Send a message via MSN to Olannon
Default [BatRep] Tau vs Space Marines, 750 points Cleanse

Yes, you read the headline Enjoy ~

[size=15pt]<<Army Lists>>[/size]

[size=13pt]<<Tau Empire>>[/size]

[hr]
[hr]

HQ 1: Shas'el
Plasma rifle, missile pod, targeting array, hard-wired multi-tracker Total: 97pts

[hr]

Elite 1: Shas'ui XV8
Plasma rifle, missile pod, targeting array, hard-wired multi-tracker Total: 77pts

[hr]

Troop 1: 9 Shas'la Fire Warriors
Devilfish APC with decoy launcher, multi-tracker, targeting array, smart missile system Total: 210pts

Troop 2: 10 Kroot
Total: 70pts

[hr]

Heavy Support 1: Hammerhead Gunship
Burst cannons, railgun, decoy launcher, multi-tracker Total: 165pts

Heavy Support 2: Hammerhead Gunship
Burst cannons, ion cannon, decoy launcher, multi-tracker Total: 130pts

[size=14pt]Army Total: 749 pts [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

[size=13pt]++Space Marines++[/size]

[hr]
[hr]

HQ 1: Reclusiarch + 5 Command Terminators
Chaplain with: terminator armour, storm bolter. Terminators have 2 Assault Cannons. Squad has furious charge Total: 373

[hr]

Troop 1: 5 Tactical Marines
Lascannon, plasma gun, razorback Total: 170pts

Troop 2: 5 Tactical Marines
Heavy Bolter Total: 80pts

[hr]

Heavy Support 1: Predator Destructor
Lascannon sponsons Total: 125pts

[size=14pt]Army Total: 748 pts [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

[size=15pt]<<Unit disclaimer>>[/size]

Well, we don't have all the units yet, and some aren't painted. Here are the ones you need to know (refer to the deployment picture):

-The converted Leman Russ is a predator
-The grey tanks is a Razorback
-The Black SkyRay looking tanks is a converted Ionhead
-The Imperial Guard are Kroot
-We lacked 1 terminator model so we used a dreadnought. After all; it is tactical dreadnought armour, isn't it?

[size=15pt]<<Battlefield>> [/size]

As you can see, a fair bit of fantasy terrain to give us enough. Little terrain = boring; you can just line up the units and shoot across (boring). Might as well flip a coin to see who wins.

The field was randomly generated with the fellow agreement from both players. We usually have the ruined city in the middle of the board as it makes for some interesting games.

The woods are a little larger than the trees might imply (~2" in every direction). This gives us the option to move the trees and place units where they are and still retain the wood area (size-wise).

Anyway, here it is:

[size=15pt]<<Deployment>>[/size]

Alright so we rolled for table quarters. I rolled a 5. My friend laughed and said "Watch me roll a 6". Guess what he got...

Anyway, he chose the northwest corner; me getting the south-east one. Deciding to deep-strike his terminators (as usual, causing a real pain...) he had precious few units to deploy:

[size=7pt]small note: the black dice in the middle building marks the center of the battlefield as well as the turn-number[/size]

I won the roll for first turn and decided to go first; hoping to quickly annihilate the heavy bolter squad on the hill so my infantry could play around safely.

[size=15pt]<<Various teasers>>[/size]

Tactical Marines staring down at the wrecked Devilfish and the Fire Warriors after having shot it down and entangled the squad:

Nothing special but here's my Railhead doing Useless Action 33234598 this game:

The Tacticals standing as the "Unit of the Match" after the 6th turn:

Fire Warriors deploying from a stunned fish to hopefully kill the remaining 2 Terminators and Chaplain:

Shas'el and Shas'ui ready to fire on the terminators a few inches away:

Shas'el and Entangled Fire Warriors at the end of the game:

Alright, so we've been through most of the introduction. Here's the battle! Enjoy ~

[size=15pt]..::Turn 1::..[/size]

Surveying the battlefield, Shas'el Shi Kais was confident that his troops could overcome this obstacle. Their instructions were clear; kill the enemy and capture the field. He had faced this enemy before. Known as "Space Marines" , "Angels of Death" and a myriad other names by humans, these were tough and determined foes to face. Nevertheless, he had confident in his Cadre.

[size=12pt]<<Tau Empire>>[/size]

The entire army moved north-west. I was eager to get the Heavy Bolter squad down quickly to clear up a few paths for my fragile Kroot and Fire Warriors (wouldn't want a rapid-fire drop if they have a heavy bolter and 4 marines pointing my way).

Basically my entire army fired at these marines. Starting off with a submunition and going through the various other units, these guys received an amazing amount of firepower. This being said, they did pretty well. In fact, only 1 of them died. Oh lord. Both Crisis Suits failed to kill anyone, and my friend passed around 10-12 armour saves. The only casualty was inflicted by the Ionhead (after hitting with all 3 shots and rolling 2 1's...). The Kroot were just out of range, failing to shoot anything.

Using the assault phase to get my Crisis safe behind cover, I gave my friend the dice, hoping for better luck next turn, and that I could withstand most of his firepower.

[size=12pt]++Space Marines++[/size]

Moving out the Predator and Razorback to get some better positions, the Space Marines were on the run. They knew that they had to get a few good lanes of fire in order to dictate the game and threaten my important elements.

There was little else to be done. The Heavy Bolter Marines passed their target priority test and shot at the Kroot. 2 Hits, 1 wound, 1 Cover saved passed.

At this time I had the "Calm before the Storm" feeling... 1 Model killed during the turn, but a lot of movement. This is an overview at the end of the turn:

[size=15pt]..::Turn 2::..[/size]

Failing to kill the marines on the hill could prove to be costly. Ordering his fellow Shas to double their efforts, the army again turned their attention and firepower against the 4 remaining marines on the hill. As they blaster away, Shi Kais saw a number of figures suddenly appearing out of no-where. He knew these warriors. They were known as Terminators, and for good reasons.

The Devilfish moved closer, deploying its Fire Warriors. The Railhead moved south again, targeting the Razorback that had deployed the Marines. The Crisis' and the Ionhead also moved closer to the Marines on the hill.

The combined efforts of the Fire Warriors, Devilfish and Ionhead saw the Marines all dead on that hill (finally! I didn't even get to shoot the Ion Cannon...).

One of my Crisis' suddenly found that he had no-one to target! The other had LOS to the Razorback, as did the Railhead. They both fired, but to little avail. Loads of misses and failed rolls to glance/penetrate saw the Razorback surviving without a scratch.

The assault phase saw me moving my Crisis' into cover again.

Terminators arrived. Targeting a spot ahead of my Railhead, he scattered quite a few inches north-west.

The remaining Tactical squad moved up behind the wall, having a very good position which they kept pretty much for the rest of the game. The Predator moved back behind the rocks (no idea why though...), and the Razorback moved to engage my Devilfish and Fire Warriors in future turns.

The shooting phase was pretty short. The Terminators opened fire on my Railhead, unbelievably failing to glance it.

There were no assaults to be made. At this point I was rather happy as nothing in my entire army had seen as much as a scratch yet... Yet... Well, here's the situation at the end of turn 2:

[size=15pt]..::Turn 3::..[/size]

Destroying the Marines which posed a serious threat to the infantry, Shi Kais was pleased. However, recent events had caught his attention. The teleporting Terminators was a real pain. The entire army was told to move in and engage these behemoths. The sooner they were dead, the better thought Shi Kais as he activated his jetpack. Shouting "Ko'vash Tau'va" and firing his weapon systems like mad, he knew the rets of the army was also trying their level best to kill the enemy. This was of utmost importance, and Shi Kais knew...

Ok so now the game REALLY sparked off! From something that seemed like a skirmish, it was now more of a real engagement.

I moved my Ionhead and Devilfish to make a perimeter against the Terminators. This forced them to either engage one of them, or move around. This ensured my Crisis suits could stay close; rapid-fire and still jump away into safety without fear of getting a powerfist or 4 in their faces. It also kept them more or less in one place, a good thing.

I also moved the Kroot out a little, intending to help out with the Terminators in future turns (and watch their turn 4 achievements later on!).

My Railhead moved to get a rear-shot on the Predator.

So, shooting phase! My Railhead targeted the Predator first of all. Needing a 3+ to hit and auto-penetrate I was hoping lady luck had turned to my side. However, the '2' on the dice quickly confirmed otherwise.

The rest of the army shot at the Terminators, killing 3. Note that the Fire Warriors were being saved for next turn. He saved a proportional amount of saves, and failed around 1/6. However, his invulnerable saves is a pain: he shook off 2 out of 3 plasma shots.

Feeling ok about killing half the squad (I was sure I could get the 2 assault cannon Terminators next turn), I jumped back with my suits and waited for his retaliation.

Moving his predator out again with LOS to the Devilfish and Hammerhead, he had some evil intentions. The Razorback also moved to get a shot at the Devilfish. The rest of the army (2 units :P) stayed put, reading their ranged weapons.

The Predator started with stunning my Railhead. Uh-oh! Might lose it next turn... The Terminators followed up with stunning the Ionhead. Oh my, both Hammerheads stunned?!? The Razorback then fired at the Devilfish (he had a side-armour shot). Hitting with 2 shots, he duly rolled a 6; stunning this one too. Oh my God, 3/3 stuns this far. The Tactical Marines finished of the shooting nicely; glancing the Railhead and destroying its railgun. Nice...

The Terminators moved into melee with the Ionhead. Rolling an obscene amount of hits (ok ok he has "Litanies of Hate", but still...) he got another 2 glancing hits. These resulted in a 1 and a 3. I was lucky this did not do more damage to my poor Ionhead.

At this point I was fairly afraid of losing half my army next turn. All skimmers stunned is not a good thing for Tau armies. Here's an overview:

[size=15pt]..::Turn 4::..[/size]

Seeing the tanks being severaly shaken by mighty blasts from laser weaponry, Shi Kais was worried. Half of the Terminators were still standing tall, and none of his tanks were able to assist in killing them. Hoping for a better situation soon, he activated his jetpack again to get to grips with the Terminators.

Moving my Kroot closer and deploying my Fire Warriors, I was praying that I could kill the remaining Terminators. The Crisis naturally went into their rapid-fire positions. If I could not kill the Terminators now I fear that all would be lost.

I was really frustrated that I could not move nor shoot with a single skimmer, but I had to accept the fact that they were all stunned.

My Fire Warriors opened up with a lot of hits. Finally the dice seemed to like me. Getting quite a few wounds too, my friend picked up the dice and rolled them. I was praying silently for a 1. He got 2 1's. That meant both of his assault cannons were gone! Yes! Just the Reclusiarch left.

Hoping the Kroot could keep up with the Fire Warriors, they opened fire on the Chaplain. They got 6 hits out of 20 shots... Oh dear, I was now worried that he wouldn't die this turn. However, 5 of these wounded, and my friend managed to roll snake eyes again! Hahaha, bite that

My Crisis Suits were both free to shoot at something else. I found my Shas'el was lacking LOS to anything, resulting in a wasted turn for his sake. The Shas'ui on the other hand targeted the Razorback, destroying it with a hot plasma shot (the missiles both failed to penetrate or glance).

My friend was partially in shock by the sudden loss of the Terminators. They did manage to stun the Ionhead- thrice (ok, one was only a shake, but still...). Well, "moving on" he said...

His whole army stayed put. The Marines targeted the Ionhead, killing it (he rolled a '4' on the penetrate roll and got a 5...). The Predator targeted the Railhead; but failed to both glance and penetrate (he rolled a 3 on the 1 lascannon that actually hit).

At this point I felt that the tables were turned. Losing the Ionhead was a blow, but having 2/3 skimmer alive after they had all been stunned was nice. Next turn would be interesting... Here is the picture at the end of the 4th turn:

[size=15pt]..::Turn 5::..[/size]

Surveying the field Shi Kais was happy. The main threat was gone, and they had gained some breathing space before moving on to the remaining elements of the enemy army. He readied himself to move on, telling the rest of the army to move with him. He was confident that they could win the day, although things had looked grim the Greater Good would prevail.

I moved my Kroot back to the woods to secure the table quarter, leaving the rest of the army free to advance (they wouldn't have done much anyway). The rest moved toward the Marines, hoping to reduce their numbers.

The shooting face saw 2 Marines bite the dust due to the Devilfish and the Shas'ui Crisis. I forgot that my Railhead had lost its railgun and fired at the Predator. I didn't penetrate it however, so no harm done (we agreed in turn 6 that we would've had to go back and re-play turns 5 and 6 if it had cause any damage, after I suddenly remember it had lost its railgun).

Moving my suits into safety I was pretty sure I would have this game by now.

Not much to move...

The Predator targeted the Devilfish, but failed to cause any damage (wow!). The Marines showed the tank how to do it and sent it crashing down, killing 3 Fire Warriors with it. This meant they'd be entangled in the 6th turn...

(Sorry; forgot to take a picture)

[size=15pt]..::Turn 6::..[/size]

There were precious few enemies left, and Shi Kais knew he would just have to hold his ground. The battle was as good as won.

Well, I made a number of mistakes this turn. Or, in fact it was just 1, at least major one.

The Hammerhead moved into safety, and the Crisis' lined up to shoot the Marines and tank.

The Predator was stunned by a lucky missile coming from the Shas'ui. The Shas'el targeted the Marines but failed to kill any.

Now, I got things the wrong way. The Predator was in the north-west corner (by an inch!). I somehow thought that we started south-west / north-east! As such, I wanted to deny him the table quarter. The only way to do this was to send in my Shas'ui; in the middle of the Tactical's LOS. Figuring he needed to pass a target priority test to avoid shooting at the Fire Warriors and then hitting, I reckoned probability was on my side and moved him into the north-west table quarter...

Not much to do... Passing the target priority test they duly shot and killed my Shas'ui. Counting up VP's I realized that he died to no avail, since the quarter he was in was where he started = no VP's for him = no reason for me to contest.

Oh well, here's the situation when the battle's over:

A few notes:

-My Railhead killed nothing
-My Shas'el killed nothing
-My Ionhead killed 1 marine

Wow! Half the points of my army did next to nothing. However, they received a LOT of enemy fire, thereby taking the heat off of my other units. However, this shows one thing: although a part of my army doesn't do very much, the rest can still kill off quite a few guys! This means that I would hardly call this an "all the eggs in one basket approach", seeing as the various parts of the army can cause equal destruction.

A note must also go the the Lascannon wielding Tactical Squad:

-killed Ionhead
-killed Devilfish; including 3 Fire Warriors
-killed a Crisis
-Shot off a railgun

We decided these guys where the "Men of the Match" aka "Marines of the Match".

Counting up VP's I won with ~200:

A Solid Victory to the Tau Empire!

Note to self: Remember to leave the notebook out next time pictures are taken

~Olannon
Old 30 Oct 2006, 10:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: [BatRep] Tau vs Space Marines, 750 points Cleanse

not bad. there are a few things you could do to improve though.
1] replace the railhead with some broadsides, there cheaper, have TWIN-LINKED railguns as well as smart missiles, and can come in squads. so youll save a few points to spend on the rest of the army.
2] actaully use the kroot. kroot are best at close combat, but all you did was shoot with them, use them to tie up important enemie sqauds.
3] if you have any spare points get a pirahna, with FB. at the moment it seems you wont do to well againt tanks, a fusion blaster somewhere would really help.
4] imo the lascannon in the marine squad did more damage than the heavybolter would have, use your infantry to take out the lascannon first if you have several tanks, because a lascannon is more likely to kill a hammerhead/devilfish than a HB is.
5]markerlights, they are your freinds. get one for that firewarrior squad, it will improve your chances of killing.

oh and i forgot do you measure from the gun to the enemy or from the base to the enemy?[with vehicles]
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven324
not bad. there are a few things you could do to improve though.
1] replace the railhead with some broadsides, there cheaper, have TWIN-LINKED railguns as well as smart missiles, and can come in squads. so youll save a few points to spend on the rest of the army.
2] actaully use the kroot. kroot are best at close combat, but all you did was shoot with them, use them to tie up important enemie sqauds.
3] if you have any spare points get a pirahna, with FB. at the moment it seems you wont do to well againt tanks, a fusion blaster somewhere would really help.
4] imo the lascannon in the marine squad did more damage than the heavybolter would have, use your infantry to take out the lascannon first if you have several tanks, because a lascannon is more likely to kill a hammerhead/devilfish than a HB is.
5]markerlights, they are your freinds. get one for that firewarrior squad, it will improve your chances of killing.

oh and i forgot do you measure from the gun to the enemy or from the base to the enemy?[with vehicles]
broadsides may have more accurate railgun shots but they are easily outmaneuvered so they will get less chances to fire, and you sacrifice the submunition which provides a great deal of added flexibility.

in my experience piranha are of limited use, maybe it's just me but they always, always get destroyed the 1st turn they break cover and end up achieving nothing.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 15:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

Quote:
Suffice is to say that I play Mechanized Tau. This is not the place to discuss this issue anyway; it's a battle report.

Quote:
actaully use the kroot. kroot are best at close combat, but all you did was shoot with them, use them to tie up important enemie sqauds.
I did use the Kroot, just strategically. There was no need for them to move further up the field. Their shooting proved very valuable, too. They also secured a table quarter towards the end. Well worth the points I invested in them. I don't do whatever it takes to get them into melee. If the tactical situation demands me to keep them defensively, I will do so (such as this game).

Quote:
if you have any spare points get a pirahna, with FB. at the moment it seems you wont do to well againt tanks, a fusion blaster somewhere would really help.
Usually my Hammerheads and Crisis deal with tanks better than what I managed this game. If I'd need more anti-tank I'd get Crisis with fusion or missile pod - not piranha.

Quote:
imo the lascannon in the marine squad did more damage than the heavybolter would have, use your infantry to take out the lascannon first if you have several tanks, because a lascannon is more likely to kill a hammerhead/devilfish than a HB is.
I wanted to get the HB squad down as soon as possible because it was far away from the rest of his army. Isolating and killing this squad quickly meant safer passage for infantry throughout the game. That being said, I consider the lascannon squad mroe dangerous - I just couldn't touch it at this stage. A well-placed deep-strike might also have trapped me if I had tried too hard to get this squad.

Quote:
markerlights, they are your freinds. get one for that firewarrior squad, it will improve your chances of killing.
Not gonna happen. Did you see how many turns my FW's shot? Remember that markerlights are heavy weapons, the squad needs to stay put for them to be shot. This is very contradictionary to how I play. There are generally those with, and those without, markerlights. I am among the ones without.

I measure from the gun on the vehicle to the base of whatever I am shooting at.

Quote:
in my experience piranha are of limited use, maybe it's just me but they always, always get destroyed the 1st turn they break cover and end up achieving nothing.
Agree. They are only good for capturing objectives / quarters towards the last turn, and I don't feel like spending ~9% of my points on this- I'd rather have my Fireknife

~Olannon
Closed Thread