Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Hair of Tau
Closed Thread
Old 16 Oct 2006, 06:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default The Hair of Tau

Ok, so can someone help me out here?

A mate and I have decided to build a Tau army each with the idea in min that one army represents the loyal Greater Good while the other of course represents the rebels trying to break away and form their own empire. In true GW spirit and not being greatly inventive we are using the American Civil War as a basis. I am making the army of the Confederacy but one thing dogs me. It just seems wrong to have Ethereal Lee without a neatly trimmed beard.

So I know the Fire Warriors have those funny pigtails coming off their heads, so does that mean they can grow hair? Or do they just attach something to their head like Orks do with hair squigs?

Much appreciate any info you can supply on this burning issue.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 06:59   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: The Hair of Tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackledummy
Ok, so can someone help me out here?

A mate and I have decided to build a Tau army each with the idea in min that one army represents the loyal Greater Good while the other of course represents the rebels trying to break away and form their own empire. In true GW spirit and not being greatly inventive we are using the American Civil War as a basis. I am making the army of the Confederacy but one thing dogs me. It just seems wrong to have Ethereal Lee without a neatly trimmed beard.

So I know the Fire Warriors have those funny pigtails coming off their heads, so does that mean they can grow hair? Or do they just attach something to their head like Orks do with hair squigs?

Much appreciate any info you can supply on this burning issue.
Welcome to the forums!

There is actually a picture of a Tau warrior with what appears to be a full head of hair on page 33 of the codex. It is possible they just shave most of their heads regularly. I have a few unfinished instructors with full beards. I should really dig them out.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 07:05   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ahhh, brilliant.

Cheers mate. I suppose I should actually get out there and buy the codex. Only really started this yesterday and have 6 fire warriors almost fully glued. So the project is very much in it's infancy.

Next question then:

My Crisis suits are going to be armoured cavalry rather than jump suits as it were. Are there any kinds of fast moving mounts the Tau are renown for using?
Old 16 Oct 2006, 07:10   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Ahhh, brilliant.

Cheers mate. I suppose I should actually get out there and buy the codex. Only really started this yesterday and have 6 fire warriors almost fully glued. So the project is very much in it's infancy.

Next question then:

My Crisis suits are going to be armoured cavalry rather than jump suits as it were. Are there any kinds of fast moving mounts the Tau are renown for using?
Not that I have seen, although it wouldn't be terribly difficult to justify an adaptation to local animals in such a manner. The Tau as we know them just use vehicles. I would figure out the models you are going to use first and then write the fluff for them afterwards.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 07:16   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yeah, that's the hardest part. Don't want to use horses if I can avoid it...although...Kroorses could work. Other than that, the new Cold Ones I think look cabbage, the old ones look too slow and wolves and boars just seem a bit savage for Tau.

Oh, where's a good place to source the helmetless Tau heads? I lots of guys with those slopey civil war hats so hence need lots of those heads. And yes I'm kinda too lazy to make a Green Stuff mould unless I absoloutely have to.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 07:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Welcome to the forums!

There is actually a picture of a Tau warrior with what appears to be a full head of hair on page 33 of the codex. It is possible they just shave most of their heads regularly. I have a few unfinished instructors with full beards. I should really dig them out.
I'm pretty sure that's just a top-knot. Aun'Va does seem to have a narrow and long gote on 43 though.

Quote:
Yeah, that's the hardest part. Don't want to use horses if I can avoid it...although...Kroorses could work. Other than that, the new Cold Ones I think look cabbage, the old ones look too slow and wolves and boars just seem a bit savage for Tau.

Oh, where's a good place to source the helmetless Tau heads? I lots of guys with those slopey civil war hats so hence need lots of those heads. And yes I'm kinda too lazy to make a Green Stuff mould unless I absoloutely have to.
http://www.battlewagon-bits.com/ will let you get bits and pieces if you need anything in abundance that doesn't come in that way.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 20:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think the Tau hair style depends on their caste. Just makes it more interesting and easy to identify people. However, I have never seen a Tau with beard . . . . but maybe they've evolved to a colder planet, where body and facial hair helps keep you warm? Lots of awesome tips, here. You could actually take a DE Raven and do horrible things to it with Tau bits.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 20:38   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Theres an Ethereal with a beard in the codex, I can't remember what page, but it's definately there.
Old 17 Oct 2006, 23:08   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Sweet. Thanks all.

Ah well, I think I'll just do it anyway, legalities be damned. They need to look a bit rough and unkempt somehow and I figure longish dirty hair and dirt and chips on the armour would be the best way.
Closed Thread