Warhammer 40K Forum

Yet another Farsight idea...
Closed Thread
Old 29 Oct 2006, 09:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to webkilla
Default Yet another Farsight idea...

Greetings fellow followers of Tau'va - may the beard be with you

I've recently begun collecting Tau and has eyeballed Farsight as an interesting way to upset the regular balance of 40K tau armies. Searching through the archives here I couldn't imideatly see anyone thinking the same, so figured, why not?

Ok, so you got the oppertunity to field a total of SEVEN bodyguards alongside Farsight? I like.

(this isn't an army roster post... think of it more of theorical musings of what one might be able to do, and how effective it might be... or not)

I mean, ranged-wise farsight just has a plasma rifle, which is ok... but if you field seven bodyguards with plasma rifle, missile pod, targeting array, HW MT and HW TL you go something that could in theory wipe out just about anything.... (and some of them would have shield drones too...)

plus you got room in elite slots for more XV8s... infact, you have to, since its 1+ !! hehe - and for that purpose I'd suggest a monat shas'vra with fusion blaster, shield gen, +2 armor. He would be deep striking for total enemy indedenent char massacre. (and if the oppoenent isn't fielding anything worth doing that on, then a lone fireknife)

add to that the usual troop choices now limited to firewarriors (all with markerlights), throw in a unit of pathfinders in fast, maybe pathfinders (with max railrifles, this is important) and of course heavy...

Now, I've read a lot of the past posts of farsight complaining about limited heavy slots... and to an extent I'll agree with them...

but a broadside group with up to three TWIN-LINKED railguns outgun even two broadsides, plus i like to take as many sniper drone squads as I can get away with... simply for the pinning action, but also because its pretty much three qaranteed kills per round per team. And finaly, since I have developed a massive hardon for them playing the Dawn of War DC demo, a skyray, because two networked markerlights makes my inner child go "KILLL!!!!!"

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I dont have all the equipment or figures to field an army like this, but I'm posting this more for a 'can this be done at all' thing before I'll even go count together how many points this would eat up...
Old 29 Oct 2006, 11:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Yet another Farsight idea...

webkilla, the only downside to your idea is the fact you are not fielding much of anything else is hurt your chances of winning.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 11:24   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by webkilla
but a broadside group with up to three TWIN-LINKED railguns outgun even two broadsides,
well of course three broadsides will outgun two? whats your point

Answer: tomorrow
Old 29 Oct 2006, 12:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to webkilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Originally Posted by webkilla
but a broadside group with up to three TWIN-LINKED railguns outgun even two broadsides,
well of course three broadsides will outgun two? whats your point
well, a lot of the old posts regarding farsight were people seemingly whining about not being able to have two railheads along...
Old 29 Oct 2006, 12:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you have farsight and do him right, you can have a very scary 29 man unit there that deepstrikes with lots of big guns and a power weapon.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 12:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You're also forgetting that Farsight doesn't count toward your 1+ commander for your army....
Old 29 Oct 2006, 15:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah... but four minimized squads later, and you get 12 FWs 1 Suit, and 1 commander.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 16:14   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yes potentionally you can make a very poweful army. But its going to be extremely top heavy.

And honestly not very viable, more like a 1 trick pony. Figure how many points are going into that unit.

Sure they can obliterate just about anything when they deepstrike, but shield drones wont save you.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 17:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yes...shield drones wont save you...but they WILL make you more likely to come out on top after a firefight...
Old 29 Oct 2006, 18:16   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I think that Farsight is better to use alone to engage potential enemy that try to attack ur broadside in close combat or with a group of 2-3Crisis for a deep strike. In a army of 1500p.ts having 7 bodyguards is too much, and they are a big target for all enemy units.

Shas'o Bork'an Or'es Mont'ka (Bladecutter)