Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Human Auxiliaries In A Mobile Army
Closed Thread
Old 23 Oct 2006, 01:30   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Human Auxiliaries In A Mobile Army

I've been putting together a mainly mechanized Tau army. As I make some final decisions and start buying the final models, I'm realizing one contradiction. All of my units either have long movement range or a transport, they'll end up leaving behind my Gue'vesa.

The obvious choice would to remove them and the more expensive and slightly tougher Vespid Stingwings. I've fallen in love with the expendable yet dependable humans that make up the only head on charging portion of my army. I don't really like Vespids much, and since I play for fun I dislike the idea of taking a unit I don't like.

I play with a very open and inventive little group of five including myself, and they would probably have no problem with me solving this with a transport, so long as it's balanced.

Another member of my groups is concidering making an entirely auxiliary army from one of the Forge World books. Think I'd find the answer there?

If not, what do you thinkg? What do you suppose the point cost would be for a converted Chimera or perhaps a Devilfish?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 02:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Human Auxiliaries In A Mobile Army

If your gaming group allows it, then ask them if your Auxiliaries can ride in a Devilfish. It's not unbalancing because the cost of the Devilfish.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 11:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A Chimera or BS3 Rhino would also do the trick.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Old 23 Oct 2006, 23:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

If your group lets you, do whatever you want.

If you want to stick to the published rules, IA3 isn't really going to help you. I have the book and I have the same problem. Usually I send them (with EMPs) and a smallish kroot unit to footslog to an objective or keep my opponent wary.

They are really neat, but really neglected. I would love to see them integrated into a mech tau force. Most serious Gue'vessa armies I've seen are actually based on IG rules.

Time to start harassing those chapter approved guys.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 23:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

i got an idea, how about don't use them in your mechanised army :P
They hide their faces in snarling iron, but the cruelty, in their hearts is manifest in their brutal deeds. We are lost, and we are done. May the God-Emperor forgive our failure and protect our souls.
-last transmission of General DeLestt, Urdesh
Old 24 Oct 2006, 17:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Why not? Gue'vesa, whatever else they are, are fluffy and are just cool. One thing you could do is have a small allied detachment (say 4-500pts?) of mech Guard. You'd have to let your opponent use another detachment of something, but it's a start.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Old 24 Oct 2006, 19:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I wouldn't bother harrassing the Chapter Approved guys since that doesn't exist anymore.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 20:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

Basically it's cool as long as anyone playing with/against you is cool with it. Alternatively you could convert them and use the rules for Shas'la or Kroot or something.

~Olannon
Old 24 Oct 2006, 20:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olannon
Basically it's cool as long as anyone playing with/against you is cool with it. Alternatively you could convert them and use the rules for Shas'la or Kroot or something.

~Olannon
That's something to think about, just converting gue'vesa into fire warriors. I'd still like to see more rules on it, so I'm going to make them, and give them a bit more.
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 16:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Two options I see really, the first probably slightly more widely accepted than the latter.

1. Have them without transport - they are the guys who are forming up the main Tau battleline along with other mercs etc who have been hit hard and had a fast mobile cadre dispatched to support them, either reinforcing the position or using the fall back of the contingent as the lure for Kauyon.

2. Play 2000+ (2500 would do it) and take a second force org chart from the Imperial Guard codex (with all the restrictions it comes with). Alternatively use this in campaigns where the Gueve'sa might be fighting first, and then the remenants support the Cadre called in as support like in point 1.

If your gaming group is ok with this, it opens up a lot of other options as well. I'm currently planning on using a LatD list to represent a Tau merc army with the mutants and traitors representing Gueve'sa and the aliens that were options featured in the concept art which lost out to Vespids (Big mutants for the literally over armed aliens, fast mutants for the primative lionesque centaurs, traitors for well...traitors of a different kind. Chaos lord with flight and strength upgrade for a Dark Crusade XV20 suit)
Closed Thread