Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

TOUpdate: Revised Tau HQ
Closed Thread
Old 17 Oct 2006, 01:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default TOUpdate: Revised Tau HQ

I've had fun the past week or so listening and posting in the threads about Calmsword wanting us to band together and make some new units, and try and get them in a Chapter Approved or something. The fun part came with thinking up new units to have fun with. Whether it's thinking up new prototype units and putting them in my notebook, posting about new superheavies, or pulling up old units and bringing them up to the Tau forums, my life has been a lot less stressful latel when I can, when bored in class, just start thinking up new Tauish units. I can tell for me, at least, this will be a fun journey, despite whether we get anyhing published. A seperate board would be nice to do this on, so Khanaris, if you are going to ask TO to make a new board for this, it'd be nice if it was soon. (Yes I know I'm being pushy, bu I'm very excited at all the ideas we've been having).

Back on topic, Malveaux said in a post that he'd rather see a shas'el with an honor guard, and djust get rid of Ethereals entirely. I decided to remake commanders in accordance with this, but with a few added twists, and a new HQ choice, coming sometime soon.

Tau Commanders (Tau: Shas'el or Shas'o)
pts WS BS S T W I A W Ld Sv
shas'el 40 3 4 3 3 2 3 3 2 9 3+
shas'o 75 4 5 3 3 3 4 4 3 10 3+

Team: 1 shas'el or 1 shas'o.

Equipment: All commanders are armoured with reinforced carapace armour which provides a 3+ armour save, and armed with a pulse pistol.

Options: Commanders are either armoured with reinforced carapace or an XV8 crisis batlesuit at +15 points. The armour decides what type of weapons to give the commander.
If armed in a Crisis battlesuit, choose normally from the battlesuit wargear section.
If armoured in reinforced carapace, choose from the following options: Dual (TL) pulse pistol +3 pts, pulse rifle or carbine +3pts, rail rifle and target lock +10pts, markerlight +10pts.

Special Rules:
Independent Character: see Warhammer 40,000 rulebook
Bodyguard: the Commander may choose to take a bodyguard

Inspirational Leadership: Seeing a shas'el on the battlefield inspires great courage in the shas, and even contempt for the enemy if their commanders not deem the enemy worthy of him going to battle in a battlesuit. All Tau units within 18" of the shas'el may use his leadership for all Morale and Regrouping tests.

Commanding Presence: A shas'o on the field of battle without a battlesuit gains almost as much as respect from the shas as they give the Ethereals. Simply being there completely focuses the mind of all Tau warriors on the field. All Tau units on the board may reroll any Leadership test as long as the shas'o is alive. In addition, any unit joined by the shas'o can choose whether to automatically pass or fail morale checks.

Supreme Commander: Such is the rarity and importance of shas'os that only one may be fielded in a detachment.

Weapon Masters; All shas'os are supreme battlesuit pilots with unparalelled skill in the field. The way they use weapons confounds younger pilots, and even the trainers in battle domes. Any shas'o in a battlesuit can buy two of the same weapon, counting it as a separate weapon.

Field Testers: Becuase they are highly skilled pilots, shas'os donning battlesuits are always called upon by the Fio to test out various weapons. Unfortunately for the Fio, they generally lose the prototype if teh commander likes it. Luckily, the Earth Caste can make another one, and prepare it for mass production if more field tests are as successful. The shas'os also like to customize their battlesuits, adding weapons and such on to them, making the FIo in charge of upkeeping the suit semi-insane, but proving to be very combat effective. Shas'os, and shas'os only, have access to various upgrades to support and weapon systems, both as carapace and battlesuit armoured:
Note that any upgrades to support systems must be made to non hard-wired systems and are added on to the base cost of the support system. All costs are towards wargear allowance.
iridium blades +15pts (rending, S +3, carapace only)
iridium shield +10pts (5+ inv save, CO)
shade sword +10pts (+2 I, +1 S, CO)
jetpack +15pts (CO)
custom battlesuit +10pts (an extra hardpoint, may take a support system if in carapace)
advanced multi-tracker +8pts (shoot as many weapons as you want)
advanced target lock +8pts (shoot at two different targets)
advanced drone controller +5pts (control 4 drones)
advanced shield generator +15pts (3+ inv save)
advanced blacksun filter +5pts (see 2d6X8" and confer benfit to squad)
advanced weapon capacitors +10pts (+1 Str, +1 AP, [glow=red,2,300]or[/glow] +50% added to range of weapon, can be used more than once on same weapon, uses a hardpoint)
Advanced Thrusters: +10pts to retro-thrusters (Also counts as Retro-Thrusters. In addition, Jetpack assault move may be either 2d6+3" or the normal 6". If movement takes model off board or into impassable terrain, counts as destroyed. If move takes model into enemy unit, Suit counts as charging at initiative 10. In this case, both the suit and any models in base-to-base will take one Strength X hit, where X is equal to the suit's remaining distance. Armor saves taken as normal.)

I'll see what you guys think of these guys, and post the bodyguards tomorrow when I'm not so sleepy. :P

Cheers!

[size=8pt]Edit: made it so maximum hardpoints is four.[/size]
[size=8pt]Edit: advanced target lock ois now just shoot at two different targets.[/size]
[size=8pt]Edit: stole Khanaris's advanced thrusters idea. Thanks ;D[/size]

Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 01:37   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: TOUpdate: Revised Tau HQ

I like almost all of it, although it is some pretty strong stuff. Weapon Capacitors could be badly misused, though. I wouldn't allow more than one, and might bump up the cost. I like that you still didn't give the Tau any power weapons.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 01:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
I like almost all of it, although it is some pretty strong stuff. Weapon Capacitors could be badly misused, though. I wouldn't allow more than one, and might bump up the cost. I like that you still didn't give the Tau any power weapons.
yeah, I can see capacitors being misused, so instead of having people get more, it should just be one per weapon. And yes, power weapons for Tau are stupid. We might be okay in combat at times, but never enough to go through 50 marines. That would be wrong. and just remember, it might be strong stuff, but fairly expensive, and you can only get one guy with it so I think we'll be alright.
Quote:
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 03:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

shasocastris, I like the chart that you made, but limit the extra hardpoints to just 4. Where would you put the other hardpoints? Also the price of your Shield Generator is a little low... unless the +15 is above a normal SG.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 13:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It is in addition to the base, so 35 points total.

Quote:
Note that any upgrades to support systems must be made to non hard-wired systems and are added on to the base cost of the support system.
Otherwise, I have to agree with the lower hardpoint count ... A suit only comes with 4 normally, so where do you stick 5 more weapons and systems on these things? That's more than a little crazy, and it would probably make for a mildly silly looking suit too ...

And the more I think about the weapon capacitor ...
Suit with 9 hardpoints:
Missile Pod & Capacitor (Str 8 Ap 3)
Plasma Rifle & Capacitor (36" range)
Advanced Multitracker

You can deal 6 non-saveable wounds to MEQs at 36" without fear of getting shot back ... That might be overkill ...

Old 17 Oct 2006, 21:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Lancer
It is in addition to the base, so 35 points total.

Quote:
Note that any upgrades to support systems must be made to non hard-wired systems and are added on to the base cost of the support system.
Otherwise, I have to agree with the lower hardpoint count ... A suit only comes with 4 normally, so where do you stick 5 more weapons and systems on these things? That's more than a little crazy, and it would probably make for a mildly silly looking suit too ...

And the more I think about the weapon capacitor ...
Suit with 9 hardpoints:
Advanced Multitracker

You can deal 6 non-saveable wounds to MEQs at 36" without fear of getting shot back ... That might be overkill ...
You could only get 6 before I changed it...

Anyway, I decided to make a commander, in honour of this.

Commander (149)
-shas'o with missile pod x2, custom battlesuit, increased weapon capacitors (+1 AP) x2, HW MT

Cheers!
Quote:
Old 17 Oct 2006, 21:57   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Oh, and I might pull off the "sniper" ability from the Advanced Target Lock. Just being able to split fire between units will be a nice improvement. But being able to pick out models would give you the ability to auto-kill any normal non-vehicle model within 36". Basically an almost guaranteed kill of any Farseer, Marine Commander, or Warboss that isn't simply hiding behind a building. There is pretty much no way you could balance it. Even the Vindicare can't kill most big HQ characters in a single round.

Configuration would just be: Target Lock + Advanced Target Lock (13) + Missile Pod + Capacitor. And you can still JSJ with it. 20 more points for another Hardpoint and Capacitor, and you can kill tanks just as easily, or snipe anyone just about anywhere on the board (and still have IC protection). Yikes. Way too much. My worry is that it would be all to easy to write Army Lists as just a Shas'O and his meat shields. Marines and Chaos can sort of do that already, but Tau have always been more suited to a "combined arms" approach. No question that it would be fun to have HQ choices that are a little more unique than the bog standard Crisis Commander, though.

I think we need to use these to come up with a Battlesuit dueling mini-game, though. Like Virtual On!

And an idea to add:

Advanced Thrusters: Also counts as Retro-Thrusters. In addition, Jetpack assault move may be either 2d6+3" or the normal 6". If movement takes model off board or into impassable terrain, counts as destroyed. If move takes model into enemy unit, Suit counts as charging at initiative 10. In this case, both the suit and any models in base-to-base will take one Strength X hit, where X is equal to the suit's remaining distance. Armor saves taken as normal.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 00:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Oh, and I might pull off the "sniper" ability from the Advanced Target Lock. Just being able to split fire between units will be a nice improvement. But being able to pick out models would give you the ability to auto-kill any normal non-vehicle model within 36". Basically an almost guaranteed kill of any Farseer, Marine Commander, or Warboss that isn't simply hiding behind a building. There is pretty much no way you could balance it. Even the Vindicare can't kill most big HQ characters in a single round.

Configuration would just be: Target Lock + Advanced Target Lock (13) + Missile Pod + Capacitor. And you can still JSJ with it. 20 more points for another Hardpoint and Capacitor, and you can kill tanks just as easily, or snipe anyone just about anywhere on the board (and still have IC protection). Yikes. Way too much. My worry is that it would be all to easy to write Army Lists as just a Shas'O and his meat shields. Marines and Chaos can sort of do that already, but Tau have always been more suited to a "combined arms" approach. No question that it would be fun to have HQ choices that are a little more unique than the bog standard Crisis Commander, though.

I think we need to use these to come up with a Battlesuit dueling mini-game, though. Like Virtual On!

And an idea to add:

Advanced Thrusters: Also counts as Retro-Thrusters. In addition, Jetpack assault move may be either 2d6+3" or the normal 6". If movement takes model off board or into impassable terrain, counts as destroyed. If move takes model into enemy unit, Suit counts as charging at initiative 10. In this case, both the suit and any models in base-to-base will take one Strength X hit, where X is equal to the suit's remaining distance. Armor saves taken as normal.
I see what you mean about the target lock. I'll omit it. And I do like the advanced thrusters idea, so I'll steal it too

Cheers!
Quote:
Old 18 Oct 2006, 01:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would also make Advanced Capacitors only available for energy weapons. Missiles Pods don't use any energy.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 04:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

"Hey look, CC tau!"

That's pretty much my only beef. Would you look at that, Iridium blades, pulse pistols, if only there was some way to make it seem like we're good at close combat, no?

But I think that's a non-issue. With all those juicy battlesuit options, I doubt that anyone would pick a commander without a battlesuit.

I claim credit to the weapon capacitors idea!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=25909.0

There I had the "tritium phase generators" as working only for energy weapons, and i increased strength instead of AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Anyways, just because we have already had someone who called it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMenUseCarbines
Heh, thought he'd know by now...watch this turn into another relationship advice thread.
*DING DING DING* You're a winner!!! you get your choice of bragging rights or nothing, choose wisely!!!
Closed Thread