or all the time. It sounds like a good Leader for my type of approach with my Tau. I am limited in my choice because he's a renegade but I can live with that. (another influence from Sallies! :P) Is the Farsight Enclave a good choice here?

+++ EDIT +++
I forgot to mention that my Tau will be fighting against a Sallies/IG/Ordo Xenos with Deathwatch alliance. The fluff around that campaign is that an heretic Ordo Xenos =][= will have join the Tau Empire and gave the plans to a secret and highly protected storage facility where the Ordo Xenos is keeping xenos artifacts. The Tau will, with the helps of traitor humans, launch an attack against the Hive where the facility is located. But that attack will only be a diversion 'cause a Tau force will have infiltrate the Hive. But the Ordo Xenos spies will find that and a bloody fight will occur in the underhive. So we talk about a close-ranged campaign here! Hope that helps to understand my view on my Tau army!
+++ END OF EDIT +++

Thanks!

Chaplain Thu'Ook
Promethean Cultist
Old 06 Jan 2005, 07:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: O'shovah and his Enclave, anyone used it?

Hmmm.... brave move, I'm not sure I could do it myself, sure you can handle no kroot? and deal w/ one HH? you can still take advantage of the FoF though and the ork fighter upgrade for the crisis looks promising.

what kind of force are you thinking of?
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 06 Jan 2005, 10:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Farsight isn't bad at all in Close combat. You definately have a crisis suit have army. One HH, one set of Broadsides, and if you want a group of heavy Gun drones- although they are very expensive for what they can do- except against orks and nids.
Old 06 Jan 2005, 13:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Farsights good, the issue with most is that you have to use what you have well due to the limitations of the army... i would know, i use farsight, and its certainly no hinderence, it just leads to a slightly different style...

so i reckon you should at least give it a try, and if you like it use him more, if you dont liike it its only one model so makes little difference..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 06 Jan 2005, 22:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Shovah Send a message via MSN to Shovah Send a message via Yahoo to Shovah

PLAY MY CODEX!!!!!!!!!

"... and if machine spirit is not roused, the Lithany of Profanity should be spoken, followed by ritual striking of machine with one's fist. After which, depress the red rune again."

[taken from Adeptus Mechanicus manual]
Old 06 Jan 2005, 22:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks guys! Yeah, I never thought that he's simply one IC that I could switch if I don't like the way the Enclave works. It's not like building a whole Chaos SM army and realise that you don't like it! With the Enclave you simply switch the IC and your done!

@ dizzygamer(
Quote:
what kind of force are you thinking of?
Well, I'm a Infrantry guy. I'm not a tank fan. Even my IG will be mostly Infantry! My 750 pts Sallies army has about 25 Sallies. I like the Fire Warriors so I'll have lots of them, at least 48 in a 1500 pts games! I want my Tau army to be heavy with suits and FWT. I know that the HH is a nice tank but one will do fine with me. 2 would be the maximum. I admit that they are more mobile than the Broadside though... Well, I prefer Tau tank to the Imperium ones. I admit it! :-[

Oh, and about the Kroot question, I could live without them. I'm pretty sure a "pure" Tau army can do fine without them if you play wisely... well, I think so!

@ Col Wolfe
How can the Enclacve have heavy drone when it can't have regular drones? Is it specified in the Imperial Amour book?

@ Shovah
LMOA! You better not let me down!

I'll post soon a 750 pts army for you to examine. I'll do one with Farsight and a regular one.

Thanks!

Chaplain Thu'Ook
Promethean Cultist
Old 07 Jan 2005, 05:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

hm.... if youre going for 4 squads I'd recommend a HH and a fish squad add on the other 3 Squads and sprinkle w/ battlesuits to season ;D.

only my opinion thogh and I never played Farsight before.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 07 Jan 2005, 06:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've played with an O'shovah force before, against Chaos.* I admit to a guilty thrill of pleasure when I sliced his warriors down in hand-to-hand with the Dawn Blade...* >

I find that the Orc Fighter's upgrade works best with the various Crisis suits.* Five points per model adds up very, VERY quickly, and might only be good on rank and file models if facing an army slightly less Elite than Space Marines, Dark Eldar, and such.* On the Crisis Suits, it practically turns them into Space Marine equivalents.

Practical things first:* You will need many Crisis teams, preferably all with the Fighter upgrade.* The best choice for this is actually your HQ slots; these will be the warriors in your army actually equal to a Space Marine in pure combat regards.

If you take a unit of Stealth Suits, take them all.* You can only have one team of them, so make the Elite slot spent there count as much as you can.

Considering the many limits on your Fast Attack options, perhaps the Forge World Tetra squads would make for a viable choice?

As an open question, Pathfinnder squads are a 0-1 choice in the army of O'shovah.* *Would Tetra face the same limitation, considering their methods and missions may often differ from the norm?* If this is true, then what of the availability of the Piranha, a vehicle "often a common sight, but less so amongst the Hunter cadres, which tend to rely upon the heavier Devilfish and Hammerheads."

Old 07 Jan 2005, 06:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Unless it has been errata'd (which it hasn't, to my knowledge), you technically can give O'Shovah his own Ork Fighter upgrade! It says "He must be used exactly as described below and may not be given extra equipment from the Tau Armory," but the Ork Fighter upgrade is part of the "described below" and is not part of the Tau Armory. Like the Implant Attack with Tyranid ranged weapons thing, I've never actually done it, but it's still something to consider.
Old 07 Jan 2005, 19:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

hmm, that really doesn't sound possible, alhtough the codex doesnt state o shovah has the upgrade i bet if you asked gw they would tell you he can't be given the ork fighter upgrade, his stats are that of a shas'o but with +1 I and WS anyway so most likely it has been included. For farsight armies they are still not brilliant in close comabt, the only units worth taking in cc are obvioulsly oshovah himself and shas'vre crisis suits with ork fighter, shield gen (will fall to powerr weps. toherwise) and flamer and bc (cheap) - 81 pts though.....not cheap, thats exactly why i dont play farsight, they can only have one very expensive comabt unit (other than oshovah) and they get army limitations (no kroot in a cc army....noooo!)

Just dont get fooled that these guys are a cc army, they aren't, only shovah and his bodygaurds can be...that usually isnt enough but i suppose it will get through non assault squads fairly easily.