Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What's a good HQ choice?
Closed Thread
Old 01 Nov 2006, 21:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default What's a good HQ choice?

Hi I'm new to warhammer 40k and just got a tau battleforce. Could anyone recommend a good HQ choice for a 1000 point army? I only have the units which came in the battleforce box, plus a gue'vesa squad, so I have few vehicles, and very little fast attack.
Old 01 Nov 2006, 22:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: What's a good HQ choice?

Being new to 40k I would definitely recommend a Shas'O Battle Suit with the Fire Knife configuration, which is the Missile Pod and Plasma Rifle + multi tracker. It's got good range and hard strength. Some like to make it way more expensive but in my book you should stay away from close combat and therefore ignore all the enticing wargear that enhances your close combat abilities. Hope it helps.

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 01 Nov 2006, 22:36   #3 (permalink)
lonely tau

well, for a begginer with a Tau army, there is absolutely no way that you can go wrong with a Tau crisis Commander Battlesuit ;D

Jokes aside ('cause I'm so funny :P) I would say Shas'El with Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle and Targetting Array (hard wired Multi-Tracker) giving you everything Khelben just said. if you find out that there arent too many Space Marine armies around you, or power-armored foes (Chaos Space Marines, Necrons, etc) then I would advise either taking a Misile Pod and Cyclic Ion Blaster or Burst Cannon, as they are our most effecient horde Killers (and tell me, what non-marine armies out there arent a tad hordey?).

That being said, I normally run a Commander with a CIB and Missile pod, as we already have a ton of S5 AP5 FIrepower.

Old 01 Nov 2006, 22:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Jokes aside ('cause I'm so funny :P)
(and tell me, what non-marine armies out there arent a tad hordey?).
Facing 40 tac marines at 1000 points is somethng Tau don't do at all...

And I think you're funny
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 01 Nov 2006, 23:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Your commander is someone you want to be able to take the slack off of units, supporting your army with his advanced balistic skill. There are three configurations I find effective on commanders.

Helios Shas'O
-Shas'O with Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Shield Generator and Hard Wired Multi Tracker
Capable of downing everything from Land Raiders and Terminators there isnt anything he cant kill. Being an IC he can get close to the enemy to use the shorter range of his weapons aswell as having BS5, four wounds and an invulnerable save he wont be easy to take down. A last resort type of commander, he can do it all but dont relly on it. A little back up plan never hurts though.

Aurora Shas'el
-Shas'el with Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle and Targeting Array with a Hard Wired Multi Tracker
Good rate of fire that has a good chance of taking down terminators aswell as light armor capability and even enough ROF to mow down infantry squads. Cheaper than a Shas'O but just as accurate this configuration can stay more at range.

Fireknife Shas'el
-Shas'el with Plasma Rifle, Missil Pod, Targeting Array and Hard Wired Multi Tracker
High strength weapons for light armor capability, good AP and a good rate of fire. A very versatile and fairly cheap setup that offers ballance and overall support.

It all comes down to what you want your commander to do, do you want him up close killing tough targets or farther back offering more support. Also consider what army you want to have and how your commander fits into that. For instance if you want to try deepstriking a positional relay and a squad of pathfinders makes it far more reliable. Or if you plan to have a Firebase of Sniper Drones, Broadsides, static Firewarriors etc a commander with a C&C node could help make sure they are shooting at what you want them to shoot at. There are few bad commanders there are just commanders for different roles some generally better than others but it all depends on what you want the commander to do and how you go about doing that.

Old 01 Nov 2006, 23:08   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Welcome to the forums!

I don't like sinking a lot of points on HQ, so I usually run a Fireknife Shas'el. In certain kinds of armies, I will run a support Shas'o with either a Positional Relay or else a Command & Control node.
Old 02 Nov 2006, 00:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

It depends on what you want him to do. If you want him gunning on the frontlines dancing through infantry and the like, I suggest looking into special gear like Vectored Retro-Thrusters or Iridium Plate. This is dangerous for obivious reasons, but can be quite fulfilling. Also, if you're just going to have him be a gunner, look into giving him drones. For 20-30 extra points, your commander gains a wound or two!
Old 02 Nov 2006, 00:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I find that beginners like Big range, Big gun, Big Bang and Big Fun. For this I would recommend the Deathrain Configuration. . It have twin-linked missilepods and flamer with a hardwired multi-tracker. I find that this confiuration is the most "forgiving" of all battlesuits. It have massive range, so no matter where you move, there is a good chance there is something you can hit. It is Twin-Linked, so even if you do miss, you can re-roll. And the Strength is really great. It can rip light to medium vehicles and tough infantry to monsters and it even have 2 shots to boot! And even if they get, you have a flamer to burn the hell of them. Plus, it's relatively cheap. Use this on a Shas'el, Twin-linked missile pods are useless with a Shas'o's BS.
Old 02 Nov 2006, 00:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Aurora Shas'el is what I run as well as the Helios Shas'o. The Aurora is great against everything not in power armour or better and against them it can stand it's own. The Helios 'o is my main commander for large battles where he can do tremendous damage against termis and tanks. The Helios is better for power armour armies and the Aurora is better for horde armies.

Old 02 Nov 2006, 04:36   #10 (permalink)
lonely tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Jokes aside ('cause I'm so funny :P)
(and tell me, what non-marine armies out there arent a tad hordey?).
Facing 40 tac marines at 1000 points is somethng Tau don't do at all...

And I think you're funny
Awesome, somebody does!!!!
I know deep down you all love me...

Anyways, In all of the marine armies I have faced, the highest model count I have faced is 40, tanks scouts and tacs. and anyone who takes 40 marines in a single 1000 point army should be given a Handshake, because that takes more balls than an experienced juggler.

Closed Thread