Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Special Issue Crisis Weapons
Old 29 Oct 2006, 23:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Special Issue Crisis Weapons

I don;t see a lot of comments on this board regarding the SI crises weapons as part of a set up.

From the outside they appear pretty damn good to me, but they are a little pricey and I have only played three games (and have not tried them) So I am unsure.

Thoughts? Here are mine.

AIRBURSTING FRAGMENTATION PROJECTOR

These seams to me like an expensive flamer, but you do not have to get in close! Also in my building campaign we are building "take all comers" lists. Not custom building to face our enemies.

There is a Tyranid player in our group and I see a value in having a weapon like this to toast those squads that run from terrain to terrain piece before overwhelming you as a horde.

I have a question about this item though. I have trouble understanding how it works from the book. Is it a blast weapon that you roll to hit, or does it drift with a scatter die?

CYCLIC ION BLASTER

I like this item too, A little better even. Seams to me a very multi use weapon. Say you got a Shas'el set up do help do a number on SM tactical squads. You give him targeting array, (for BS5), and plasma rifle, this gun, and hardwire a multi-tracker.

So you jump to 12" of a enemy and open up with 7 shots hitting on 2's with out marker light help!

Now the plasma rifle is good for 2 kills on SM's, the CIB say scores 4 hits on average, you are pushing limits to get more then 1 6, so some people may say the fusion blaster is better as the second weapon cause its cheaper and the CIB needs 5's to wound. HOWEVER, I say if you are looking to toast marines, there is something to be said for the extra POTENTIAL offered by the CIB. There will be more then a few occasions you roll 2 or 3 6's and get to watch your opponent cry as he has to take off 4-5 marines from this set up! Also its good cause you do have the high rate of fire and with AP 4 stand to kill a bundle of light armoured troopers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dywnarc

mistyped the title, I hope someoen can fix that for me please. :-[
-- Hello, just to note, you can edit it yourself. Just use the Edit or Modifty button and you can change aspects of your post without having to post again. Cheers! -Mal
Dywnarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2006, 09:52   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Special Issue Crisis Weapons

Quote:

CYCLIC ION BLASTER

I like this item too, A little better even. Seams to me a very multi use weapon. Say you got a Shas'el set up do help do a number on SM tactical squads. You give him targeting array, (for BS5), and plasma rifle, this gun, and hardwire a multi-tracker.

So you jump to 12" of a enemy and open up with 7 shots hitting on 2's with out marker light help!

Now the plasma rifle is good for 2 kills on SM's, the CIB say scores 4 hits on average, you are pushing limits to get more then 1 6, so some people may say the fusion blaster is better as the second weapon cause its cheaper and the CIB needs 5's to wound. HOWEVER, I say if you are looking to toast marines, there is something to be said for the extra POTENTIAL offered by the CIB. There will be more then a few occasions you roll 2 or 3 6's and get to watch your opponent cry as he has to take off 4-5 marines from this set up! Also its good cause you do have the high rate of fire and with AP 4 stand to kill a bundle of light armoured troopers.

Why not give it to a shas'o with stim injector, iridium armour and if your enemy has lots of jump troops a vectored thruster. Then you have a 4W 5BS commander who ignores half of the wounds scored against him, those that get past his 2+ armour save, and while he is hopping up with his CIB to blast some infantry, if he gets jumped by long-ranged assault units he can jump away at the end of the end of the combat, which he is likely to survive unless it is the assault unit from hell. In fact give him a shield generator for thouse nasty power/ap1-2 weapons.

Answer: tomorrow
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2006, 12:47   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Please correct me if I am wrong as I am not really a Tau player myself. (But I have been thinking about starting them for quite a while)

Quote:
I have a question about this item though. I have trouble understanding how it works from the book. Is it a blast weapon that you roll to hit, or does it drift with a scatter die?
Given that this wep does not state about having a quality of being an Ordnance wep, then it would require you to roll to hit. So, if you miss, you miss.

In addition, it also states that it does have a quality of being a Barrage wep. (which is designated with the letter G in front of the range XX ") From this, it means that you would have to follow all the rules in the Barrage Weapons as described on page 31 in the BGB. Basically, once you manage to hit with the wep, you would also have to roll for the scattering.
wper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2006, 12:49   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

You still have to roll to hit? I did not know that, but I have only used it once. Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:14   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Making a Near unkillable Shav'O and givign him rectothrusters has crossed my mind. I am not agaist that ideal, but hell that is ONE expensive commander at that point.

I am new to this game, but I am a buget shopper in these games and i would keep looking at how many more scoring units I could have on the table .

One thing I have noticed in 40k from watching, is that a lot of players seam to place a high prioity on killing commanders, and they do this no matter what he costs. So if a large number of people are going to target the heck out of him anyways, why make that habbit pay off?

I might be wrong ont hat, but just my observation.
Dywnarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:16   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden knowledge, the shadow ninja rabbit!
You still have to roll to hit? I did not know that, but I have only used it once. Oops.
I would assume so. Ordnance wep would normally allow the shooter to place the pie plates on the targeted enemy unit without having to rely on the BS. (Actually to be exact, a single model) This is why Ordnance can be described as quite powerful given that they will always land on the target. The only bad side is, of course, they do scatter.

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that Airbursting Fragmentation Projector (AFP) is also a Blast wep which would require you to hit. This is carried out in the same manner as Hammerhead Railgun. The only exception is, with the railgun, it does not scatter whereas AFP does.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually the AFL does not need to roll to hit.

It's a guess range weapon, meaning you just place the template on the target (who you don't need line of sight too!) and roll a scatter dice and 1d6, or 2d6 and picking the highest if you didn't have line of sight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:32   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Thats what I thought, and how I played it, as a barrage weapon you do not roll to hit no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:45   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Actually the AFL does not need to roll to hit.

It's a guess range weapon, meaning you just place the template on the target (who you don't need line of sight too!) and roll a scatter dice and 1d6, or 2d6 and picking the highest if you didn't have line of sight.
Huh? ??? Does it?

Then could you please describe how it actually does work?

I would agree that it does not require LOS for the shooter given that it is a barrage wep. (as stated clearly in the BGB) In addition, it also states that we never have to test target priority for firing such wep barrage weps do not have to be tested to see if they must fire at the closest enemy.

But the way I see is that it still has to follow all the property of being a Blast Wep which would require the shooter rolling to hit, and we also would have to test to see if the barrage land right on the target. (Again, following all the rules of Barrage Wep)

Grenade Launcher Frag Shot is one of those blast wep that do need LOS but do not scatter...
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:54   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:

One thing I have noticed in 40k from watching, is that a lot of players seam to place a high prioity on killing commanders, and they do this no matter what he costs. So if a large number of people are going to target the heck out of him anyways, why make that habbit pay off?

I might be wrong ont hat, but just my observation.
Some players may do this, but if you take the shas'o I mentioned before, he will draw fire away from every other unit.Think of it this way:
On average his fell no pain rule will give him about 8 wounds on average. his 2+ armour save will save evey 5 out of 6 shots.this means that your opponent will need about 48 wounding hits to kill him.
48!!! and if your lucky it could be a lot higher
of course you could be unlucky and fail some rolls, but probability is on your side.

Answer: tomorrow
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote