Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Drones and regrouping when below half strength...
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2006, 15:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Ketter
Default Drones and regrouping when below half strength...

Couldn't find a thread on this either :-\

Drones (whether gun, shield or marker) can be fielded as wargear by battlesuits and fire warriors. Since drones are actual models one fields along with the unit the question arises: "How exactly do drones interact with the parent". GW has placed a nice little box in the Tau Empire codex on page 31 specifically to help clear up any confusion.

After reading through this little box very carefully and consulting the BBB I have come to the conclusion that drones are much closer to pure wargear than they are to extra models in the unit. While the significance of this might be wasted on many, I urge all to bear with me.

If drones were simply extra models that died when their purchaser died GW would have said so in the drone box on page 31, but they didn't. Instead, they compiled a checklist of conditions under which drones were counted as normal models. The list rings thusly:
  • "Drones under the command of a drone controller are counted when assessing if the until they are with should take a Morale check having taken 25% casualties"
  • "They are similarly counted when determining if the unit is strong enough to claim an objective"
  • "If their unit suffers losses, drones are counted when determining if it is below 50% for Victory Point purposes"

This would seem to indicate the following:
  • If their unit suffers losses, drones are not counted when determining if it is below 50% for Regrouping purposes.
  • Similarly, drones are not counted when determining if a depleted unit should take Last Man Standing tests.

This means that lone suits with drones are not all that stupid after all. When the drones die the suit still takes a Morale test for losing 25% or more, but the suit can regroup and doesn't need to take Last Man Standing tests (neither of which makes much fluff sense anyway).

I know many will disagree with my findings, but can someone quote rules (or precedent) to debunk my findings?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 17:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Drones and regrouping when below half strength...

Well the regrouping thing is understandable. If your squad was broken and you are running away and being followed by a flying-squierrel-drone would you think that you had someone else with you. It is a drone that only follows direction. On the feild I wouldn't look up to it at all so I can see why the rules are like that.

Old 23 Oct 2006, 17:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think you should be right, regardless of what the real answer is. I guess this is just another case where we need an official ruling, but seriously, as far as 'making sense' goes, why shouldn't a suit regroup after losing its drones?

Still, I personally dislike the interactions the drones have on whether the unit still counts for scoring ... How are your units any less capable (Save for a drone squadron itself) than they were with the drones?

Old 23 Oct 2006, 17:55   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

We just had a debate about this. It hinges around the idea of whether or not you can make anything out of what GW didn't say in the rules. By playing absolute rules-as-written, drones are models just like any other, despite the fact that their points are drawn from wargear instead of the list. If you are using such, they must be counted for purposes of LMS, panic checks, regrouping, and scoring unit status. You can not play solely on what is "implied". But we need an official ruling on this, one way or the other, before this debate can proceed any further. Personally, I would be very happy if you were right. But we need something more concrete.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 18:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Personally, I would be very happy if you were right. But we need something more concrete.
Agreed. How useful is GW lately concerning rules-clarifications?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 18:40   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketter
Quote:
Personally, I would be very happy if you were right. But we need something more concrete.
Agreed. How useful is GW lately concerning rules-clarifications?
Not too bad, but it works better if you send off a barrage of the exact same email to the US, UK, and Australian rulez boyz. The answer they give you may not be "right", but it will at least hold up in a tournament if you have to support your own interpretation of something that benefits you.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Not too bad, but it works better if you send off a barrage of the exact same email to the US, UK, and Australian rulez boyz.
Where can I find their email addy?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:46   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketter
Quote:
Not too bad, but it works better if you send off a barrage of the exact same email to the US, UK, and Australian rulez boyz.
Where can I find their email addy?
Oh. Guess what? Apparently GW UK and US are too cheap to retain people to answer rules questions over e-mail. If you feel strongly about it, you can call GW-US at 1-800-394-4263. That is their mail-order number, but they also answer rules questions. I think GW-UK has a number you can call, but I am not sure how toll-free calling works in the UK.

Australia still uses a contact form:

http://oz.games-workshop.com/contact/default.htm

Canada is the best, as they still have an e-mail address: mailorder@games-workshop.ca and a phone number: 1-888-498-7655
Closed Thread