Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Maxed out piranhas?
Closed Thread
Old 20 Oct 2006, 21:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Maxed out piranhas?

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere, I couldn’t find it.* What about a list that had 15 piranhas in it?
Not trying to make a list here just illustrating the concept... But if it should be moved to lists, I apologize...
It looks like this:

Sash ‘el with a HW marker drone
And command and control node

6 units of 6 fire warriors, ‘el with markerlight and TL

3 units of 5 piranhas, 2 have FB 1 BC

Skyray

The FW set up in the defense,* the piranhas move 12” toward center of enemy, all drop the drones.* Next turn the move into position do damage. Mean while, you just placed 30 drones in shooting range of the bad guys…* He has to kill each group of two separately.* The 9 marker lights in the list boost BS* for skimmers, mark for seekers or reduce leadership on units the drones hit…..

30 shots from the FW each turn out to 30", 30 drone shots a turn out to 18", 10 FB and 18 BC shots....
What am I missing? Wouldn’t this be a nasty list?

I think that the number of 15 is important, it certainly works better in mass....

Arundel
Old 20 Oct 2006, 23:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Maxed out piranhas?

Actually it would be 3 groups of 10 Drones. Each Piranha squadron must deploy them all at once into a single unit.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 01:32   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Huh, I didn't see that at first. But still, 3 units of ten is better then if you bought them as their own fast attack and increasing the BS makes sense... If the piranhas were behind the enemy the enemy, and the drones in front, you are still presenting him with 6 units to deal with... Can you tank shock with piranhas? drive him into your drones... destroy his units that way...

Old 21 Oct 2006, 01:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Its true i beleive it is in the FAQ. I personally love piranhas, they arent the most competative buggars but they are very fun. One thing though is that 3 squads of 1 piranha with a fusion blaster is so annoying to get rid of. I usually have them all dead towards the last two turns but they normally take their fair share of tanks. My opponents have learned to fear for their tanks with the little minnows flying around. In a mega-battle i had the three rip through an armored comapny and K.O. 5 tanks. Pirnahas are awseome. Not to mention you can make an impassible wall with them, you line them front to back an inch apart and your opponents infantry can walk past them.

Old 21 Oct 2006, 01:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Utsujin Send a message via MSN to Utsujin Send a message via Yahoo to Utsujin

They could just shoot them though, not too hard to destroy. Not as easy as a Raider... lol.

DH
W:24:2:L:4
Old 21 Oct 2006, 01:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You should talk to greenmachine or israfel420, both of whom are diehard piranha fans. greenmachine actually runs a 15-piranha army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 21 Oct 2006, 02:22   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I think tank shocking enemy units into your drones may be an awesome tactic..... Any think why it won't work?
Old 21 Oct 2006, 03:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Fire Warriors can't have a Shas'el as their commander. It's a 'ui. That list is weak in some areas like anti-armour and heavy infantry. It is fast but can't handle alot of incoming heavy fire.

Old 21 Oct 2006, 05:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Heya,

Yeah, I'm a die hard Piranha fan all right. I use em in every game and I always bring multiples.

As far as I'm concerned, they are the only fast attack choice really worth taking in an all comers list. (Vespid are good against MEQ and in COD).

Problem with running them in large squads is the fact that they become impossible to hide. And if just one gets stunned, the whole unit becomes sitting ducks, or you
have to ditch that one.

I run em in squads of 2 or squads of 1. I've been toying with the idea of running 2 squads of 2 with Fusion blasters, and 1 squad of 3 with burst cannons, but I'm not sure.

As far as their usefullness on the battlefield, I consider them to be one of the most versatile units we have. By giving them a fusion blaster, they become a serious threat to every piece of armor on the board. The drones can slow approaching assaulters with pinning or by getting in CC, the Piranha themselves are basically immune to CC attack, and because they have an AV11 in front, they become more survivable than you might expect.

The main selling point is their speed. They can deliver drones, pop tanks, and block advances virtuallyu anywhere on the board due to their fast nature. That AV11 helps them to draw dangerous fire away from hammerheads, and when they do die, the drones stick around so it is not a total loss.

These reasons are why I advocate using your Piranhas agressively. By putting them in the thick of the action early and often, they will draw enough fire away from the rest of your army to make up for any losses they incur. Since they can get out front quickly and early, at the very least they cause target priority tests for any enemy unit attempting to shoot past them.

Another little benefit is to use them as a scoring unit on the last turn. A 24" move is no joke. Run them in squads of two and you can lose one from each unit and it still remains scoring, thus denying your opponent any VP's for killing the first one.

Finally, seeker missile allow them to contribute even after moving over 12".

Here is an example of how I use my Rhana's on a turn by turn basis.

Here is a typical setup in a 1500 point game
2 Piranhas, TA, Fusion, 4 seekers = 180 points
2 Piranhas, TA, Fusion = 140 points

I start by moving both teams up the flanks a full 24" behind some nice cover. The ones with the seekers tend to get the best cover available since they are worth more points. I then use my markerlights to light up enemy targets and launch as many as possible from the team with the seekers.

Turn 2 I drop drones and move the 2 teams up to 12" to get within 6" of enemy tanks. Then I use available markerlights to increase the accuracy of the fusion and usually pop myself a couple of tanks.

By turn 3, I usually see a dead Piranha or two, but any remaining will still be scoring, so if there is no important armor left, I run them away 24" and hide them until they are needed. If they've all survived or have other pieces of enemy armor to kill, I let them continue to stay in the thick of things unti lthey are at risk of losing the whole unit.

Since they have such great speed, any time I need a skimmer wall back near my deployment zone, I zip them there to the rescue. Also, they eat terminators and other heavy infantry nastiness for lunch, so if there is no armor to hunt, they will look for targets like that. Even against horde they have there uses since most horde armies are assaulty they can be used to block enemy advances.

Anyway, there is an article on the main site (tauonline.org) just click the tactics link and look for Piranhas under unit specific.

BTW it still needs editing, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Old 21 Oct 2006, 23:15   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks! Great info. I read the article, well thought out. I did discover that they can't tank shock today, so that is out, but I agree about using them agressively. You can also increase the effectiveness of the seekers by getting rear shots on tanks.....
Closed Thread