Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shas'ui with samurai sword
Closed Thread
Old 30 Oct 2006, 12:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Shas'ui with samurai sword

Hi everyone!
I'm planning to convert my Shas'ui to bear samurai sword (already cut out the rifle from the arm which is holding it up)
Is it OK with the fluff or not (I'm not quiet sure)

P.S. He will be pointing to his fellows with his other hand. His rifle I'm planning to stick to his backpack
Old 30 Oct 2006, 12:48   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Shas'ui with samurai sword

While no, fluff wise it is highly unlikely to happen unless it is farsight army, there is no reason why not. I mean c'mon, you're not wanting better rules, or to make CC Tau, you want to make a conversion, so I say, by all means go for it! If it looks good, then there is no reason not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 12:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Given that the Tau are an alien race, and that Samurai lie in the distant past o almost 37 Millenia before the Tau Empire first had contact with Humanity, I'd propose that it is highly unlikely, fluffwise, for a Shas'ui to be wielding a bona fide Samurai sword.

More unlikely than a Daemon Weapon...

Having said that, for the purposes of a conversion, it is pluasible that a Tau Shas'ui could be literally wielding a variation of the Ta'lissera bonding ritual blade. In this manner, I imagine that more than just a few Shas take up 'martial weapons training' as part of their spare time and private studies into the various arts of battle and warfare. Of course having 'just a samurai sword', whilst cool, is probably a bit 'meh' in proper terms. Having an ancient heirloom of the Cadre passed on to the Shas who does particularly well in some form of a competition is probably possible. It's probably not advisable he's actually going to be that brilliant with it, but if it looks good: why not?

Xisor
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:06   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Interesting, are you going to use that to represent the upgrade of bonding knife? Or is it merely for the purpose of modeling? ???

I can see why not. I am not sure about the fluffs side of this issue, but for gamewise, if you actually thought about having him as a CC unit, then you could probably give him Vectored Retro-Thrusters & Stimulant injector upgrades.

That should give you a fairly versatile CC unit (But not absolutely powerful) for tying up certain enemy units to disable their shooting ability. (If such unit is a threat with their shooting power)

Although I think, if this is given to the HQ commander, he could be a very interesting unit as you can also adopt the tactic of letting him to be counter assault unit. As he is an Ind. Character, basically, the enemy cannot target him at all if he is not the closest unit to the enemy shooter. (As described on page. 51 in the BGB; section Shooting at Characters)

Use this in combination with other units so that you can engage in close-range gunfight with things like Fire Warrior or allow Kroots to be able to attack that enemy assault unit (in the case where Kroot are too slow to reach them) & further supporting him in the fight. Then you could probably disengage out from the commander out from the combat for other task...
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:19   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Uh, he said a shas'ui, so probably means the squad leader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:26   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden knowledge, the shadow ninja rabbit!
Uh, he said a shas'ui, so probably means the squad leader...
Yup, he did. However, that does not mean that a Shas'ui would have to be with other member. In other words, he can operate alone as a Monat. (A single man team)
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Background-wise, swords are not a good call. Even the Bonding "knife" doesn't have a blade.

However, from a modeling and gaming standpoint, such a model can score you points, especially in a tourney situation. In my last RTT my fully painted Tau army scored 25% less in painting than a Tau themed army with horses, samurai swords, and traditional Japanese back banners despite not having all bases done and a few panels still showing black primer.

Ultimately, as long as you don't change the model's stats do what you want. It is your army after all.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 16:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm actually doing a very similar conversion, which I stole off Malcaor (thanks dude!). It was originally supposed to be a special character, almost like a Farsight, but i'm doing it for each of my Shas'ui (there's two of them).

I'm using a Howling Banshee arm (with the sword), which, when added to a Shas'ui, can be explained as being a bionic arm of sorts, since by Tau use bionics with their soldiers. The blade itself could be the Bonding Knife or some variant, or perhaps the Shas settle their disputes similarly to Ethereals and use some kind of Honor Blade.

Lastly, the conversion makes sense. Where does a Shas'Ui get his extra attack on his profile from? Adding a sword to him would make perfect sense. His rifle, while he can't hold it up, will be strapped to his backpack. I'm assuming that since he's such a veteran, he can just whip out his rifle and fire it.

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
Old 30 Oct 2006, 20:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xisor
Given that the Tau are an alien race, and that Samurai lie in the distant past o almost 37 Millenia before the Tau Empire first had contact with Humanity, I'd propose that it is highly unlikely, fluffwise, for a Shas'ui to be wielding a bona fide Samurai sword.

Xisor
i read that fire warriors where based on japanese foot soldiers on wikipedia.

oh and Kais in the book Fire Warrior carries a knife, with which he is able to slash open a greater demon of Khorne.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 21:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoniccam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xisor

Xisor
i read that fire warriors where based on japanese foot soldiers on wikipedia.

oh and Kais in the book Fire Warrior carries a knife, with which he is able to slash open a greater demon of Khorne.
Well, it's loosely true that Japanese Foot Soldiers did have a role to play in the imagery of the Tau Shas'la. However, it remains true that in background terms a Shas'la is highly unlikely to be wielding an actual Samurai Sword. As in one which was human made, with the knowledge and thinking of the Samurai still behind it. Mainly because such things have been lost to the depths of history.

I'd still heartily recommend using a Samurai Sword 'model', but not actually telling people it's a Samurai Sword. Tell them it's an older ritual blade used as part of the 'hand to hand' training that many Shas go through, and that this particular Shas'ui has found a use for it more'n a few times in actual battles...

Xisor