Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What are the things in the Commander boxed set?
Closed Thread
Old 20 Oct 2006, 07:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What are the things in the Commander boxed set?

What are the things in the Commander boxed set?
There are some metal bits for the shoulder etc and can't tell what is what....

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 07:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Olannon
Default Re: What are the things in the Commander boxed set?

Same things as in the crisis box plus:

-both new metal heads
-both new metal weapons
-C & C node, Positional Relay

I think at least, I bought it quite a while ago.

Why, what do you intend to do?
Old 20 Oct 2006, 09:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olannon
Why, what do you intend to do?
I'm currenlty finishing my conversion (http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=33655.0) and I'm a bit rusty in the rules and looking in the box I got a bit 'What is that'. I'm looking for some good ideas for the last Support Systems, but even though the Commander bits looks cool I'm not sure if they're worth their points.. What do you think and/or use?

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 09:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Codex: Tau Empire Page 52 says what is what
Old 20 Oct 2006, 11:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It depends on what army you're running. Basically they're worth it if you either a) have important deepstrike units or b) have important static units.

~Olannon
Old 20 Oct 2006, 18:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
It depends on what army you're running. Basically they're worth it if you either a) have important deepstrike units or b) have important static units.
That could be the answer. I have an important unit in my PathFinders.
And I currently own one squad of Snipers which I will field as soon as I have more of 'em and they could easily benefit from the Command and Control Node. But as my Commander is an 'El - is the difference from Ld 8 'till 9 worth it....?

-Khelben
Old 21 Oct 2006, 22:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, using the Shas'el for the Pathfinders alone might be a decent idea. In that case, I'd give him TL missile pods (same range as pathfinders + good firepower) and a C & C node. This way he helps out your "support" line while being quite a supporter himself. This commander is also cheap, and the added ld for target priority tests is not too expensive either. In fact, this entire commander weighs in at just 78 points! (IIRC; don't have the codex at the moment).

However, looking at the thread you linked I suppose you intend to use him aggressively. In that case, he should be getting either a third weapon (the 2 you have are both short-ranged) or a Positional Relay (in case you have important deepstrike units). This being said, I feel giving him the AFP is a waste of his BS though - better get a Shas'vre or something. Anyway, the choice seems to have been done, so

Nice conversion; good luck!

~Olannon
Old 22 Oct 2006, 09:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Well, using the Shas'el for the Pathfinders alone might be a decent idea. In that case, I'd give him TL missile pods (same range as pathfinders + good firepower) and a C & C node. This way he helps out your "support" line while being quite a supporter himself. This commander is also cheap, and the added ld for target priority tests is not too expensive either. In fact, this entire commander weighs in at just 78 points! (IIRC; don't have the codex at the moment).
I have a FireKNife suit for the Missile Pod. Good range but not enough shots to get my attention for my configuration. But I thought that my Commander could operate up to 12" away from the PathFinders so that they (and others) still benefit from his Ld.

Quote:
However, looking at the thread you linked I suppose you intend to use him aggressively. In that case, he should be getting either a third weapon (the 2 you have are both short-ranged) or a Positional Relay (in case you have important deepstrike units). This being said, I feel giving him the AFP is a waste of his BS though - better get a Shas'vre or something. Anyway, the choice seems to have been done, so
As a third weapon the Missile Pod could be great for added versatility but I'm also concerned about paying to much for him. The old discussion of using a specialized unit the right way or not at all. I dislike the Positional Relay as I always wants to get as many as possible from Reserves and not just one. And yeah - the choice of the two weapons been made...

Quote:
Nice conversion; good luck!
Thx - he might see action Tuesday.

-Khelben
Old 22 Oct 2006, 09:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I asure you, when you've spent that many points on a commander in the first place, a 3rd weapon won't hurt you; although it is way better on a Shas'o than a Shas'el. However, CIB / AFP is a really strange configuration for a Commander (or at least I've never seen it). I'll be happy to hear how he performs. I mean, if he works for you it's all good

~Olannon
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:03   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

the cib/afp takes out infantry really well, in two digits kills a turn vs guants
Closed Thread