Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A question about devilfishes..........
Closed Thread
Old 01 Nov 2006, 10:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A question about devilfishes..........

Well, I have a few things that I have to clear out with devilfishes in all.

1)Can they move up to 24"?

2)What is the best number of fire warriors to put inside the devilfish

3)What weapon and wargear is best for a FW mountie?

4)Can they be used to capture table quarters with the fire warriors inside? for example can they rush at the end-game and deploy all of the firer warriors to capture a table quarter fast

5)in regards to #4, is it cheeesy or is it standard tactics for 'em?

6)Is is best to just run about the battlefield while the hammerheads and the crisis suits take some pot shots to get the vic. points necessary to win?

Sorry if this sounds noob to you guys, but I just need to clear this out for a friend who wants to go mech-tau.
Old 01 Nov 2006, 10:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: A question about devilfishes..........

1. no, they aren't classified as fast (though if I'm wrong someone please correct me)

2. I've always been a fan of full squads, although some will say minimized squads will be better. Those are the people that take the devilfish purely for the devilfish and don't really want the firewarriors.

3. I guess I'm reading #3 wrong, could you possibly rephrase the question, or someone else will answer it (sorry). Do you mean mountie as in the devilfish or the fire warriors inside? Devilfish I usually go: Smart Missile System, Multi tracker, Decoy Launchers. Fire Warriors only really get upgraded with photon grenades and a shas' upgrade.

4. You can only deploy your troops if you moved 12" or less. Otherwise yes you can both occupy and capture with the transport.

5. I would say that is a standard tactic. It could be seen as cheesy, but I'm more of a 2 hammerheads in a 750 pt game is cheesy kind of guy....

6. You could do that, but I feel that you would be wasting both the weaponry on your devilfish (especially if you upgraded to warfish- Smart Missile System) and the weaponry in the squad thats mounted.
Old 01 Nov 2006, 10:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I see.

For #3, it is the fire warriors. :P My friend is insistent that the devilfish be upgraded only with a decoy launcher. No more no less.

As for the reply for #6, my friend wants a powerful endgame, and that means just taking quarters at the really last moment of the game. So basically i think he wants a cheap force, but yet he love his markerlights.
Old 01 Nov 2006, 11:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
No, they cannot. They are skimmers, but they aren't fast.

Quote:
I don't know about 'best', but the most common are probably 12 and 10.

Quote:
This is where the difference can be made. Generally, a 12-strong squad won't have any wargear, while a 10-strong is usually that number so it can take a pair of drones along for the ride. This question is almost strickly opinion though.

Quote:
4)Can they be used to capture table quarters with the fire warriors inside? for example can they rush at the end-game and deploy all of the firer warriors to capture a table quarter fast
Of course. I'm curious why you're unsure about this one, as it's what transports do ... Be wary, however. As skimmers don't block line of sight, if your opponent gets another turn, he could have a chance to shoot your fire warriors.

Quote:
I wouldn't think so ...

Quote:
6)Is is best to just run about the battlefield while the hammerheads and the crisis suits take some pot shots to get the vic. points necessary to win?
I suppose this could be true if you're playing certain scenarios, and likewise, it's a fair way to deny your opponent victory points as well. But for the most part, you should be making better use of transport, and the units inside. I mean, a bear minimum of 140 points (6 man squad, 1 fish) would go into this unit, probably more, so it's probably best to do a little more with it. That would depend on the size of the game, however.

Quote:
As for the reply for #6, my friend wants a powerful endgame, and that means just taking quarters at the really last moment of the game. So basically i think he wants a cheap force, but yet he love his markerlights.
Which way is he getting these markerlights? Because if he's trying to use just a basic devilfish with pathfinders, he's practically wasting those 80(85?) point by not making it something more offensive.

Old 01 Nov 2006, 18:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodle bug
Well, I have a few things that I have to clear out with devilfishes in all.

Sorry if this sounds noob to you guys, but I just need to clear this out for a friend who wants to go mech-tau.
1) has been answered.

2) 8-12. 12 sometimes is too many, and sometimes 8 is too small. 8, 10, or 12 can all work depending on the role.

3) I dont put SMS on anything but a pathfinder fish. The pathfinder fish is generally empty, and the extra shots going it's way for the sms aren't a problem becuase no one is inside to die 90% of the time. I put multitrackers and decoy launchers standard on all fishes (otherwise you can't shoot!) and sometimes the cheap targeting array for bs 4.

4) capping table quarters is an option. However, sometimes you should deploy the firewarriors statically to start (when return fire is minimal) and then pack them up to contest or redeploy. Other times they should start in the fish and either respond to an enemy attack (with other support also able to move 12" and still fire to full effect, this can be EXTREMELY effective at completely stopping a powerful attack) or exploit a weakness and attack themselves. Never send a lone devilfish anywhere unless you have long range support to help it out. "We act as one, lest we perish alone..."

5) standard tactics. It is NOT cheesy to contest a table quarter with a devilfish with troops in it. Table quarter contestation is almost never cheesy anyway.

6) Not always. See number 4.