Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Aun'va tactics
Closed Thread
Old 20 Oct 2006, 22:25   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Aun'va tactics

Before I get him I need to learn how effective he is. What kinda of strong points does he have? ???
Old 20 Oct 2006, 22:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Aun'va tactics

the best use for Aun'va is a place holder for a useful model on your shelf.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 22:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've used one tactic to great effect. Wether he lives or dies doesn't make much difference. If he dies, just make the test, fall back if need be.... But then, as he's dead, you gain the furious charge. So just charge with your crisis suits and your ninja'o. They actually becomes a CC-force to be reckoned with.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 23:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I havne't used him yet, but looking at his rules, it seems as though he was made to be a bullit magnet. His unit is fairly tough, especially with it's re-rolable cover saves (better watch out for those flamers though). Other then that, he's just a centerpiece for the army (and not a great one IMO). Still he'd be intrising to use, and I'm thinking of converting my own versoin of him (in a much more dynamic pose).
Old 21 Oct 2006, 02:16   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Still he'd be intrising to use, and I'm thinking of converting my own versoin of him (in a much more dynamic pose).
Like maybe sitting up straight?
Old 21 Oct 2006, 02:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd rrather he be falling off his chair...the Spirit is undying, apparently he's not...

Though I do want to get the model so I can do a classic scene of Tael's. Take Aun'Va out and put a Shas in his place, hot-rodding. Then have Hans and Frans (although I prefer to call them Frank and Frank, anyone with kids that like Timothy Goes to School will get it) chasing after him.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 16:16   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yeah his stats suck. The Ethereals are pretty well rounded though. I'm just thinking for his point cost, he has to have some kinda tactical purpose. Guess I'll just have to use him and see. :rockon:
Old 21 Oct 2006, 16:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Honestly there are no Aun'va `tactics' to speak of.

Coming from me, I almost feel bad saying it. But Aun'va is quite simply one of the absolute worst characters ever made. It's a shame he was even included in the codex instead of something more interesting or useful. Aun'va just robs your army of 205 points that should have been used elseware. Even Shadowsun is worth her weight. Aun'va is just completely silly. At best in a `strategic sense' you could hope your opponent shoots at him with anti-tank guns, which you promptly save 75% of the shots against. Unfortunately each one you fail, removes an entire model if it was Str6 or higher. So even that idea is not so hot. Plus, they can always just ignore him since he poses zero threat in shooting or assault.

Survivability: Right away we have to make note that this guy is a scoring unit with T3(5) and they have a re-rollable 4+ cover save. On paper, this looks amazing. It means we literally rock at rolling saves. It almost smells like some seer council scam. But then, you realise... it's T3(5) and it's just a cover save. What does that mean? It means you have a 25% chance to fail to make a save and if it was anything Str6 you lose a whole model to instant death. Do that three times, and the entire 205 point squad is tanked. Next up, it's a cover save and not an invulnerable save. Well that's fine and dandy, because template weapons ignore cover saves. Why is this terrible? Because anyone can freely target him who have line of sight with a simple target priority test, and goodbye Aun'va. And even worse, cover saves are not applied in close combat. This squad has no save in combat, and no chance or hope to survive an assault. If assaulted, be prepared to say the inevitable `Good game.'

Supremely Inspiring Presence: Why do we even take Ethereals? For morale right? Well this guy makes you stubborn! But there's a problem. It requires line of sight. Well how useful is that? That means this guy has to be floating around with everything else you have. And of course, he has no impact on Drones or Kroot or even Vespid. And guess what, if it's dark, you can't see your space pope and so you don't benefit the very reason you take him mostly unless he's breathing down your neck. The inspiring presence of all the Ethereals is completely nerfed to the point where once ethereal-loving players put them on the shelf, disgusted with how useless it is and how it requires you to put your precious fragile ethereals too close and in the open to places you want to avoid, simply because you have to attempt to maintain line of sight to them on terrain boards, and through enemy targets (like vehicles or monstrous creatures who block line of sight) or you don't benefit the ability. It just makes it harder to keep them alive.

Ultimate Price of Failure: Here's where the `tactics' come in. A lot of people think that for 205 points, getting him killed is a good idea. That means, you pay 205 points to just throw him to the wolves, giving your opponent 205 victory points and losing a scoring unit, in exchange for a bunch of morale checks which some of your units may fail and run from, all for the chance to get preferred enemy and furious charge (which by the way, 205 points in an army that can buy those skills in the first place could buy it for about 60+ models). Oh my. That sounds like we turn into combat beasts! But what does it actually mean in the game? It means your Fire Warriors are now Str4 and I3 in close combat, but ONLY when they perform the charge--as good as Kroot! Or should I say, as bad as Kroot? Oh and they hit on a 3+ instead of a 4+ typically. What makes it worse is that in order for you to charge into combat to use this new ability, you cannot fire rapid-fire (unless you're a battlesuit). You cannot use your guns now (fire warriors, pathfinders). Wow! Your units are now less useful than Kroot and cannot even shoot. Great tactic eh? What kind of change is that? None. Literally. Because when you have one attack on your profile and you have only 6 to 12 models, you're not getting any extra juice. It's a trap! So then people think about how awesome their battle suits are going to be in assault now. Well great, now we can manage to strike and hit on par with Marines! But, you know, with a lot less models and no power weapons. So a squad of Stealthsuits are fantastic with frightening marine-like stats in assault! But of course, it doesn't mean they're going to win. It means they're going to charge to their death as they're chopped down by power weapons and rending attacks and superior numbers. And then they're locked in assault and piled in upon, where they lose their furious charge bonuses and go back to being normal sorry close combat fighters without their strength or initiative bonus. Oh dear. Your price of failure is doubled. Not only do you lose 205 points, you lose the game!

-- Aun'va is like paying your enemy $205 for nothing, and then picking up rusty tomato soup can lids and running off to battle, leaving your guns behind, fighting an enemy waiting with AK-47's and Louisville Sluggers.

Tactical Aun'va is an oxymoron. He's that terrible.

But hey, that's just my opinion. :P

Cheers!
Old 21 Oct 2006, 17:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

mmm, i heard he is there on the field to die since supposedly your units become all crazy mad and are actually a better CC army with his death, but i am not sure...
Old 21 Oct 2006, 17:49   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Honestly there are no Aun'va `tactics' to speak of.

Coming from me, I almost feel bad saying it. But Aun'va is quite simply one of the absolute worst characters ever made. It's a shame he was even included in the codex instead of something more interesting or useful. Aun'va just robs your army of 205 points that should have been used elseware. Even Shadowsun is worth her weight. Aun'va is just completely silly. At best in a `strategic sense' you could hope your opponent shoots at him with anti-tank guns, which you promptly save 75% of the shots against. Unfortunately each one you fail, removes an entire model if it was Str6 or higher. So even that idea is not so hot. Plus, they can always just ignore him since he poses zero threat in shooting or assault.

Survivability: Right away we have to make note that this guy is a scoring unit with T3(5) and they have a re-rollable 4+ cover save. On paper, this looks amazing. It means we literally rock at rolling saves. It almost smells like some seer council scam. But then, you realise... it's T3(5) and it's just a cover save. What does that mean? It means you have a 25% chance to fail to make a save and if it was anything Str6 you lose a whole model to instant death. Do that three times, and the entire 205 point squad is tanked. Next up, it's a cover save and not an invulnerable save. Well that's fine and dandy, because template weapons ignore cover saves. Why is this terrible? Because anyone can freely target him who have line of sight with a simple target priority test, and goodbye Aun'va. And even worse, cover saves are not applied in close combat. This squad has no save in combat, and no chance or hope to survive an assault. If assaulted, be prepared to say the inevitable `Good game.'

Supremely Inspiring Presence: Why do we even take Ethereals? For morale right? Well this guy makes you stubborn! But there's a problem. It requires line of sight. Well how useful is that? That means this guy has to be floating around with everything else you have. And of course, he has no impact on Drones or Kroot or even Vespid. And guess what, if it's dark, you can't see your space pope and so you don't benefit the very reason you take him mostly unless he's breathing down your neck. The inspiring presence of all the Ethereals is completely nerfed to the point where once ethereal-loving players put them on the shelf, disgusted with how useless it is and how it requires you to put your precious fragile ethereals too close and in the open to places you want to avoid, simply because you have to attempt to maintain line of sight to them on terrain boards, and through enemy targets (like vehicles or monstrous creatures who block line of sight) or you don't benefit the ability. It just makes it harder to keep them alive.

Ultimate Price of Failure: Here's where the `tactics' come in. A lot of people think that for 205 points, getting him killed is a good idea. That means, you pay 205 points to just throw him to the wolves, giving your opponent 205 victory points and losing a scoring unit, in exchange for a bunch of morale checks which some of your units may fail and run from, all for the chance to get preferred enemy and furious charge (which by the way, 205 points in an army that can buy those skills in the first place could buy it for about 60+ models). Oh my. That sounds like we turn into combat beasts! But what does it actually mean in the game? It means your Fire Warriors are now Str4 and I3 in close combat, but ONLY when they perform the charge--as good as Kroot! Or should I say, as bad as Kroot? Oh and they hit on a 3+ instead of a 4+ typically. What makes it worse is that in order for you to charge into combat to use this new ability, you cannot fire rapid-fire (unless you're a battlesuit). You cannot use your guns now (fire warriors, pathfinders). Wow! Your units are now less useful than Kroot and cannot even shoot. Great tactic eh? What kind of change is that? None. Literally. Because when you have one attack on your profile and you have only 6 to 12 models, you're not getting any extra juice. It's a trap! So then people think about how awesome their battle suits are going to be in assault now. Well great, now we can manage to strike and hit on par with Marines! But, you know, with a lot less models and no power weapons. So a squad of Stealthsuits are fantastic with frightening marine-like stats in assault! But of course, it doesn't mean they're going to win. It means they're going to charge to their death as they're chopped down by power weapons and rending attacks and superior numbers. And then they're locked in assault and piled in upon, where they lose their furious charge bonuses and go back to being normal sorry close combat fighters without their strength or initiative bonus. Oh dear. Your price of failure is doubled. Not only do you lose 205 points, you lose the game!

-- Aun'va is like paying your enemy $205 for nothing, and then picking up rusty tomato soup can lids and running off to battle, leaving your guns behind, fighting an enemy waiting with AK-47's and Louisville Sluggers.

Tactical Aun'va is an oxymoron. He's that terrible.

But hey, that's just my opinion. :P

Cheers!
Everything that I wanted to say .

I say he is pretty useless, living or dead. You pay him to be a poser on the battlefield , and for that he is oxymoron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Closed Thread