Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

TO Update: new HQ unit
Closed Thread
Old 27 Oct 2006, 23:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default TO Update: new HQ unit

Shas'vre Mont'ko'cha 0-1
Before a shas'vre can be elevated to shas'el, he or she must undergo a trial by fire unlike anything they've ever done. Normally, one must merely survive the battle they are about to participate in. However, to be elevated to a commander, they are given a very specific objective, and they must achieve it, as well as survive, to be promoted. The objective is one that the Shas'O of the Cadre appoints. Donning an XV15 or an XV25 special;y designed for those going though this trial, and selecting a team, the shas'vre mont'ko'cha prepares to complete his training to commander.

pts WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
shas'vre'cha 55 3 4 4 3 1 3 2 9 3+
shas'vre 40 3 3 4 3 1 3 2 8 3+

Team: Shas'vre mont'ko'cha, and 2-5 shas'vre.

Equipment: All members of the team have either an XV15 or an XV25.
Mont'ko'cha: burst cannon or fusion blaster with a modified networked markerlight (18", n/a, n/a, assault 1, HW MT
Shas'vre: burst cannon or fusion blaster, and one has a bonding knife.

Options: All may select from the battlesuit wargear list.

Special Rules:
Bodyguard, Independent Character, Deep Strike, Infiltrate
Trial by Fire: The shas'vre mont'ko'cha has a very specific objective. It could be wiping out an enemy squad, killing the commander, or merely take an objective. Choose a target after deployment. If the Shas'vre mont'ko'cha succeeds the objective, it is worth twice what it normally is. If you fail, you lose victory points equal to what the objective is worth. You automatically pass any target priority checks to fire at a chosen enemy unit, and merely need to pass a target priority test to shoot at an enemy independent character if it is chosen. Note that objectives must be taken, not merely contested.

I like it. how about you?

Cheers!

Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 23:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: TO Update: new HQ unit

Sounds interesting.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 27 Oct 2006, 23:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Its good, but wouldn't they have already gone through there trial by fires.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 12:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoniccam
Its good, but wouldn't they have already gone through there trial by fires.
noo... That's what this is...
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 15:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Interesting idea. Not completely sure why you are limiting it to stealth suits though, or why the candidate has a custom markerlight. I would personally keep them as crisis suits and normal shas'vre costs (if the candidate is bs4, raise him ten points or so), give them an option to switch to stealth suits at +5 points per model (which raises the number of bodyguards to 2-5 instead of 1-2) and keep the special rule.

As I see it, it would be more in line with the fluff, although I am still kind of weird on the idea of an entire team of Shas'Vre stealths...
Old 29 Oct 2006, 21:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

As an alternate/additional idea along these lines, I would suggest not only the possibility of an 'Honour Guard' but even to the extent of an advisory commitee suited to acting alongside the more 'practically minded' Ethereals.

That is:

Ethereal Advisors

Aun'saar Essentially protegee Aun, can basic Aun Stats but with W1/A1 and Ld at -2. Standard access to the armoury as with Ethereals and basic weapons are simply a ritual blade(CCW) and a Pulse Pistol.

Kroot Bodyguard/Translator/Aide Shaper stats, with only A/W2, comes with a Kroot Rifle or Pulse Pistol/CCW and 6+ Armour

Demiurg Bodyguard Construct An interesting idea I'd had. Equipped with twin Ionic (count as twin Pulse Pistols) and probably has some special rule to account for being a programmed close-quarter defence and shield intended to 'make the Ethereal quite a fair bit safer...'

Shas'ar'O (or whatever they're called!) Essentially aaged/advisor Shas'O from the Shas'ar'tol. Comes with a C&C Node, or alternatively a Gun Drone and Command Link Drone similar to shadowsuns. A weaker-profiled Shas'O, no weapons but essentially turns the Ethereal's unit into a suitable, if static, Command Unit. 'Archetypal' HQ Unit in a sense.

Gue'vesa'ui A highly trained 'Human Special Forces' agent, essentially a sniper of some form (Hard Wired Target Lock, archtypal Sniper Rifle) used essentially to again give credibility to the idea of a Command Unit.

Galg Can't really think of much of a purpose for 'im, but it'd be interesting to see folks' ideas.

A Vespid Strain Director A proper 'High End' Strain leader who can transmit the 'Inspiring Presence/Price of Failure' effect to the Vespid Forces of a Tau contingent without LoS

Of course, there'd be as many options as folks feel necessary, but it'd be an interesting way to introduce more auxilliaries in far more of a 'suitable plausible' role that doesn't simply duplicate Tau Roles.

The Human Snipers is a neat one, IMO, as is the idea of Demiurg Defence Constructs (rather than Demiurg themselves). Allowing for the addition of alot more 'characterful' additions that, rather than in the vein of Inquisitor Advisors who make their own unit 'uber', contribute far more in general to other aspects of the Army.

That seems 'nicely Tau' IMO...

Xisor
Old 30 Oct 2006, 00:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

. . . you mean, like an Eldar Seer council, made up of Aun'ui's or something? interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 30 Oct 2006, 01:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Not quite, but it's one of the few close analogies.

They'd be:

- Inquisitors and 'Henchmen' Retinues
- Imperial Guard 'Advisors'
- Eldar Seer Councils.

But otherwise as I described, essentially an opening to demonstrate a ton of 'other bits and pieces' that thematically hold a place in Tau armies, but can't be fitted in generally...

Of course, they'd have to be competitive over other HQ Choices...

Xisor