Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

All the pretty colours......
Closed Thread
Old 03 Oct 2006, 16:11   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default All the pretty colours......

Can anyone tell me, or point me in the direction of, the Tau words for the colours Red, Green, Blue and possibly Yellow, as I have searched, and googled, to no effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
Old 03 Oct 2006, 18:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: All the pretty colours......

Question:

Do the Tau see in 'colour' or just shades of grey?

The lack of any official fluff about Tau colour words leads me to think that the Tau don't 'see' colour. I base this theory on the fact that technically colour does not exist.

We only perceive colour in our mind. Colour is the result of atoms acting like tiny electric dipoles thus affecting the behaviour of electromagnetic light waves. Depending on the shape and structure of a molecule will result in diffring reflections of light.

On a side note some fish can see infra-red light. As we are not Tau how can we say that the Tau can perceive colour.

I have never seen/heard/read etc. any fluff to say the Tau have words for colour. Sorry. :-\

-I think I will start a new topic on the pseudo science of Tau stealth.
Old 03 Oct 2006, 19:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Tau could very well see in color. To bring up colors in the language is pretty pointless on a game revolved around War, the fact just isn't as important as knowing words for their weapons, ranks and what not, to put all the less important facts in there like words for love, mother, father, color and types of food would just be a waste of page space, that is left up to the reader to interpret.

If you were to base the fact that tau can't see color because it is not written, then you could say the same that they don't eat, or they don't procreate.
Old 03 Oct 2006, 20:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
Do the Tau see in 'colour' or just shades of grey?
Why, or rather, how, would a race that can't see colours make different coloured armours and clothe designs? Their units are covered in elegant bright colours unique to each sept, an impossible thing to have to a race that is colourblind.
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
Old 03 Oct 2006, 21:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i agree with toad...
my dad is color blind, so he has no idea
what im doing, and why it takes so much
work to paint them
Old 03 Oct 2006, 23:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes, they must see in color (or at least have a way to determine colors), or they wouldn't be able to make camo.
Old 03 Oct 2006, 23:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thats not technically true, tigers afterall are camoflaged yet only see black and white. They would be able to observe that certain colours are better at concealment even if they can't see them themselves, like we know that birds, insects and plants make use of colours towards the blue end of the spectrum we can't see. Most of those dull white or blue flowers are a lot more interesting in the UV spectrum.

Speaking of the UV spectrum, Tau's vision according to their IX extends further into the red and blue end of the spectrum than humans do. Far as colour goes their vision is better than ours. A Tau city probably looks a lot more artistic and elegant to Tau eyes than it does to a human - we see plain white domes whilst they see the intricate details and signs picked out in ultraviolet.
Old 04 Oct 2006, 00:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

tastyfish, your wrong
tigers probably instinctivley know how to camoflogue them selves.
although i might be wrong
Old 04 Oct 2006, 00:41   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Well, yes, that and the fact that their camoflauge is NATURAL. They don't MAKE it.... the stripes break up their outline against the background of the forest, making it hard for their prey to know which way its moving.

Tigers, and all other animals with natural camoflauge, were not a particularly good choice for comparison.

I'd say Tau see color, possibly even in different spectrums. How else, as stated earlier, would they be able to even think about using different colorurs for different septs/hunter cadres, etc.
Old 04 Oct 2006, 00:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Tigers don't instinctively or intensionally camoflage themselves, its a product of evolution that only requires the prey not to see the tiger (though they also see in black and white for the most part). It was more an example of not needing to be able to see colours to benefit from camoflage.
However the point about the butterflies, bees birds and flowers still stands.

If you look at the plainer flowers with a UV responsive camera there are guiding lines that the insects can follow to get access to the pollon and nectar. Just because we can't see it doesn't mean its not something we can find and then use
Closed Thread