Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau military advisor?
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon
Default Tau military advisor?

Hey all, I have been wondering for some time. What would a Tau military advisor be in Tau? I have glanced through the article of all the Tau words and have a few ideas:

Shas - obvious; Fire Caste
Rank? I suppose 'O as these tend to have the most grand thoughts about strategy.

Okay, so Shas'o ... something:

B - shepherd; He guides people, but maybe not the same meaning?
Vesa - helper; might not be that kind of helper?
Ol - bright; as an advisor usually is
Ro - mind; combined with Ol for example: Ol'Ro - Bright Mind
Tol - command
Shovah - Fasighted; you have to be able to foresee stuff do be a good advisor
Yr - experienced

Alright, so combining a few of these we could get:

Shas'o Ol'Ro - Bright Mind
Shas'o Tol'vesa - Command Helper

Anyway Shas'o doesn't really imply that were talking about an advisor as such, although I am pretty sure most Tau advisors hold the rank of Shas'o.

Now, what are your thoughts? (I'm curious )

~Olannon
Old 23 Oct 2006, 17:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Tau military advisor?

Indeed I concur that any Tau adviser would hold the rank of 'O. Having said that I doubt that at the level of 'O there is enough of that high ranking Tau to have the title 'adviser' as a general term.

I would presume that their may only be about a maximum of about 12 'O (In all castes) on any one planet at any one time (during peace). So that any Tau 'O on the planet would each have their own specific titles/roles e.g. head architect, fleet admiral, planetary Governor.

If we are talking about Advisor's as a role or occupation I would say in my opinion that this would refer to Aun, probably of a lesser level than 'O ('el perhaps). If we are taking a fire caste adviser then the title of 'Shas'o Tol'vesa' would be perfect. For other 'Advisor's' i would suggest that a diffrent prefix is used before 'helper' eg. Kor'O Eldi'ar'tol'vesa- Wing High Command Helper
Old 23 Oct 2006, 17:50   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
If we are talking about Advisor's as a role or occupation I would say in my opinion that this would refer to Aun, probably of a lesser level than 'O ('el perhaps). If we are taking a fire caste advisor then the title of 'Shas'o Tol'vesa' would be perfect. For other 'Advisor's' i would suggest that a diffrent prefix is used before 'helper' eg. Kor'O Eldi'ar'tol'vesa- Wing High Command Helper
You will have a number of Shas'O who are too old for active duty and have "retired" to the ruling council of their sept. They could conceivably act as advisers to younger Crisis commanders in times of war, but without donning battlesuits again themselves.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 17:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

It does mention in both codex's that the older Shas'O are admitted into high councils and play a larger role in the Empire rather then leading excursions. There is no rank specifics and i would recommend that the title of advisor merely be apart of the O's name.

That being said if you want to add it to their name like 'Shas'O Kais' I would recommend keeping it simple like 'Shas'O Ka'au Kais' which would simply be Great Age/Elder. Age seems to be an important aspect of Tau culture, its what designates the overall commander in campaigns involving more then one O' so merely implying age would give you the rank.

And yes they probably wouldn't pilot suits.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 18:49   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I invented my own useage for the "advisor" rank.

As you may know, Shas'O who are old enough to "retire" join the Shas'Ar'Tol. As such, I made use of the position "Shas'Ar'O" to refer to a Shas'O serving in the Shas'Ar'Tol. These are too old for active duty, and so are most likely to be an advisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 23 Oct 2006, 18:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

1)Khanaris why did you need to quote my entire post when the first para is all thats needed to make your point?

2)How long to the Tau live for? Would they have time for long periods of retirement? (I'm not going against Codex fluff I'm only stating that they may not live long enough for the title of 'adviser' to catch.)

3)Yeah the name 'adviser' is part of the Tau'Os name and nothing really special...

4)Just to add not all Tau don battlesuits as they advance through society (I'm talking about non-shas castes.)
Old 23 Oct 2006, 19:02   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
1)Khanaris why did you need to quote my entire post when the first para is all thats needed to make your point?

2)How long to the Tau live for? Would they have time for long periods of retirement? (I'm not going against Codex fluff I'm only stating that they may not live long enough for the title of 'adviser' to catch.)

3)Yeah the name 'adviser' is part of the Tau'Os name and nothing really special...

4)Just to add not all Tau don battlesuits as they advance through society (I'm talking about non-shas castes.)
No reason. It wasn't a very long post, so I didn't feel like trimming. A typical tour of duty for a Tau last between 4-5 years. If we assume they enter as Shas'la at 15 and takes the full time between Trials by Fire, they would reach Shas'O at 35 and retire at around 40. If we go by the old codex, that gives them anywhere from 10-20 years of retirement. That is about right if we consider it as roughly proportional to a human in a military career, entering around 16-18 and retiring at 60 (and dying at 80). While the other castes don't fight, of course, you would probably see the same pattern of retired members of the ruling council occasionally stepping in to help with the local administration of their castes, but without taking as much direct part in the activities that Caste is tasked with.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So... The only other suggestion I've seen was WG's Shas'ar'o. As 'ar' means high this would translate something like "Fire high Highest Rank". Hmmm...

Any other suggestions?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:58   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olannon
So... The only other suggestion I've seen was WG's Shas'ar'o. As 'ar' means high this would translate something like "Fire high Highest Rank". Hmmm...

Any other suggestions?
I like the idea of using "ar", but you could also reverse the order of the components, as in "Ar'shas'o".
Old 23 Oct 2006, 21:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olannon

Any other suggestions?
I like the idea of using "ar", but you could also reverse the order of the components, as in "Ar'shas'o".
Are you sure you can re-arrange like this? Any real fluff pieces where this has been done? (I haven't seen any).

Well, doesn't matter too much. What's more important is what combinations of words we can use, in my opinion anyway.

~Olannon
Closed Thread