Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Does anyone put pulse carbines on their FWs?
Closed Thread
Old 20 Oct 2006, 09:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nathan
Default Does anyone put pulse carbines on their FWs?

I was considering buying the battleforce and I was thinking of keeping the theme of mobility through everyone, even the normally static FWs. Is this worth it at all? It seems with pulse carbines you have the ability to stay out of reach of normal assault and still lay down some pinning fire. I seriously dislike the sit and shoot playing style btw.

I realized that pathfinders all have pulse carbines and markerlights and the battleforce comes with a devilfish but they're 2pts more and markerlights can't be fired on the move, maybe the markerlights would be good to eliminate a dangerous squad that was getting too close?

It was dark crusade that made me want a small detachment of tau btw ;D I think I'm going to convert & paint them up as if they had been stranded and banged up somewhere for years kind of like the farsight enclave.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 09:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Aquila_XV8
Default Re: Does anyone put pulse carbines on their FWs?

I am planning to putcarbines on my new detachment of FW's but I've never actually used them before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Welcome to the Navy, Chevron.

Longest Ever Maiden Chain: 55
Old 20 Oct 2006, 09:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Some people use pulse carbines as a type of shock troop, loading them up into a devil fish and trying to pin the enemy squads
Old 20 Oct 2006, 11:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I have Half a Squad with carbines and Half with Rifles > >

The Strange Child ( AKA Tom )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Old 20 Oct 2006, 11:33   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to TauVa KoVash

i use all of my squads with 3-4 carbines and the rest rifles so that if your enemy somehow gets too close for comfort, you can pin them down and retreat, whilst not reducing your overall firepower over long distances by too much.
“When cities burn and armies turn, and flee in disarray, cowards will say ‘tis best to fly and fight another day, but the faithful know it in the marrow when the die and fall, it is better to have fought and lost, than not to have fought at all.”
"All those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand..."
A -ssole, a- ssole, a soldier I will be, too pissed, too pissed, two pistols on my knee, I will fight for the old c-**t, fight for the old c-**t, fight for the old country.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 11:59   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

I am of the firm opinion the carbines are an all or nothing choice: Either the squad is to be infantry mobile (not mounted, but moving) then they should have carbines, or they should have rifles, to be moving (mounted, not walking) or static.

Hell, it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 12:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

I concur with FB here: All Carbs, or none.

I typically have a small strike-team Squad which I use as an 'auxilliary' (not aliens) unit essentially. That is: 6 Shas'la, Carbines, EMP Grenades.

They are there usually as a 'just in case unit', that is quite cheap and expendable if need be, but can contribute firepower, and can apply enough force to be a nuisance, but not often enough to be hunted.

Very useful for 'slipping under your opponents nose'

Xisor
Old 20 Oct 2006, 13:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I currently have 3 full units of fire warriors. One of those units I run all pulse carbine. Of course they are my tank hunting squad....

Old 20 Oct 2006, 13:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i found that an ethereal honor guard with all carbines was very useful.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 15:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
I was considering buying the battleforce and I was thinking of keeping the theme of mobility through everyone, even the normally static FWs. Is this worth it at all? It seems with pulse carbines you have the ability to stay out of reach of normal assault and still lay down some pinning fire. I seriously dislike the sit and shoot playing style btw.

I realized that pathfinders all have pulse carbines and markerlights and the battleforce comes with a devilfish but they're 2pts more and markerlights can't be fired on the move, maybe the markerlights would be good to eliminate a dangerous squad that was getting too close?

It was dark crusade that made me want a small detachment of tau btw ;D I think I'm going to convert & paint them up as if they had been stranded and banged up somewhere for years kind of like the farsight enclave.
Heya,

I use Carbines on small non-mounted Fire Warrior teams. Teams that I only buy to move around on foot, through terrain, hide, etc. I give them Carbines because in heavy terrain boards and when you're constantly rolling difficult terrain, your movement is limited and so rapid-fire range is often times not enough when you roll a 2 or 3 for movement. The carbines give you that extra range to do something before someone charges you, and the added small chance of pinning is always welcome. Granted, I do this against non-Marine armies mostly.

Cheers!