Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Police State
Old 14 Oct 2006, 21:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau Police State

"The Tau is a multi-species coalition that offers new races the opportunity to join their police-state society or die." - Allen 'Delsyn' Rausch, (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-4.../738742p1.html)

Discuss what you think of this quote. I personally disagree with it strongly on many levels.

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 21:44   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Tau Police State

The writer is just going off of the game's limited background. It is the same kind of misconception that made Fire Warrior so over-the-top taken in the other direction.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 21:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hahaha! Tau a police-state! That's hilarious!

Then again, just look at those Tau propaganda posters someone posted the other day, and it's not that hard to imagine them being commie either.

Though this may be slightly off topic, were Vespid and Human Aux. added, or just Kroot? Because then it wouldn't be very much of a "multi-species coalition."

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
KanmuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 22:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard

"A police state is a state in which the government maintains strict control over the population, particularly through suspension of civil rights, usually by means of a force of secret police. Given that its objective is often to repress internal opposition among its citizens"

Wouldn't say it's too far from the truth... Tau aren't exactly free to do what they want, and while the Ethereals aren't secret or police, they do repress internal opposition among the citizens. For the most part, Tau government maintains strict control over its population though the caste system. Of course, the Tau Empire comes of pretty nicely next to the Imperium, but I wouldn't go beating people on the head for calling the Tau Empire a police state...
Old 14 Oct 2006, 22:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra's "Call me Mark" Guard
"A police state is a state in which the government maintains strict control over the population, particularly through suspension of civil rights, usually by means of a force of secret police. Given that its objective is often to repress internal opposition among its citizens"

Wouldn't say it's too far from the truth... Tau aren't exactly free to do what they want, and while the Ethereals aren't secret or police, they do repress internal opposition among the citizens. For the most part, Tau government maintains strict control over its population though the caste system. Of course, the Tau Empire comes of pretty nicely next to the Imperium, but I wouldn't go beating people on the head for calling the Tau Empire a police state...
the difference between a police state and the tau empire is that the tau citizens CHOOSE to obey the ethereals without question.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 22:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

EXACTLY! that was what i was about to say
Firewarrior26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 23:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Terras Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseman
Quote:

the difference between a police state and the tau empire is that the tau citizens CHOOSE to obey the ethereals without question.
Tau really don't have an alternative, now do they? 'sides, what about the other races in the Tau Empire?
Old 14 Oct 2006, 23:15   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:

Tau really don't have an alternative, now do they?
It still doesn't make them a police state, exactly. They are not humans, and shouldn't be thought of as such. Since they don't have a concept of disobedience to start with, there is no reason for an armed police to keep them in line. I actually take more issue with the second part, though. We don't have any examples of the Tau destroying a population because they refused to join the Empire. The more likely approach is for the Tau to simply keep fighting them until they relent (as with humans and apparently the Nicassar), or else just forget it entirely (as with the Demiurg). The offer is never off the table. It isn't an ultimatum that they throw down before battle like the Mongols.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2006, 23:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseman
Quote:

the difference between a police state and the tau empire is that the tau citizens CHOOSE to obey the ethereal without question.
Tau really don't have an alternative, now do they? 'sides, what about the other races in the Tau Empire?
yes they do. they have the choice to follow willingly or to defect join farsightenclave or whatever. anyway point is that they don't ant other options they live to please the ethereals and don't need any persuasion.
kroot under anghor prok follow because their leader does. other kroot follow for cold hard ash not because they are forced to. and vespid follow because their leaders do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:

Tau really don't have an alternative, now do they?
It still doesn't make them a police state, exactly. They are not humans, and shouldn't be thought of as such. Since they don't have a concept of disobedience to start with, there is no reason for an armed police to keep them in line. I actually take more issue with the second part, though. We don't have any examples of the Tau destroying a population because they refused to join the Empire. The more likely approach is for the Tau to simply keep fighting them until they relent (as with humans and apparently the Nicassar), or else just forget it entirely (as with the Demiurg). The offer is never off the table. It isn't an ultimatum that they throw down before battle like the Mongols.
beat me there. but yeah i agree entirely

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2006, 00:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

there hasn't been one case of any tau defecting to Farsight- and honestly we don't even know if he has defected. regardless Khanaris has got it pretty much down, 'join when you want'- they pulled a tactic on Kronos which was interesting against the Eldar. They tried to cut off their escape so they would 'have to' join the Tau'va, of course the eldar refused and retreated into the wilderness.