Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

new recruit eyes up the megaforce box
Closed Thread
Old 29 Oct 2006, 00:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default new recruit eyes up the megaforce box

Hey all, I think I've been bitten by the Tau bug (I doubt I need to explain to you guys why ), and after an absence of about ten years I may get back into 40k again. (I appreciate the game has changed a lot from 2nd Ed, which is when I last played - it actually sounds like there have been a lot of improvements). A friend of mine plays eldar so I intend to tag along and see what the score is.

So, I've read through about a few dozen threads on here (and very informative they have been) and all the tactica articles, and have started to form some ideas on putting an army together. The megaforce box looks like an unarguably good deal, so I'm trying to work out what I'm going to use the units for.

For the crisis suits, or which there are two, it seems sensible to make one the commander to stand behind the FWs and shoot. Fireknife sound good. As I understand it the rules adding drones would just make him easier to shoot, yes?

The second suit I want to set up as a deep-striker, as I want to try the rules out and it seems cool to mess with people's heads. Do I go for the reliability of TL fusions (or plasma), or the potential higher damage of FB/PR/HWMT? for this guy shield drones sound like a good idea - or are they? (BTW, where do you get shield drone models? though I guess I can proxy some normal ones for now)

Is it me or are the piranhas a slightly weird choice for this box set? from reading these forums they don't sound like a bread and butter unit.. anyway. Would it be possible to set up some kind of bait and switch where you advance these threateningly, let your opponent react, and then send the deepstriking crisis suit in somewhere totally different? because that would be fun (ahh, misdirection )

Are three stealth suits enough to make an impact on their own? I was thinking of using them as a kind of low-rent pathfinder team: infiltrating and using early markerlight shots to call in some seeker goodness.

The rest of the contents of the box seem pretty straightforward.. though I wonder how easy it is to convert between hammerheads and devilfish? Is it possible to make them modular?

That's a lot of questions. Apologies for the rambling quality of my post

As far as expanding my force after that goes I'm looking at more stealths, some pathfinders and some snipers and, and... *chuckle*.

At least, unlike the last time I played, I now have a salary
Old 29 Oct 2006, 01:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: new recruit eyes up the megaforce box

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=12647.0 - for the modular tanks.

I do not like deep striking units - it is very dangerous for battle suits, especially an expensive commander.

I like to use stealth suits in units of at least 5, but 6 if possible - and not as a marker light platform but shooting.

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 01:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I use small fire warrior teams for my markerlights.

Deepstriking is too dangerous and unreliable for my tastes, but to each his own.

The Piranha is my favorite unit, and quite the "bread and Butter" unit for me. Run each Piranha as an individual all with Targetting arrays and Fusion blasters. Now you have an effective 70 point tank hunter which is extremely mobile and makes a great objective grabber.

Everything else was covered by silverwing, so Adieu!!
Old 29 Oct 2006, 01:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
I use small fire warrior teams for my markerlights.

Deepstriking is too dangerous and unreliable for my tastes, but to each his own.
Take pathfinders and use the stupid marker beacon. That and the positional relay.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 06:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda monium
The second suit I want to set up as a deep-striker, as I want to try the rules out and it seems cool to mess with people's heads. Do I go for the reliability of TL fusions (or plasma), or the potential higher damage of FB/PR/HWMT? for this guy shield drones sound like a good idea - or are they? (BTW, where do you get shield drone models? though I guess I can proxy some normal ones for now)
I would go FB/PR/HWMT because if you're deep striking you will get rear armor alot. A funny thing my friend does is use that combo with iridium armor, 2 shield drones, and stimm injectors(and maybe shield generator, I'm not to hot on the tau yet). Drop that behind their lines and laugh as they waste tons of fire on it. ;D
Old 29 Oct 2006, 08:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

HQ
I don't like the Fireknife or Deathrain config. on comanders. To me it seems a waste as you can have a very powerful anti-tank/anti-elites instead. In my opinion the battlesuits give you mobility so use it and don't go static...

Deepstirkeing? Dangerous for a commander, good on a monat designed to take punishment armed with an FB. Just watch as they waste firepower on it...

Stealths
Good as a support group on a flank, use them in J-S-J fromat and you can't go wrong.

Piranha
Great tank hunter unit, drive them down a flank and into your opponents tanks..laugh evilly when you block his transports and blow them up...Use in ones or twos...
Closed Thread