Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

TO Update: variant Tau army
Closed Thread
Old 29 Oct 2006, 13:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default TO Update: variant Tau army

this deserves to be reawakened, at least in my eyes, despite how many times I've posted this before :P

[hr]

Dal'yth Strike Force
HQ: Commander 1+
Elites: Crisis Team, Stealth Team, Pathfinder Team 0-1*
Troops: Nemesis Team 1+*, Crisis Team 0-2, Gun Drone Squadron, Fire Warrior Team 0-2*
Fast Attack: Crisis Team 0-1, Stealth Team 0-1, Gun Drone Squadron, Pathfinder Team
Heavy Support: Crisis Team 0-1, Stealth Team 0-1, Gun Drone Squadron, Seeker Missile Strike 0-1

*indicates that a unit is new or is changed.

Special Rules:

Tactical Precision: The strike force requires extreme co-ordination of troops to ensure elements of the opposing army are eliminated at the right time to keep the strike force alive. To represent this, the strike force may add or subtract one to any reserve or DS roll made.

Shas’ar’tol: During the planning of the strike force's attack, a Shas’o will call together all the Shas’el under his command to form a miniature war council because they recognize that the expenditure of these elite troops is unacceptable. In game terms, in games of 2000 pts or more, a Shas’el may accompany a Shas'o in addition to the normal bodyguard to help co-ordinate the attack. Note only one Shas’o may have a Shas’ar’tol.

Surgical Strike: All Infantry must take the Scouts USR at +15 points per unit. All other units may purchase the Scouts USR at the same price.

Emergency Retreat: Every time 25% percent of the army (excluding drone squadrons), is put below scoring or wiped out in one turn, the army will fall back, and immediately regroup at the beginning of the next turn. All drones for the following Tau and enemy turn are fearless.

Orca Deployment: Any infantry unit may purchase the Deep Strike special rule at +10 pts. This is in addition to the Scouts USR they must buy. Also, any unit in the army may Deep Strike, regardless of mission special rules. In addition, no vehicles may be used, whatsoever.

XV54 Nemesis Battlesuit Team (Tau: Shas’la)

On Dal'yth, there is a unique way of performing a shas’la’s Trial by Fire. During times of great peril, the infamous Dal'yth Strike Forces will be formed. For the strike forces to work, they need a form of infantry that is not pathfinder support as they have there own agenda and fire warriors are covering the pathfinders. This is found in the XV54 Nemesis Battlesuit. Worn by the Shas’la on their trial by fire, these aspiring Shas’ui go into battle with a modified version of the stealth suit. Lacking the stealth capabilities but with a wider variety of options, the Nemesis teams get used to Battlesuit weapons while still being able to use old weapons, get used to jetpack technology, and gain numerous battle skills. They also learn from the few Shas’ui that accompany them to show them the way of the Battlesuit technology. This is the infantry of the DSF.

pts WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
shas'la 18 2 3 4 3 1 2 1 8 3+
shas'ui +5 2 3 4 3 1 2 2 8 3+

Team: 4-8 Shas’la.

Equipment: Nemesis teams are equipped with XV49 Nemesis Battlesuit. There stat lines include the extra stats provided by the Battlesuit.

Options: Have of the Shas’la (rounded down) may select flamers at +5 points each or plasma rifles at +10 points each. In addition the team may upgrade their pulse carbines or rifles to burst cannons at +2 points a model. Note that the squad may have a mix of weapons.

Character: A third of the Shas’la may be upgraded to Shas’ui at +5 pts per model. A Shas’ui may select markerlight at +5 points per model. One Shas’ui may be upgraded to Shas’ui team leader at a further +5 points. The shas'ui team leader may select from the INFANTRY wargear list.

Seeker Missile Strike 0-1
60 points/ strike

The strike forces are usually in dire need of heavy weapon backup to deal with armour, as fusion blasters are hard to get close enough to use. Instead, the Orcas deploying the strike force will carry many seeker missiles for the strike force to call upon as it is not far away when the attack begins. Various units, namely Pathfinders, call down the seeker missiles, but Nemesis, Stealth, and Fire Warrior teams have been known to contribute to a Seeker Missile Strike.

'Team': 1-3 Strikes of six seeker missiles each

Special Rules:
Strike: Any time there are at least 4 markerlights on a unit, the strike can be called upon it. Any excess markerlights on the unit the strike is called down on are used as well. The strike is at BS 4, due to the distance of the Orca.

[hr]

As I said before, I'm brining this back from an age long forgotten , but with Calmsword wanting to send stuff to GW, this couldn't hurt.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 13:28   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: TO Update: variant Tau army

I'm not a big fan of "cadre-specific" units... plus we have no idea what an XV-54 would look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 29 Oct 2006, 13:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm not such a big fan of how many special rules there are, nor how modified it is. I mean, look, it's essentially writing a new codex for a single Tau branch.

Otherwise, and I cannot stress this enough, you need to start proof-reading your work. You have so many holes and inconsistancies that it is simply frustrating to try and get through one of these pieces.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Old 29 Oct 2006, 16:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Lancer
Otherwise, and I cannot stress this enough, you need to start proof-reading your work. You have so many holes and inconsistancies that it is simply frustrating to try and get through one of these pieces.

Just my thoughts anyway.
umm, where are these 'inconsistencies'?
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 17:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Emergency Retreat: Every time 25% percent of the army (excluding drone squadrons), is put below scoring or wiped out in one turn, the army will
Will what?

Quote:
XV54 Nemesis Battlesuit Team (Tau: Shas’la)
That's neat!
Quote:
Equipment: Nemesis teams are equipped with XV49 Nemesis Battlesuit. There stat lines include the extra stats provided by the Battlesuit.
Er, they just switched weight class and status ...

It's not that I think badly of either your ideas, or your overall work, I just think that for all you're pumping out, you'd refine some of the ideas to some degree.

Old 29 Oct 2006, 17:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I'm not a big fan of "cadre-specific" units... plus we have no idea what an XV-54 would look like.
I have to loosely agree with this sentiment. I'd really prefer not to see the variant lists be tied to a specific sept or historical cadre. In my mind if it warrants variation, and isn't a complete sidestep of the current Tau Army Format, then it should be fair game.

That is Cadre variations (I'd call them 'Schools' as in 'a school of thought' or 'a certain school of thinking' pertaining to various tactics, essentially akin to Doctrines and Traits) should really come down to the preference, style, support and most importantly the current objective facing the Cadre, Contingent or Battle.

In this sense you could have a few varied schools which deal with different topics and 'pick and choose one from each topic' as such:

Auxilliaries

Under this, you'd have different schools of tactics that Cadre commanders would move to use when, say, utilising vast lines of Kroot, Human, Vespid, Galg, Drone and suchlike as the main-line force. In these terms it is quite probable that only at most a Shas'el would be present from the command structure, and that the bulk of the Tau Cadre present is there to 'fill the line' rather than to act as an elite hard & fast hitting Cadre.

Alternatively the school would call for the Cadre to form up as a highly mobile insertion strike-force. In this case it'd represent the Cadre being highly formed of Crisis Suits, Stealth Suits, Drones and a choice of at most one Auxilliary type suited to the force. Typically this'd be Vespids, but Kroot and Humans could all have equally useful/plausible backgrounds and there'd be benefits and problems associated with such a force.

Infantry Deployment

How do you form up your infantry? Will it be a 'young' or highly experienced Light Infantry Cadre utilising alot of 'veteran' Shas'la Squads (not all Fire Warrior Veterans would go on to become Crisis Suit pilots, for instance, many Cadres would be especially suited to groundpounding warfare, and thus remain a largely Shas'la dominated Cadre)? Or will it be a Hammer & Anvil formation? Perhaps the associated infantry deployment would be incredibly light, the Cadre preferring to invest its numbers in Drone operation, Battlesuit and Vehicle Operations? Perhaps the Cadre has suffered severe casualties, or has been split between various formations, and is left with almost no infantry elements, instead drawing intensively on it's drones to fill out standard operations?

Battlesuit Procedures

Does the Cadre have a significantly high proportion of well trained Battlesuit Pilots. Perhaps the Cadre itself operates almost entirely as a Stealth and Infiltrator Cadre, applying the bulk of it's pilots to 'amorphous' plans with only the Commander, a handful of Drones, Vehicles, Infantry and Auxilliaries remaining 'in the open'? Alternatively the Cadre could be well suited to adopting ferociously aggressive 'Heavy Warfare' by applying vast amounts of Broadsides and Tanks with only mediocre emphasis on Infantry and rapid-reserve Crisis Pilots?

Vehicular Protocols

Some Cadres will have excellently supported Mobile Infantry formations, with every division of Shas'la being supported by a Skyray or Hammerhead, (I'm thinking here that you may add a fourth HS slot[or a Choice, but taken as Elites] for every 2 or 3 Troop Slots filled, but with compulsary Devilfish) with alternatives that rely almost not-at-all on Vehicles limiting Gunships and Other Skimmers quite aggressively.

Implications

Obviously many of these 'schools' are easily implemented in the core list, but their purpose should be to allow interesting styles of play and increasing the variation within the different races. Accounting for Elite Fire Warriors in an incredibly well Drone supported light infantry Cadre would be quite fitting for a great many people, wheras a 'Heavy Warfare' would be equally impressive, but quite restrictive in terms of physical mobility and true resilience(eg facing up against too many Lascannons/Bright ro Dark Lances could be terrible...).

It should, essentially, make the list more interesting when it comes down to it.

Xisor
Old 30 Oct 2006, 09:36   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Bear in mind, as well, that shas'la are not allowed to wear battlesuits until they pass trial by fire, and become a shas'ui. Only then can they pilot a XV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm curious as to how the list fits in with current fluff surrounding Dal'yth. Everything we've heard points to Dal'yth being more of a cosmopolitan sept with lots of auxiliaries in its forces. However, your list shows none of this.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Closed Thread