Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I'm gettin 'pooned...
Closed Thread
Old 19 Oct 2006, 02:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default I'm gettin 'pooned...

By Chaos Iron Warriors. I noticed through a bit of searching that Iron Warriors aren't mentioned much in the forums. The few, brief mentions of them intimate they are tough on Tau. I've play approximtely ten games and only won two and drew on another. My losses have been spectacular examples of an a** kicking; most complete wipes.

Let me first provide my load out at 500 points; up front, I only realized today that i'm about 50 points short, of course I understand this is a problem. However, I'm still concerned my tactics and load-out are weak; so here we go:

HQ: 1 Shas'el @ 92 Pts
Cyclic Ion Blaster; Missle Pod; Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Targeting Array

2 Troops: Fire Warrior (80 Pts)
5 Fire Warrior
Add Shas'ui; Pulse Rifle
1 Shas'ui Markerlight

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (63 Pts)
1 Crisis Battlesuit
Team Leader; HWMT; Twin Linked Missile Pod; TA

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (77 Pts)
1 Crisis Battlesuit
Team Leader; Fusion Blaster; HWMT; Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array

Heavy Support: Broadside Battlesuit (90 Pts)
1 Broadside Battlesuit
Team Leader; SMS; HWMT; ASS

He brings something like this

1 Lord W/Kai gun

Some Havocs w/autocannons

2 seprate Obliterators he deep strikes

two SM sqauds with a heavy bolter; sometimes Missles.

My tactics: I tend to hug cover tightly. I try to keep my Broadside out of LOS until the Oblits show up. I then use the ASS to try and pick one off. Standard JSJ with the crisis. I, as a rule, miss my markerlight rolls and then fire 5 PR shots at whatever. by turn three or so, he's melted my broadside or HQ and or/ 1-2 FW squads with those infernal Oblits. He sandwiches me between them in my deployment zone. Now, I have significantly changed my list which is based entirely on the only models I currently own (I have more on the way as I write this). Here's the new list:

HQ: Shas'el (92 Pts)
Cyclic Ion Blaster; Missile Pod; Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Targeting Array

2 Troops: Fire Warrior (85 Pts)
5 Fire Warrior
1 Shas'ui Bonding Knife; Markerlight

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (53 Pts)
1 Crisis Battlesuit
Twin Linked Missile Pod; Targeting Array

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (65 Pts)
1 Crisis Battlesuit
Twin Linked Plasma Rifle; Targeting Array

Heavy Support: Broadside Battlesuit (105 Pts)
1 Broadside Battlesuit @ 105 Pts
Team Leader; SMS; Hard-wired Drone Controller; Hard-wired Multi-tracker; Advanced Stabilization System
2 Shield Drones

What are your thoughts?
Old 19 Oct 2006, 07:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: I'm gettin 'pooned...

I hate it when people just tell me to "buy three hammerheads/fifteen piranhas/48 fire warriors" and then bitch-slap my poor opponent, so i'll work with the stuff you have here.

He's got only two obliterators, which he deep strikes separately? Well that doesn't sound like too much of a problem. Ditch the deathrain--he has no vehicles and no troop with less than a 3+ save, so why bother? instead go for another Burning Eye, and nail his fat obliterator butt the moment he pops up. Remember that with your good mobility you should not be letting his obliterators get free shots at your crisis suits without taking some target priority tests.

Upgrade your XV88s to carry PRs. Merge your two 5-man FW squads since you don't want them running after two casualties.

Stay out of the way of the autocannon and the missile team till you manage to JSJ them to death.

Ditch the targetting arrays: a little bit of math will tell you that an extra shot (from a fusion blaster) is infinitely more worth the third hardpoint.

Remember to hit his obliterators at rapid-fire range. 2 S6ap2 shots and one S8 ap1 shot should not have a problem in burning him down--and if that fails, get your commander to do it.

Ditch the CIB. in no way is its AP1 ability worth it against chaos marines. Instead go for a good ol' Helios (PR + FB) config. Stick with 'el and targetting array, I suppose.

keep FW out of line of sight. Like, forever. Why? the math is simple. He has heavy bolters. He has missile launchers. He has autocannons. All of them ignore your armor, hits on a 3+, and wounds on a 2+. Meanwhile your weapons hit on a 4+, wound on a 3+, and has to go through a 3+ armor save. He can wipe out your pitiful fire warrior squad in a turn. Which means that anything you expose to him, he will rip apart and sprinkle the bits like confetti. Rather you deny him the victory points than keep them out there to be slaughtered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yeah a lot to remember, but stick with this plan, you shouldn't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Old 19 Oct 2006, 09:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Try playing a mission with no DeepStrike or Deepstrike with your suits to fry his Oblits.
And I'm not sure if the weapon choice of TL Missile Pods is worth anything going against a Power Armour army that has no Rhinos to pop. Go for Plasma or Fusion instead - same price with the Fusion. Have you tried a Sniper Team? It's cheaper that the Broadside (which fires one shot) and it cant be seen? They melt through Armour (and schools..).
Hope it helps. Happy Gaming!

-Khelben
I'll stare the xxxxxxx in the face as he screams to God, and I'll laugh harder when he whimpers like a baby. And when his eyes go dead, the hell I send him to will seem like heaven after what I've done to him.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 09:26   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsrcool

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (63 Pts)
1 Crisis Battlesuit
Team Leader; HWMT; Twin Linked Missile Pod; TA

Why have you put a Multi-tracker, on a suit with 1 gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 17:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sorry RealMenUseCarbines But i play chaos and know that the two obliterators are a squad becuase you are only allowed 1 squad of obliterators. so he would have to deepstrike them together.

The strange child (AKA Tom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
The female race really is disgusting.

Old 19 Oct 2006, 17:57   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo1
Sorry RealMenUseCarbines But i play chaos and know that the two obliterators are a squad becuase you are only allowed 1 squad of obliterators. so he would have to deepstrike them together.

The strange child (AKA Tom)
I thought Iron Warriors were not subject to that limitation.

I would try to make very good use of deep cover and force him to come to you. Obliterators are very slow, so once they are down, they aren't going to be chasing you. Just wait him out. Obliterators are great, but they aren't going to do much to a unit buried in a forest or in 4+ cover.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 18:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Regardeless, the fusion blaster is going to be your weapon of choice here. Due to its S8 you'll be able to instakill those oblits. That is way better than the plasma rifles since they oblit has T5 for wounding purposes (T4 for insta kill). Since he has a T5, the Plasma Rifles will only wound on a 3+ and require two such wounds to kill him(not to mention he has to fail both 5+ invul. saves). The Fusion blaster on the other hand, wounds on a 2+, and insta kills him if he fails that 5+ invul.

So my advice is to either get some helios suits, Piranhas w/targetting arrays, or both. Then go to town on his oblits. His lord will fall victim to the fusiony goodness as well.

The main problem I see is the havocs w/autocannon and heavy bolters. My best advice there is to drop the broadside and replace it with an ionhead or at least a sniper team(if you have them).

This will give you more MEQ killing at range, and will allow ealier removal of those annoying havocs.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 19:21   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Aye, needs more fusion blasters IMO.

...and about the Chaos Lord you mentioned, since when was there a gun named after me? I'm fairly new to 40k. >.>
Old 19 Oct 2006, 20:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Use some plasma and fusion balsters. Mainly plasma because of the range. What you need is some anti-power armour in your army. Attach a MT and plasma to the BS. This will help you take out the Oblits and normal chaos.

Old 19 Oct 2006, 20:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I know it is a small points game, but I think quantity is better than quality when it comes to oblits. Shooting 12-24 pulse rifles at the oblits from cover will help.

What are you using the broadside against? Your opponent seems to have negated its greatest strength by relying on infantry. I'd drop that for a hammerhead or more FCW.

I've only played against IW once and I wiped him out to a man losing only a Pathfinder squad and 3-4 FCW. It helps when your opponent overextends himself. That game had me using multiple SMS behind cover on one unit at a time to take them all down. Not much help in your case I fear.