Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I have decided to go Mechanised! ant for Tau!
Closed Thread
Old 30 Dec 2004, 14:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default I have decided to go Mechanised! ant for Tau!

Hello, on advice given by Diizygamer I have decided to go wit a mechanised tau army.

Basics are all unit is in 'fishes, deployed via deep strike (custom rules for Tau at our club) from Mantas.

They are the Lra'hen Sept, like a forge world basically- Earth Caste world

Is this gonna be an effective Tau army?
Old 30 Dec 2004, 15:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: I have decided to go Mechanised! ant for Tau!

when you say 'all units' i would never put every unit of firewarriors in fishes as the model count becomes too low due to high points cost and also it can take just on efluky shot for each fish and your army is suddenly crushed by a few tactical squads' rocket launchers. Don't get me wrong, playing mechanised is the ebst way to go for tau, but id keep half of your fire warriror units (roudning down so with 3 units, 2 would have fishes) in fishes so its less risky and you can have a firebase as a lure. Also, kroot may not be very mobile but i find them great for creating distractions, holding cover/objectuives, covering retreats, they are just generally a great all purpose troop, they can be taken in large nos. and are effective in cc, 60 attacks on the charge? and their weapons aren't too shabby either! Sounds good though for your army, lets see a 1k list sometime!
Old 30 Dec 2004, 15:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well ok:

HQ
Shas'o'Lra'hen'Kais
Shas'o with Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, HW Multi-Tracker and HW Drone Controller 2 gundrones and a Sheild Gen- 151pts

ELITES
Stealth Team with 3 Shas'ui in stealth armour- 90pts

TROOPS
3x 12 Shas'la in Devilfish with Pulse Rifles- (200) 600pts

FAST ATACK

HEAVY SUPPORT
Hammerhead with Railgun, Burst Cannon, Multi-Tracker 150pts

Total:991pts

This is a basic list, gonna check up wit da powergamin test
Old 30 Dec 2004, 16:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

hmm, can i suggest a few changes...

commander, great he has a name, makes it a bit more personal, in a 1k battle though its better off having a simple, low points cost fireknife shas'el for 85 points, if you are just attatched with your shas'o (i get the feeling you are seeing as you named him!) then we'll keep him but with a simple fireknife -

HQ
110pts

ELTES
With points saved from troops you can have alarger stealth team and some versitile fireknife crisis suits

4 Stealth

2 Crisis Suits (each in different slots)
Fireknife

TROOPS - 460
Very good! IMO putting all the squads is unnecceserily mechanised and can be brought to peices if the fishes go down to lucky shots/grenades and fire warriors die in the explosion.....therefore id make the troops section look like this -

12 FW, Shas'ui - 130
12 FW, Shas'ui, Bonded - 215 x 2 = 350
[devilfish, decoy launchers]

HEAVY SUPPORT -

Good , i like it, im beginning to see why dizzy likes these so much now..., add decoy launchers to keep it alive and check your adding

TOTAL 1005

Old 30 Dec 2004, 17:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wel, thats good, but maybe no crisis, just stealth dudes and 1 more squad of Fire Warriors to bulk up numbers
Old 30 Dec 2004, 17:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

crisis are good at taking out termies and are very versitile, fast and can take out targets your fire warriors cant see, with the PR, this is an awsome killer of any elite troop/marine...in your elite section you have both stealth and crisis, be pleased! your model count is fine and dont worry you have ebough fire warrirors!
Old 30 Dec 2004, 17:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh, I dina see the x2 for fish squads!

But whont my Fire Wrriors on foot be kinda abandoned?
Old 30 Dec 2004, 18:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

no...not necesserily, if you think about it, if you put them in cover or move them into it on the first turn they can be used a lure for the enemy because they are the only unit he can be sure of nailing in CC as everything else keeps out of his grasp, as he sends out some assault units to this static force they move back" and remain in rapid fire range unitl they are finally swallowed up, you then may ask whats the point in 'giving' the opponent 130 points, well if predictable enemy is a dead enemy, if you can force him to travel in one direction you can then set up crossifres once heis in assault and surround him

Secondly, make use of the static fire warrirors 30" range

Thridly, its up to you but i feel mounting all 3 squads is too expensive and my whole army can be pretty much devastated by three flukey shots.....3 tactical marine squads each w/rocket launchers? odds i dont want to risk myself....
Old 30 Dec 2004, 18:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thats a good pint 42
Old 30 Dec 2004, 18:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

thank you ;D