Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What are Tau weapons made from anyway?
Closed Thread
Old 28 Dec 2004, 11:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Farseer_Del Send a message via MSN to Farseer_Del Send a message via Yahoo to Farseer_Del
Default What are Tau weapons made from anyway?

So, I was painting up a Pulse Rifle, adding the 'battle damage' of scratched paint on the edges revealing metal below and suchlike, when I realised: Are Tau guns even made of metal? Might they be made of Plastic, like many modern firearms outer casings are?

If they ARE made of plastic, they'll be the colour they are, and can't get scratched. if they're metal, they've been painted and can get scratched.

This is a minor query, but one with major ramifications for painting Tau guns any colour other than boltgun metal
Old 28 Dec 2004, 11:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: What are Tau weapons made from anyway?

id say some sort of plastic or some casing thats light. Seeing as the rifle is very big and the tau technology very advanced they would only have the lightest guns possible for their troopers to help them.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 12:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes they are probably made from some sort of plastic, if you look to IA update 2004 there is listed under the armor material unknown, and their vehicles have much thiner armor for same durability than thei imperial equvalents, and have much smaller wight. From this i presume that their main construction material is something similar to plastic.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 12:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

having said that railguns seem an exception. In pictures of them they seem to have no 'plastic' casing and look soli metal, the railrifles are about half and half.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 12:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Kerwynn

well to have a railgun made outta a plastic it would need to have an incredibly high melting point to be able to sustain the large amount of energy produced.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 12:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

i reckon it'd be some high tech metal poly carbonate or something... that sounds high tech
Old 28 Dec 2004, 12:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

hmm, yeh that would suggest maybe its not used for other weaopns such as fusion blasters and plasma rifles that produce large amounts of ehat. Maybe the fact that tau plasmas dont overheat means the casing is special in someway and even though it looks plasticy has a really high melting point?
Old 28 Dec 2004, 15:20   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to CrimsonWraith

The rail guns/rifles have to be a large amount of metal or other highly conductive substance for the rail to work. The rest is pry some substance that humans are to stupid... er... that the tech gods haven't bestowed on the Imperium yet. It could look like whatever you want it to, thats the best part of the Tau, noone knows, so noone can argue.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 15:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also consider that the Tau may use a very strong ceramic for some of their weapons. Pulse rifles/carbines might combine ceramics, plastics, and very little metal; something like the rail rifle might require the heavier, stronger metallic materiels.

I'd say just use whatever seems and looks best!
Old 28 Dec 2004, 18:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

poly carbonates are a good suggestion, maybe compounds like kevlar? or plasteel?(plastic but as strong as steel and as light as plastic? ceramics is possible maybe molecularly bonded w/ plastic for lightness, maybe a plastic similar to Wraithbone?

most likely is multi part. the chamder is probably a metal alloy to reduce chances of heat fracturing the barrel (a light metal) and a platic inner frame w/ ceramic outside for durability? (or maybe just plastic outside)

myself I subscribe to the plastic or ceramic view, I hate the chipped and battle worn appearance on tau, doesnt mesh w/ the high tech feel IMO. dirt yes, chipping no.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread