Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranhas vs. Stealth Suits
Closed Thread
Old 16 Oct 2006, 00:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Piranhas vs. Stealth Suits

So, here comes the show down.

Which would you pick if you had to choose, either/or, and why?

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 02:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke
Default Re: Piranha's vs Stealth Suits

Depends on the situation.

Anti Vehicle: Piranha. It's Fast (literally!) and can have a nice Fusion Blaster. Cheap, too.

Anti Infantry: Stealth Stuits. Each one has a burst cannon, plus it can JSJ, has a good save, and has the stealth fielding. Don't forget to infiltrate! These can also have Fusions, but that's a waste of a burst cannon!

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 16 Oct 2006, 02:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

To put it simply, what Nuke said.

Piranhas are made for anti-light vehicle roles. They are fast (they are the only Tau unit to ever receive this rule), can move 12" and still shoot, and the weapon they shoot with is perfect for taking out the rear sides of vehicles (strong, and has great AP). However, when it comes to taking out infantry, that is the Stealth Team's role, they have access to more Burst Cannons, at their cheap price, then any other Tau unit. Not only this, but they are extremely resilient, they have good armour saves, the J-S-J tactic (giving them cover in firefights), and Stealth Field Generators, meaning that it's hard to spot them in the first place.

For the most part, it's simply up to deciding what kind of enemies you fight most often, or rather what kind of enemies you don't have covered by your units (as you can decide which specialized role a unit needs to get them into your army). Piranhas have more Fusion Blaster access, meaning they have a better chance at punching through vehicle armour then Stealth Teams (5>1), and Stealth Teams have more shots then Piranhas (both in access, and for what they cost), so they can hurt infantry units more (18>15 shots for much better points).

Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 02:42   #4 (permalink)
lonely tau

Horribly useless i know, but taking a full squad of 5 Pihranas with minimal upgrades and sending it face to face with a giant horde of guardsmen/guants without heavy weapons of their own...great Anti-infantry!

anyways, being more serious, Pihranas for tanks and Stealths for infantry.

Old 16 Oct 2006, 02:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Tau
Horribly useless i know, but taking a full squad of 5 Pihranas with minimal upgrades and sending it face to face with a giant horde of guardsmen/guants without heavy weapons of their own...great Anti-infantry!
A good tactic because they really don't offer much harm. Lasguns won't do anything at long range, and the Guardsmens' strength in close combat isn't enough to do anything. Gaunts would have to have Fleshborers to even have a chance at glancing the Piranha (only a 16.6% chance after hitting), and to do anything in close combat they'd have to have Toxin Sacs (and then at long range they'd have a 33.3% chance of glancing a Piranha if they hit), however that'd cost quite a bit.

Against those weaker units I suppose it would be a little more effective to take Piranhas over Stealth Suits, but it's still more expensive. Stealth Suits, in most cases however, are still the best at anti-infantry against the Piranha, and are a lot cheaper (2 Stealths to a Piranha).
Old 16 Oct 2006, 04:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Piranhas vs. Stealth Suits

IMO Piranhas and Stealth are both pretty much equal in the infantry hunting department. They are equal, but different.

Remember, while it is true you get 2 Stealths for 1 Piranha, it is also true a Piranha has 2 gun drones and a burst cannon. That's 5 S5 shots on a Piranha compared to 6 on the stealths. The stealths have a 1 shot advantage offensively. It is important to remember that the two drone shots can pin and have slightly better BS than the stealth shots. In addition they can detach and fight seperate units. So that 1 shot advantage does not neccisarily make the stealths better offensively.

Defensively, I like the Piranha better, its AV is better against most weapons than a simple save and when in close, AV is more reliable than stealth fields. Heck, it takes a STR5 minimum weapon to even glance a Piranha. In addition, the drones are two extra ablative wounds with JSJ and that decent 4+ save.

Finally, Piranhas can take the targetting array upgrade for 5 points cheaper than stealth suits, this upgrade makes them more cost effective offensively than stealths.

So to say stealth suits are the better infantry killers, is a little premature. I'd say stealths are better for putting out slightly better volumes of fire, while Piranhas are better at getting extra fire suppresion where it needs to be in a hurry.

BTW they work great in tandem. Just use your stealths as a lure to draw a few of his units in their direction. Then just swoop in with the Piranha and have both units open fire. The stealths can then jump behind the Piranha and be protected from any fast assaulters which may have survived their combined firepower.

As far as tank hunting goes, the Piranha is king due to its speed couple with a fusion blaster.

The fusion on a stealth suit is not an uopgrade I would reccomend because the stealth suits are fragile up close.

Old 16 Oct 2006, 04:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ah, forgot about the Gun Drones there.

I think offensively the victory still goes to the Stealth Suits. They provide more shots, and even with the Gun Drone's ability to pin they are still at less accuracy (albeit a small amount). Not to mention with only 2 pinning shots there isn't much of a chance of pinning the average enemy (and note that pinning is less offensive, as it is defensive in its regards of holding an enemy down from shooting back at you).

Defensively, it's pretty close, although I too would lean towards the Piranha. While the Stealth Suits do have a Stealth Generator, and good armour, the Piranha has an AV value, giving most infantry (the enemies we are comparing the two units' effectiveness against) a very slim chance of harming the vehicle, not to mention its skimmer rules. And then you have +2 wounds from the Drones added with their decent armour save of 4+ and their J-S-J ability.

All around, pretty balanced capabilities, but Stealth gets closer to winning offensive, while Piranhas are closer to winning defensive (although they get quite a win in that section).
Old 16 Oct 2006, 04:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like the pirahna, but on in teams at the most of 2.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 11:21   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It seems as if everyone prefers the Pirahna in an anti-tank role, but am I the only one that finds stealths with fusion blasters useful?

Imagine this,

A Land Raider, chock full of termies, is coming at you, but has to pass near some sort of cover. Have your stealths jump out and blow a hole in said Raider! ;D

But, maybe that's just me. :P
Old 16 Oct 2006, 14:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar
but am I the only one that finds stealths with fusion blasters useful?
It's not that they aren't useful, it's that Piranhas with Fusion Blasters are a bit better. Piranhas have the speed to help with the short range of the Fusion Blaster, and with the right moves, you can easily end up right behind an enemy vehicle, and right there, is when the Fusion Blaster hits its max in anti-tank.
Closed Thread