Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Police State
Reply
Old 14 Oct 2006, 21:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 372
Default Tau Police State

"The Tau is a multi-species coalition that offers new races the opportunity to join their police-state society or die." - Allen 'Delsyn' Rausch, (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-4.../738742p1.html)


Discuss what you think of this quote. I personally disagree with it strongly on many levels.

__________________

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 21:44   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: Tau Police State

The writer is just going off of the game's limited background. It is the same kind of misconception that made Fire Warrior so over-the-top taken in the other direction.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 21:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 262
Default Re: Tau Police State

Hahaha! Tau a police-state! That's hilarious!

Then again, just look at those Tau propaganda posters someone posted the other day, and it's not that hard to imagine them being commie either.

Though this may be slightly off topic, were Vespid and Human Aux. added, or just Kroot? Because then it wouldn't be very much of a "multi-species coalition."
__________________
Thanks to Rapouc for Chrismas-izing my avatar!

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
KanmuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 22:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Netherlands - Hilversum
Posts: 338
Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard
Default Re: Tau Police State

"A police state is a state in which the government maintains strict control over the population, particularly through suspension of civil rights, usually by means of a force of secret police. Given that its objective is often to repress internal opposition among its citizens"

Wouldn't say it's too far from the truth... Tau aren't exactly free to do what they want, and while the Ethereals aren't secret or police, they do repress internal opposition among the citizens. For the most part, Tau government maintains strict control over its population though the caste system. Of course, the Tau Empire comes of pretty nicely next to the Imperium, but I wouldn't go beating people on the head for calling the Tau Empire a police state...
__________________
"Quote" - me
Terras Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 22:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Tau Police State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra's "Call me Mark" Guard
"A police state is a state in which the government maintains strict control over the population, particularly through suspension of civil rights, usually by means of a force of secret police. Given that its objective is often to repress internal opposition among its citizens"

Wouldn't say it's too far from the truth... Tau aren't exactly free to do what they want, and while the Ethereals aren't secret or police, they do repress internal opposition among the citizens. For the most part, Tau government maintains strict control over its population though the caste system. Of course, the Tau Empire comes of pretty nicely next to the Imperium, but I wouldn't go beating people on the head for calling the Tau Empire a police state...
the difference between a police state and the tau empire is that the tau citizens CHOOSE to obey the ethereals without question.
__________________

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 22:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: America
Posts: 935
Default Re: Tau Police State

EXACTLY! that was what i was about to say
Firewarrior26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 23:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Netherlands - Hilversum
Posts: 338
Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard
Default Re: Tau Police State

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra's "Call me Mark" Guard
"A police state is a state in which the government maintains strict control over the population, particularly through suspension of civil rights, usually by means of a force of secret police. Given that its objective is often to repress internal opposition among its citizens"

Wouldn't say it's too far from the truth... Tau aren't exactly free to do what they want, and while the Ethereals aren't secret or police, they do repress internal opposition among the citizens. For the most part, Tau government maintains strict control over its population though the caste system. Of course, the Tau Empire comes of pretty nicely next to the Imperium, but I wouldn't go beating people on the head for calling the Tau Empire a police state...
the difference between a police state and the tau empire is that the tau citizens CHOOSE to obey the ethereals without question.
Tau really don't have an alternative, now do they? 'sides, what about the other races in the Tau Empire?
__________________
"Quote" - me
Terras Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 23:15   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 18,087
Default Re: Tau Police State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra's "Call me Mark" Guard

Tau really don't have an alternative, now do they?
It still doesn't make them a police state, exactly. They are not humans, and shouldn't be thought of as such. Since they don't have a concept of disobedience to start with, there is no reason for an armed police to keep them in line. I actually take more issue with the second part, though. We don't have any examples of the Tau destroying a population because they refused to join the Empire. The more likely approach is for the Tau to simply keep fighting them until they relent (as with humans and apparently the Nicassar), or else just forget it entirely (as with the Demiurg). The offer is never off the table. It isn't an ultimatum that they throw down before battle like the Mongols.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 23:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,891
Default Re: Tau Police State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra's "Call me Mark" Guard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra's "Call me Mark" Guard
"A police state is a state in which the government maintains strict control over the population, particularly through suspension of civil rights, usually by means of a force of secret police. Given that its objective is often to repress internal opposition among its citizens"

Wouldn't say it's too far from the truth... Tau aren't exactly free to do what they want, and while the Ethereals aren't secret or police, they do repress internal opposition among the citizens. For the most part, Tau government maintains strict control over its population though the caste system. Of course, the Tau Empire comes of pretty nicely next to the Imperium, but I wouldn't go beating people on the head for calling the Tau Empire a police state...
the difference between a police state and the tau empire is that the tau citizens CHOOSE to obey the ethereal without question.
Tau really don't have an alternative, now do they? 'sides, what about the other races in the Tau Empire?
yes they do. they have the choice to follow willingly or to defect join farsightenclave or whatever. anyway point is that they don't ant other options they live to please the ethereals and don't need any persuasion.
kroot under anghor prok follow because their leader does. other kroot follow for cold hard ash not because they are forced to. and vespid follow because their leaders do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra's "Call me Mark" Guard

Tau really don't have an alternative, now do they?
It still doesn't make them a police state, exactly. They are not humans, and shouldn't be thought of as such. Since they don't have a concept of disobedience to start with, there is no reason for an armed police to keep them in line. I actually take more issue with the second part, though. We don't have any examples of the Tau destroying a population because they refused to join the Empire. The more likely approach is for the Tau to simply keep fighting them until they relent (as with humans and apparently the Nicassar), or else just forget it entirely (as with the Demiurg). The offer is never off the table. It isn't an ultimatum that they throw down before battle like the Mongols.
beat me there. but yeah i agree entirely
__________________

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2006, 00:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 3,023
Default Re: Tau Police State

there hasn't been one case of any tau defecting to Farsight- and honestly we don't even know if he has defected. regardless Khanaris has got it pretty much down, 'join when you want'- they pulled a tactic on Kronos which was interesting against the Eldar. They tried to cut off their escape so they would 'have to' join the Tau'va, of course the eldar refused and retreated into the wilderness.
__________________
~Good Hunting
calmsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tau Police? BurntEskimo 40K Universe 22 23 Jun 2007 16:54
Police state known as britain... Nightmare Serious Debate and Discussion 67 10 Jun 2007 07:40
The Rise of the Police State. Security at the cost of Liberty Go Guard Or Go Home Serious Debate and Discussion 49 02 Apr 2007 01:41
Top Ten signs of a U.S. Police State. Praying Mantidae Serious Debate and Discussion 24 03 Jun 2006 21:21
Tau Police ForbiddenKnowledge Tau 56 09 Mar 2006 19:15