Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My Commander (w. pict)
Closed Thread
Old 19 Oct 2006, 10:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default My Commander (w. pict)

Hi there.
I need some advice to kit out my commander. So far I have made the conversion of giving my ForgeWorld Suit a AFP and a CIB. I think that it has a lot of potential against all infantry since it forces a lot of saves to be made. But what of the rest support systems? I've been away from playing for a while and I'm not quite up to date with gaming..
Can you help?

This is the guy so far:

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 16:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: My Commander (w. pict)

Seeing as you'll be so close to the enemy, maybe the vectored retro thrusters? If you get caught up in assault, you can jump out later. Of your commander can charge in and help out if another unit gets caught in assault, and then just bust your commander out when you need too. Stim', IMo would be a good choice too if your expecting a lot of return fire.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 16:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

having an AFB and a CIB is kinda contradictory. the AFB really doesn't need that impressive a BS as you'd have off of a Shas'O or Shas'El with a TA. the CIB, however, can really utilize it. You might want to consider replacing the AFB with a Burst Cannon or Plasma Rifle depending on if you want it more for anti GEQ or anti MEQ.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 18:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagonus
having an AFB and a CIB is kinda contradictory. the AFB really doesn't need that impressive a BS as you'd have off of a Shas'O or Shas'El with a TA. the CIB, however, can really utilize it. You might want to consider replacing the AFB with a Burst Cannon or Plasma Rifle depending on if you want it more for anti GEQ or anti MEQ.
The reason for giving my Commander the AFB is because I usually don't use other suits. I'm planning to go for a Shas 'El with Targeting Array to make sure that the CIB gets as many hits in as possible (and therefore better chances at a '6' to wound). The plan is to get within 18" (ofcourse) deliver the pieplate first to cover as many as possible and then shoot a whole lot with the CIB. The potential is huge and GEQ should get slapped and the MEQ gets to make alot of saves. And ofcourse I think that the model looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Seeing as you'll be so close to the enemy, maybe the vectored retro thrusters? If you get caught up in assault, you can jump out later. Of your commander can charge in and help out if another unit gets caught in assault, and then just bust your commander out when you need too. Stim', IMo would be a good choice too if your expecting a lot of return fire.
As said I'm going for the Shas 'el and he can't stand alot of pain (just like the Shas 'o ) so I'm not sure that I want to kit him out for a role he wont take. Though the Stim sounds very good. Do you have experience with it?

Thx for the feedback.

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 19:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

I use a stim on one of my Comm. I like it. Its that added bit of insurance. Its a 50/50 though when you get it. The 50% that you fail the save and its your last wound you need to save against that round... really bites. But for the cost its a good payoff I think. It works often enough that its points well spent I think.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 20:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd say some Stims and the Vectored Retros are in order.

Old 24 Oct 2006, 21:33   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Personally I don't always run a kitted out commander. Most of the time he's just a Shas El set up like the squad he is leading. Sometimes I take a shasel with vectored thrusters and twin linked fusions for a tank killer. I'll deep strike him in then join up with a large squad of drones to keep him around.

My fav character model is Shaso R'myrys from Imperial armor 3. He is sweet!
Old 24 Oct 2006, 22:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I wish that one weapon that we could take for Shas'Vres & above would be R'Myr's Plasma Rifle. Heck I would like that to be a special issue weapon, if nothing else.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 05:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelben
Though the Stim sounds very good. Do you have experience with it?
Not as much as I would like, but then again, I always go for the econo-commander 8).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagonus
Its a 50/50 though when you get it. The 50% that you fail the save and its your last wound you need to save against that round... really bites.
I'd agree, but I think your looking at it the wrong way. Think about it this way, your buying a 4+ INV. (except against power weapons and STR8 wepons), but not only that, you get to use it AFTER you've failed your regular armor saves. How much did a shield generator cost? Oh yea 20pts. How much do stim's cost, oh yea, 10pts. Not bad IMO.
Old 26 Oct 2006, 01:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

honestly i run a monat 'vre with an A.F.P. and twin burst for mass GEQ slaugthering. Then an 'O with a C.I.P. burst, V.R.T., HW Multi, Iridium, and Stim. The C.I.P. and Burst total 8 shots from one guy that only needs 2's to hit then the iridium, V.R.T., and stim keep him alive. This setup has survived a few turns in the face of a seer council armed with wych blades. He actually managed to kill 3 of the 4 warlocks the 2 farseers killed him with mind war when i used the V.R.T. to breakoff though.
Closed Thread