Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Oblique Line Tactic with Firewarriors
Closed Thread
Old 20 Oct 2006, 16:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Oblique Line Tactic with Firewarriors

I recently read something about the Oblique Line Formation here. Now I thought about how I could fit it into my Tau List and came up with this idea:

-------------------------Enemy Line--------------------------
|
18"
|
V
FW-Squad I (Pulse Carbines/Markerlight)
|
6"
|
V
FW-Squad II (Pulse Carbines/Markerlight)
|
6"
|
V
FW-Squad III (Pulse Rifles/Markerlight)

It would take two turns to set the formation up if I have all Firewarriors at one line in the first turn. In turn three the enemy the enemys footslogging troops are supposed to be 18" away (and have a moving rate of 6"), so Squad I and III can shot and Squad II and III can markerlight them.
If the enemy keeps getting closer Squad I moves 6" backwards, so they are on one line with Squad II. Now Squad I, II and III shoot, Squad III markerlights.
In turn five Squad I and II move 6" backward, so they are on line with Squad III. All shoot Squad III markerlights. The enemy is still 18" away and can come into close combat by turn six, where all Squads shoot and markerlight.
If the game has additional turns, the tactic won't work anymore, because the enemy is in 12" range and Squad III would become useless for it, so the tactic ends there.

I never tried this or a similar tactic, but I may try it the next games. What do you think about it?
Old 20 Oct 2006, 17:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Oblique Line Tactic with Firewarriors

Sounds good, but a little complicated. I'll just take 3 squads with MLs and Rifles and stand still and they all can shoot and mark for up to 5 turns while the enemy slowly marches in. And hopefully they will get a rapid-fire turn in there, too. I don't see the point of having the 2 units moving...
Old 20 Oct 2006, 17:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Might work against...orks. That's the only race I can think of who doesn't really have an effective way of countering this. All other races can either fleet or have resilient armor or transports.

Actually, this won't work on anybody except in VERY specific scenarios. See, most missions will not see you deploy anymore than 36" from the enemy.

turn 1: you move squad I & II 6" forward, enemy infantry moves 6" forward, distance between enemy and you shortened to 24"

turn 2: you move squad I 6" forward once more, enemy infantry moves 6" forward, distance shortened to 12"

So by the beginning of turn 3 when you have set up this formation, the enemy infantry will be in charging range to your first line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 20 Oct 2006, 17:21   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal'Yth Riyon Mal'Caor (Orion549)
I don't see the point of having the 2 units moving...
Haha. Now you are saying it, I don't see it either.
Quote:
Actually, this won't work on anybody except in VERY specific scenarios. See, most missions will not see you deploy anymore than 36" from the enemy.
Oh, bad news. I didn't think about that.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 17:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The only way to really make it work is to deploy Squad I and II at the edge of deployment, squad III 6" back. The you just move squad I up first turn and they stand and wait. However, I prefer a rolling retreat. I've used this against Orks several times with good success rate. Basically, there's 3 8-man units as a firebase, with a 12-man in a DF, when the enemy gets too close, the 12-man unit does a FoF in front of the main line, as the other 3 units fall back. Then it continues with 2 units dropping back and 1 staying put (the FoF unit moves off to gain a better firing position in the event one of the other units get assaulted) I've found the enemy is retreating due to casualties within the 2nd or 3rd turn of this manuvre.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 21:59   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Keep in mind one very important fact. The only thing that matters against an army that doesn't have fleet is that you can kill the models within 12" of you. You don't have to kill the whole squad. If you move up so that your front rank is in range of only one normal model, all you have to be able to do is kill him to deny his unit the charge. Your opponent is not allowed to remove any other models, since only one is in range. Your other squads, in your case, can open fire with impunity.

In practice, I don't think this would be very useful, although it is an interesting idea. Pulse Rifles have the range to start shooting by Turn 2 at the latest against anything but border-hugging Guard armies. Taking a few turns with no shooting in order to set up a defensive formation is probably a waste. I would only do it if there was another reason to move forward (occupying cover, for instance).
Old 20 Oct 2006, 22:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon

I can see this working against assaulting armies, but you would totally get blown away by any means of dedicated firepower.

Comparing this to chess is interesting, and I would like to see a battle where this is executed (might just do one myself :P )- but only against assaulty armies (this'd be suicide against Guard for example).

~Olannon
Old 21 Oct 2006, 02:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Another good reason to do this (although it's more of an offensive move) would be to have a diagonal corridor for something to run up behind, forcing target priority checks for the enemy to shoot at it (like EMP Gue'Vesa or Vespid) to allow them to move through an open area to cover, as the article linked suggested. Only application of this diagonal formation I could see.

It's kind of like the FoF, it's a good thing to have in your arsenal of tactics, but use it wisely.

Although, I just had an awesome thought. Use a diagonal formation with the following 6" apart, back to front: Firewarriors, Gue'Vesa, Stealth Suits or Carbine squad, Vespid or Kroot.

It's a variation of a Mont'Ka. The Vespid or Kroot sit, drawing the enemy forward, tempting a juicy assault. As soon as the enemy moves within 12" of the point unit, EVERY UNIT FIRES! They would all have the same range terminator. If your opponent isn't thinking, he'll walk right into it. To be even more nasty, put a Pathfinder unit of 8 6" behind the Firewarriors. Shoot back to front, lighting up the unit and then using the markers make sure you have the kill (this is where Vespid would be the most useful, as they can use the Markers, Kroot couldn't) Although you could easily do this as a column, too, though it may not be as obvious if you get them diagonally, or staggered.
Old 21 Oct 2006, 03:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

It would work great for static armies. It would also be good against horde armies like Orks and 'Nids. If you could support it with some Broadsides it would be great tactic against alot of armies. It is a defensive tactic since it would be hard to move them all forward and assault.

Old 22 Oct 2006, 21:22   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal'Yth Riyon Mal'Caor (Orion549)
Another good reason to do this (although it's more of an offensive move) would be to have a diagonal corridor for something to run up behind, forcing target priority checks for the enemy to shoot at it (like EMP Gue'Vesa or Vespid) to allow them to move through an open area to cover, as the article linked suggested. Only application of this diagonal formation I could see.

It's kind of like the FoF, it's a good thing to have in your arsenal of tactics, but use it wisely.

Although, I just had an awesome thought. Use a diagonal formation with the following 6" apart, back to front: Firewarriors, Gue'Vesa, Stealth Suits or Carbine squad, Vespid or Kroot.

It's a variation of a Mont'Ka. The Vespid or Kroot sit, drawing the enemy forward, tempting a juicy assault. As soon as the enemy moves within 12" of the point unit, EVERY UNIT FIRES! They would all have the same range terminator. If your opponent isn't thinking, he'll walk right into it. To be even more nasty, put a Pathfinder unit of 8 6" behind the Firewarriors. Shoot back to front, lighting up the unit and then using the markers make sure you have the kill (this is where Vespid would be the most useful, as they can use the Markers, Kroot couldn't) Although you could easily do this as a column, too, though it may not be as obvious if you get them diagonally, or staggered.
Alright let's see, if you place the fire warriors at the very edge of your table:

Fire Warriors ^
|
Gue'Vesa |
| 18 freakin' inches
Stealthsuits |
|
vespids v

This formation extends at least 18" from your table edge--24" if you use pathfinders at the rear. So on a normal table, the enemy will be able to hit you in an assault on turn 2. Doesn't sound so juicy now, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Closed Thread