Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A newbie necron player is whooping me!
Closed Thread
Old 21 Oct 2006, 11:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default A newbie necron player is whooping me!

I've been playing static Tau now for about 7 months, and I play mainly against marines and the occasional necron. I've been teaching my mate how to play with his army(necrons), and he's whooped me both times! Basically, our army lists are:

Mine:
Shas'O - with 2 plasma rifles with mutltitracker and missile pod 0R 2 fusion blasters and a missile pod.

Ethereal - Honour blade and honour guard(Shas'ui with markerlight and marker drone, bonded.)

3 Stealth(Shas'ui with fusion blaster, bonded with marker drone.)

1 squad of 12 Fire Warriors(Shas'ui with markerlight, bonded.)

1 squad of 12 Fire Warriors(Shas'ui with markerlight, bonded.)

2 Broad sides but in seperate units( smart missile system with ASS)

Gun Drone Squadron (6 drones)

My friend has:
Necron Lord - War Scythe, Viel of Darkness

10 Immortals

1 squad of 12 Necron Warriors

1 squad of 12 Necron Warriors

1 Wraith

9 scarab swarms

What happens is:
I line my FW's in a line, 2 Tau thick, whith the Hounour Guard i the middle. I put a Broadside on each side. I put my drones and Stealths in front to annoy the approaching forces. What he does is jion his Necron Lord with his Immortals and on the 2nd turn he deep strikes them. He lines 1 squad of Necron Warriors on each side and lines his Scarabs in a row. I have to direct most of my fire power into the scarabs, and my then, the Immortals are behind my lines and obliterating my dudes.

I NEED HELP!!!

To put simply, I hate Necrons, despise Tyranids and simply kill Space Marine!
Old 21 Oct 2006, 11:52   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: A newbie necron players whooping me!

To begin with, your Shas'O is illegal; you cannot have the same weapon twice. You can twin-link a weapon (which I will assume is what you mean), but you can't have two of the same weapon. Just make sure you're not messing up there.

Anyway, on to the list... your friend has no Resurrection Orb! Exploit! Exploit!

Firstly, kill the Immortals. Once you knock over all ten, then they are gone. He cannot bring them back unless there's another Immortal within 6". Get Everything shooting them turn 1, starting with anything Str 10 and/or Ap 3 or more. Knock them all down, and they're out.

Next, slaughter the Warriors. That Wraith isn't too scary on its own, but if it falls over it can't Beam Back either (needs another Wraith within 6"). Hammer the squads one at a time, ignoring the Scarabs. Once you've killed 27 Necrons (anything but the Scarabs, in other words) his army will Phase Out and you've won!

Just remember; the best way to beat a Necron player is to know his own rules better than he does, and make sure he's playing by them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 21 Oct 2006, 12:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sniper Drones would do wonders in this kind of environment. Though you probably don't feel like buying them on my say - so. Would your friend let you proxy some?

If possible, try to let the Broadsides take the intital Lord/Immortal jump. They are more likely survive then anything else in the army, and if they don't, only one of them will die anyway. Then shoot the Immortals with every little thing you have. Assuming he targeted your Broadsides (as opposed to your Fire Warriors), then they probably won't get up next turn.

If you run with this, you might want to consider giving your Broadsides Shield Drone/s instead of the A.S.S.

Why do the Stealths have a Marker Drone when they have to stand still to use it? Give it to one of the Fire Warrior Teams instead.

Also, if you give your commander a Stimulant Injector he could probably hold off the Scarabs long enough for the rest of your army to kill enough Necrons to Phase Out.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
- Inquisitor Lord Karamazov

What do you humans know of our pain? We have sang songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea - Eldrad Ulthran
Old 21 Oct 2006, 12:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, I meant twinlinked(sorry for not stating that.) But we play on a large board, and he always puts his Lord and Immortals out of my range(except my railguns.) Just wondering, can a Necrom Lord start the game jioned with a unit? And what should I do if 1)the scarabs get to my lines and 2) the Lord and Immortals get close or in combat with the Viel of Darkness?

Oh, and thanks alot for all the advice so far! ;D

Old 21 Oct 2006, 13:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, my concern is that fire-line you've got. unless each line is at least 4" away, you're asking to get slaughtered in CC. Here's how you should line'em up...

FFFFFFFFFFF----B----HHHHHHHHHHHH----B----FFFFFFFFFFFFF

F's are firewarriors, Bs are Broadsides and H honour Guard. They don't actually have to be in a line like that, but make sure that there is at least 4" from each unit, Broadsides and Firewarriors and stuff.

And what I would really do if I was you is take those 2 units of 12, split 'em into 3 of 8, give each one 'Ui, Bonded, Markerlight, Multi-tracker. Now your 'Uis can shoot thier PR and mark for the next unit. When you deploy with 3 of 8, do the same as I put above, just move the honour guard back 4", or over 4"

As a static player myself, I would rather have 3 units of 8 than 2 of 12. It's a bit more points with the upgrades, but you can engage more targets if you have to without losing much firepower individually.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 13:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

To me it sounds like you will die before the game starts. Basically, a Tau army will never ever have more pure firepower than necrons. As such you will never win unless you take advantage of the aspect Tau have which the Necrons lack: Mobility. Also ensure you take advantage of the terrain.

Your list seems fairly weak against other shooty armies. Tau cannot beat any shooty armies face to face. You need to either have mobility or lots of terrain that suits you.

Looking at your list I believe half your problem lies here. Twin-linking on a Shas'o? Rather give him a secondary weapon as his BS is outstanding as it is. Consider getting the markerlights into 1 single squad instead of spreading them out.

It seems like you try to play Tau like you would play IG, and this frankly is not possible, sorry to say. You need more big guns or mechanize your list.

To further prove my point, line up your 2 Fire warrior squads against his 2 Necron squads; nothing else on the board. See how much he beats you. This should give you an idea.

By the way, how many points are your lists (can't be bothered doing the math now). If we know that we can make suggestions etc.

~Olannon
Old 21 Oct 2006, 14:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My points? Around just over a 1000 I think. The idea of splitting the squads is a good one, but I keep my dudes in set squads for fluff's sake, plus, I tend to focus everybit of firepower on one unit until their dead and then move onto another. My army is built around one I would like to lead in real, and so I want to edit it as little as possible.

My static army has beaten a Space Marine army twice as big as it in points, while the Necrons beat be because(I have now come to realise, looking over my past fights) because I tried to spread my firepower out too thin. One of my Fire Warrior Squads wiped out half of a Necron Squad in 1 turn(although most of them stood back up!) So I am fairly confident in my army, but can anyone recomend any units that might be effective in really hurting Necrons that I could buy?

Old 21 Oct 2006, 16:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

when facing necrons, you need ap2 and 3 fire. focus on the following weapons and things that help prtect them

plasma rifles, preferably TL
Seeker Missiles
Railrifles
Ion Cannon

all of those are able to kill Necrons quickly.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 17:48   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to The_Greater_Good

Mounted Fire Warriors are much more effective than static. Because you drop them off behind the Devilfish and shoot, while your out of site.

If you need help with a Tau army list, go ahead and pm me, always willing to help.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 18:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, but if they deploy, they can only shoot with 12''s, which takes away the advantage of their 30'' guns.

Closed Thread