Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau 2000 points Tournament list by Ash. Feedback plz
Closed Thread
Old 30 Dec 2004, 22:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau 2000 points Tournament list by Ash. Feedback plz

I finished 5th out of 20 in a tournament a few weeks ago with my Tau and I should be happy about it since it was my first tournament with them. I played Spacewolves before but Tau are so much more interesting since you can't make any mistakes*
Anyway as I said I should be happy about the result but I'm not ! So I made this list instead

HQ Etheral* 50pts

Troops 1 Firewarrior team ,10*
Pulse rifles, Bonded, Shas' ui with markerlight and H-wired target lock* * *137pts

Troops 2 Firewarrior team ,10
Pulse rifles, Bonded, Shas' ui with markerlight and H-wired target lock* * *137pts

Troops 3 Firewarrior team ,10

Troops 4 Firewarrior team ,10*

Troops 5 Kroot Carnivore ,11
Kroot rifles* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *77pts

Elites 1 Crisis team ,2
T-linked plasma rifles & missile pod, Bonded* * * * * * 146pts

Elites 2 Crisis team ,2
T-linked plasma rifles & missile pod, Bonded* * * * * * 146pts

Heavy 1 Broadsides ,2 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
T-linked railguns, smartmissile systems, 1 drone controller
1 target lock, 2 shield drones* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 185pts

Heavy 2 Hammerhead
Railgun, burstcannons, targetting array, decoy launchers
Multi tracker, 2 seeker missiles* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *190pts

Heavy 3 Hammerhead
Railgun, burstcannons, targetting array, decoy launchers
Multi tracker, 2 seeker missiles* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *190pts

Fast 1 Pathfinder team ,8
Pulse carbines, markerlights, Shas'ui, Bonded* * * * * * * * * * * *108pts
Devilfish transport
Burst cannon, gun drone upgrade, decoy launchers
4 seeker missiles* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 125pts

Fast 2 Pathfinder team ,8
Pulse carbines, markerlights, Shas'ui, Bonded* * * * * * * * * * * *108pts
Devilfish transport
Burst cannon, gun drone upgrade, decoy launchers
4 seeker missiles* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 125pts

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 1998 pts total

My strategi (depends on enemy since it's tournament) is as follows for each units

1. Etheral .... well I'm going to keep him hidden from just about everything as far away from the battle as possible.

2. Firewarriors is the core of this army (as it is many other armies) and hopefully I can get them in decent cover as close to the enemy as possible in my deployment. Note that each unit has a markerlight that can fire on a different unit cause of the target lock, it's good for guiding the railguns where you don't need as many hits as the pathfinders provide (I save them for the seeker missiles).

3. Kroots can either do something great (like getting the chance to assault a forward moving enemy) or just die but since they're so cheap it really doesn't matter, it's worth a shot and besides it gives the enemy one more unit to worry about.

4. Crisis suits can either deepstrike to take out some annoying troops or stay back with the Firewarriors and protect them from incoming assault troops as long as there is cover for them to hide in. If there's no cover for them I'll just try get to the enemys "most wanted" troops and kill them (usually a devastator squad of some sort. They can be used for many things in short.

5. Broadsides do what broadsides do ..... blast enemy tanks ! I have given them 2 shield drones so that I can choose (atleast the first few shots) who takes what hit. They live atleast one more round and 30 points is worth it if you can blast an enemy tank worth 100+vp

6. Pathfinders are my favourite troops after the new rules regarding markerlights, NO COVER SAVE if hit by one. So I push them a bit ahead of the army with the free move they get and deploy in some good cover and hopefully you can reach everything your enemy has deployed. The first round is usually devastating for my opponent since I'm pretty sure I will take down 2 tanks only with the pathfinders and atleast 1 or 2 more with the railguns.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 22:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: Tau 2000 points Tournament list by Ash. Feedback plz

If I comment its not gonna resemble that crappy army much, you want me to bother?
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 30 Dec 2004, 22:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

i could do it for you seeing as i know exactly what you are going to say.....
Old 30 Dec 2004, 22:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

but i wont...thats all from me for one night!
Old 30 Dec 2004, 22:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

night 42.

and you see what I mean mr, cr*ppy list man (now I'm being stupid, its the tiredness talking.... really ;D)
go here
Old 30 Dec 2004, 22:23   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thought this was a serious forum, guess not ....
Old 30 Dec 2004, 22:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

it is, hard to be serious when presented w/ that though. so much work needs to be done on it Its better to scrap it and start again.
go here
Old 30 Dec 2004, 22:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

*chuckle* *Be nice, now.... *Tis the end of the year! *

As you can probably tell even this soon, any posted list will get all kinds of different replies; some will like a given idea, some will not. *Personally, I prefer a more mobile Tau army, but this one is still a good, strong force. *The list you posted is one I could very easily use, in fact!

From the tactics you've provided, it looks like a solid force that you know what to do with. *Alternatives abound naturally, such as adding a few Tau mobile Fire Warrior units in Devilfish, or adding a wedge of Gun drones, or a powerful HQ Crisis suits force.

As far as I can tell, your list has a good bit of static firepower and a nice (if small) piece of mobility as well. *What is it you don't like about the army? *I know Space Wolves are much more assaulty tha the Tau; perhaps making more of your force mobile (more Crisis suits, mounted Fire Warriors in Devilfish, Gundrones) would help?
Old 30 Dec 2004, 22:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmodean
Thought this was a serious forum, guess not ....
It is serious, it's just..... freely flowing with many hard-held opinions. Free salt is at the door; feel free to grab a bag or two, just in case.
Old 30 Dec 2004, 22:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

yes this si a varied and diverse forum with many opinions, overriden by MINE! of course ;D.

to you that may look like an optimised list with solid tactics, to me it looks like a smoking pile of SH*T!

it couldnt run away to save itself, has all the halmarks of someone who should be playing shooty guard and in general epitomises everything that disgusts me, have a nice day ;D
go here
Closed Thread