Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Feeding frenzy tactic - Piranha drone assault
Closed Thread
Old 31 Oct 2006, 14:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Feeding frenzy tactic - Piranha drone assault

Imagine an infiltrated scout squad, armed with sniper rifles, getting ready to send pinning fire at your precious firewarriors. Of course, they are out of range of your pulse rifles and you are not ready to direct any of your precious long-range broadside of hammerhead fire at this puny squad. What do you do?

Drone assault with piranhas!

Flank the sniper squad with your piranhas (preferably 2 or more), ultimately using a 12" move to get them within 6" of the offending bunch of scouts. Using the open-top vehicle rules, disembark those nasty, little frisbees of yours, take the obligatory TL carbine shot, then assault away!

Unlike the firewarriors, the drones' initiative equals that of a scout so you strike at the same time and with a 4+ armor save, they are likely to survive the initial salvo. At best, you have bumped off most of the sniper squad and at worst you should be tying that squad up for at least a subsequent turn in close combat. Unless your opponent gets really lucky or you get really bad rolls, you have effectively neutralized a long range squad (works for other ranged squads, too) and left your piranhas to go do some other tank/infantry hunting of their own.

This is a good tactic for tying up isolated units that you don't want to immediately engage. You will eventually lose the drones, but not before that have done both tangible and intangible damage to your opponents strategy.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 17:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Feeding frenzy tactic - Piranha drone assault

You don't need to assault. You can disrupt thier plan in 2 ways by just shooting: 1) hopefully get a wound and pin the unit so they can't shoot 2) get them worried about being pinned so they waste thier long-range weapons on a close-in target. Keep in mind, too, you don't have to put them in total danger, either. Putting them within 18" is enough of a threat for those snipers to ignore anything else.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 22:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yup, assaulting out of a Piranha with free gun drones is a great way to tie up that annoying squad of havocs, devastators, or even 5 man las/plas team. Not only will 4 drones get a chance to wound/pin their target beforehand, but with I4 and a 4+ save those drones are one of our better CC units. Don't gloss over the fact that they are technically "free", and even if they fail miserably(due to some poor dice rolls), you haven't really lost anything which counts for victory points.
Old 01 Nov 2006, 04:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal'Yth Riyon Mal'Caor (Orion549)
You don't need to assault. You can disrupt thier plan in 2 ways by just shooting: 1) hopefully get a wound and pin the unit so they can't shoot 2) get them worried about being pinned so they waste thier long-range weapons on a close-in target. Keep in mind, too, you don't have to put them in total danger, either. Putting them within 18" is enough of a threat for those snipers to ignore anything else.
Pinning doesn't stop shooting, just movement. They would still be able to use those sniper rifles. To completely stop them you have to assault them with the drones.

Now this is where it gets complicated. The drones might have an Initiative that makes them go at the same time as the scouts, but if the scouts are in terrain that doesn't matter. I would still assault with them, if for no other reason than to tie them up for a turn or two. Just don't expect them to win that combat.
Old 01 Nov 2006, 05:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

A pinned unit may not move, shoot, or assault or preform any other action. Pg 32
Old 01 Nov 2006, 06:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Uh, last I checked (and Nathan here has backed up) a pinned unit can do nothing. So those snipers are out of action and you don't have to put your drones at risk of getting shot back (if you're slick about it).

Now, if you're standing out in the middle of the table, then yes, I would assault them (getting hit in assault would be better than an army of guns coming down on you) but if you can hide them, then shoot instead.
Old 01 Nov 2006, 10:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Doh, your right (dang, actually should have won a game about a month back) Sorry about that. :-[
Old 01 Nov 2006, 11:14   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think that all "assaulting out of Piranha" stuff is something of a loophole in the rules. Piranha is open-topped, true, but the drone recesses are exactly the same kind as these on the Devilfish or Hammerhead, and you can't assault out of these. GW should either let the drones assault out of any vehicle (as the crew compartment may be enclosed or not, but the "passengers" (drones) are technically outside), or forbid it altogether >.

My 3 cents.

- Caboose, an alien
Old 01 Nov 2006, 13:33   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core_Commander
I think that all "assaulting out of Piranha" stuff is something of a loophole in the rules. Piranha is open-topped, true, but the drone recesses are exactly the same kind as these on the Devilfish or Hammerhead, and you can't assault out of these.
I disagree that this is a loophole where the piranha are concerned. The piranha both suffer and benefit from the opentop rule. Drone assault is small compensation for that +1 on the damage roll and the extra hit for blast weapons. I believe that GW made the Piranha opentop in order the balance the vehicle so the "feeding frenzy" tactic simply takes advantage of the opentop concept.

The alternative is to make the Piranha closed, thereby negating the strong negatives of the opentop and "fixing" your perceived loophole. I would love if DF and others could drone assault. However, I assume that the nature of the opentop provides the pilot's who launch the drones better visibility into the fray, thereby granting the drones the ability to both shoot and assault. Due to the closetop nature of the vehicle, a DF pilot cannot accurately guide his drones during the initial launch and on subsequent turns the drones have formed their own unit and act independently (sufficiently fluffy?).

Incidentally, I think that the "feeding frenzy" nomenclature really only applies with three or more piranha, given the fact that all drones in a squad must disembark at the same time, as the same unit. Six or more little piranha spawn voraciously converging on a lone unit... sounds like a frenzy to me.
Old 01 Nov 2006, 13:55   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelTau
The alternative is to make the Piranha closed, thereby negating the strong negatives of the opentop and "fixing" your perceived loophole. I would love if DF and others could drone assault. However, I assume that the nature of the opentop provides the pilot's who launch the drones better visibility into the fray, thereby granting the drones the ability to both shoot and assault. Due to the closetop nature of the vehicle, a DF pilot cannot accurately guide his drones during the initial launch and on subsequent turns the drones have formed their own unit and act independently (sufficiently fluffy?).
Sufficiently .

- Caboose, an alien
Closed Thread