Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

what you think the kroot need
Closed Thread
Old 03 Jan 2005, 19:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to MEanBOb
Default what you think the kroot need

ok before anyone jumps to conclusions about not liking croot because everyone else doesnt i shall say this...ive played with them and i find the get ripped to shreds in assault with a rubbishy +6 save or none at all and there shooting isnt great either...

well what do you think the kroot could use...since it seems that us tau players will never get any better assault troops

i think they could jus scratch the ranged weapons get some better armor and get to close combat weapons so they are actully something in assault keep all there specail rules though...thats my opinion

Watch the language
Old 03 Jan 2005, 20:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: what you think the kroot need

kroot as a unit are fine, no save? who cares? they want to be in cover anyway and a better than 6+save doesnt fit the kroot fluff, why are you bemoaning kroots weapons? theyre bolters to all intents and purposes, dont see marines complaining :P, they also work aas 2 CCW thats a bargain if you ask me as it allows a mob of 20 for only 140pts to dish out 60 attacks on the charge. 60!! thats enough to butcher even SMurfs.

things that need fixing however:
-Shapers - cost too much
-Krootox - makes tem lose infiltrate while not being better than a HH or BS that you could fill their slot w/ and infiltrate is their only lifeline as they can infiltrate into cover.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 03 Jan 2005, 20:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

if you want more kroot options have you tired the great knarloc and various beasts from forge world...i agree that kroot are pretty good as they are...140pts (not 100!!) gets you those 60 attacks...but i definatley agree kroot shouldnt take up a HS slot and shapers cost 4 kroot??? no-ones going to take them? maybe some kroot elite type unit (that doesnt take up an elite slot obviuosly!) but if you want more kroot options why dont you play the kroot mercs army(sounds like you dont like kroot anyway but just an idea!)
Old 03 Jan 2005, 20:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEanBOb
i think they could jus scratch the ranged weapons get some better armor and get to close combat weapons so they are actully something in assault keep all there specail rules though...thats my opinion
If that to ment two then you have not read the codex well. Their kroot rifles count as two close combat weopons already.

Old 04 Jan 2005, 03:37   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I dunno, I don't have any issues with the cost of the kroot shaper. My beef with the kroot is that kroot hounds and krootox take up slots on the force org chart. I don't think that should be -- they should just be uptions for upgrades. To me, it shows a shallowness in the Tau list in general.

But, if I must have some kind of improvement, I sure wouldn't mind being able to give the shaper some kind of power weapon, like a sword, or an axe or something. I'm sure somewhere along the line these lads would've scavenged something from what they've eaten.

Oh yes, and the ability to carry photon grenades (or kroot-like equivalent) for when the enemy comes a callin'.

Just a few tweaks that would make them a little more characterful and that would also make them a little more attractive to others out there.
Old 04 Jan 2005, 03:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to -Unforgiven-

well...We could give the kroot Terminator Armor...?...or what about Dreadnought suits?

Note: May not lead you to free Gmail
Old 04 Jan 2005, 05:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

lol, terminator kroot

and sorry about the typo ;D

the kroot are fine barring the krootox and shaper. the shaper is abisively expensive and should cost 7pts or 8 to upgrade as that is what almost every other upgrade costs, the price of one troopser. krootox will never get used en masse as they remove HH from the feil but kroot hounds are fine ;D noone wanted those slots anyway ;D photon nades would be a mixed blessing as it would bump the kroot up to 8pts again.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 04 Jan 2005, 08:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

when discussing this you have to remember do you want an expensive excellent combat unit or a cheap good comabt unit? if you increase the effectivness of kroot then you have to increase their points, one of the joys of kroot in the first place is that they are seriously underpriced for their stat line, weapon and special abilites! take advantage of this!
Old 04 Jan 2005, 09:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman

i think the kroot are quite fine the way they are... they're cheap, they may be weak but you can use them to take out more 'crappy' untis in cc like eldar guardians or to simply hold up units in cc for that one turn that you don't want them shooting at your devilfish as it emerges from behind cover.
Old 04 Jan 2005, 11:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Possilble Kroot Upgrade -

Sludge Bombs, the kroot hurl these into their foes when fighting, momentarily cathcing them off gaurd and slowing them down, as a result kroot with sludge bombs will strike simultaeniuosly with enemies in assault (unless they have a higher initiative anyway),

+1pt per model, may not be used with kroot hounds or krootox