Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What are some good strategies when facing a versatile space marine army
Closed Thread
Old 27 Dec 2004, 03:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default What are some good strategies when facing a versatile space marine army

obviously since its christmas me and my brother&friend just got a lot of warhammer stuff using our money, and my friend is building an all-situation space marine army, but bends his army towards anti-tau, since thats what I'm being. What would be some good tips on beating his army? It so far has 2 tactical squads, a few dreadnought, a rhino, and a whirlwind or two. Also, he is planning to get a landraider and some terminators. Does anyone have a basic strategy against an army of such sorts? Also, wouldn't that kind of army cost a lot of points? because i know dreadnoughts are expensive, and rhino and landraiders are very expensive, not to put aside the fact that their normal infantry are more expensive then many others. Right now I'm just looking for general tips to beat a balanced space marine army, and also some tips on beating an ork army would be appreciated, as thats what my brother is being.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 27 Dec 2004, 06:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Orion
Default Re: What are some good strategies when facing a versatile space marine army

mad numbers of firewarriors 2 hammerheads and 3 broadsides hammerheads can go tank hunting since they can hover high up in the air above tarrain and blast those pesky enemy tanks. Firewarriors can handle just about everything mabe a squad of pathfinders with railrifles.

"The quiet mouth gets fed last, Ask and you shall recieve"
-Unlimiter-
Old 27 Dec 2004, 07:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: What are some good strategies when facing a versatile space marine army

ok, the secret to beating marines, especially balanced marines is SPEED, this means we must5 eschew some of our firepower for that speed, this style of play is commonly called "shock troops" or "mecha Tau" and relies on the mobile choices in the Tau list. ATM that amount of models is roughly 1000pts and w/ the LR +Termies should be 1500 so I'll make for 1000pts w/ an addon 500pts.

HQ
Shas'o
Fireknife
110pts
This commander gives us what were looking for when playing mobile, speed and filling the HQ slot with an added bonus of killing some marines in the process

Elites
2 Crisis Suits
Fireknife
these are a Tau players freind, first turn they turn their attention on any transportsn and they explode then they promptly go and silence the Whirlwinds. good deal for 130 pts IMO and very versatile as they kill marines w/ equal measure.

2 Crisis Suits
Fireknife
these are a Tau players freind, first turn they turn their attention on any transportsn and they explode then they promptly go and silence the Whirlwinds. good deal for 130 pts IMO and very versatile as they kill marines w/ equal measure.

2 Crisis Suits
TLPR,TL.
marine killers, simple as that, hop into RF range pop some marines, hop behind some cover then rinse and repeat.good for finishing the remains of a FW RF or weakening a Tac Squad to respond well to the FW RF.

as is obvious I've eschewed stealths in favour of more crisis teams as the plasma counts against marines.

Troops

12 FW
Bonded
Shas'ui
Devilfish
220pts
the core of the Shock or mecha army, they provide unparralelled mobility and w/ the marines having there tanks removed they can dictate the flow of battle simply by threatening the attack. the standard procedure is to (after softening up the squad) plonk 2 squads down within 12" of the marines (plonking them behind the Devilfish in relation to the marines) and RF them do death, the remaining marines (if there are any) cannot return charge as the devilfish blocks their charge.

12 FW
Bonded
Shas'ui
Devilfish
220pts

12 FW
Bonded
Shas'ui
Devilfish
220pts

HS
Hammerhead
Railgun
BC
MT
DP
Gun Drones (for the last 20 points)
165pts
the hammerhead needs no introduction ;D, its glorious, it pops any tank it looks at and lays pie plates on marines squads who just cant pass that many saves, glorious.

Hammerhead
Railgun
BC
MT
DP
165pts

TOTAL = 1496

not bad IMO, will kill marines through dictating the flow of battle and lots of plasma ;D

for 1000pts drop : The lesser HH, A FW team, The TL Crisis team.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 27 Dec 2004, 07:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

how would you reccomend playing against a marine army that has many turbo boosting bikes and attack bikes - therefore speed?
Old 27 Dec 2004, 08:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

hmm.... lots of FW in fish, leave the crisis at home and get more FW and HH for the tanks, massed firepowe will make them fail the invunerable saves, also lots of kroot would be good, they have 40 bolter shots to contribute to the dakka and if they hit the bikes theyll swamp them.
go here
Old 27 Dec 2004, 08:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to -Unforgiven-

from the enemy's perspective:

Well...I'm a keen SM player and still sam...I have to say, the one thing...or many things worng with SM's are that they can only take so much...but after that, they are just wasted...SO I suggest krippling the SM's assault trrops, bikes, advancing dreadnoughts, land speeders and rhinos...and rhinos dont cost lots of points...50points + extras...the landraiders however are expensibve...250pts a peice + upgrades...

so the best things to do is to leave the Heavy Support and covering Tact squads until the real threat is gone...You can take a beating for a few turns from the Whirlwinds...but you cant survive when the assaulteres reach your lines...So take out anything that is moving to you and moving close to you the fastest...and dont worry about the immobile things...you can take a beating from bullets and projectiles...but you cant hold off even one squad of Assault marines with 20 FWs...So ELIMINATE everything that is coming near you and fastest. Then gradually work your way back to the Supporting dudes...

Thats what I have to say when you are facing a SM army. I know...I play SMs...

And for orks...just have alot of submunitions with you!

Note: May not lead you to free Gmail
Old 27 Dec 2004, 08:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

...... thats the first principle of tau "shoot what moves the fastest"
go here
Old 27 Dec 2004, 09:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yea...in simple terms...shoot what ever moves the fastest towards you...and dont worry about dividing your fire equally, first fire your Fire Warriors. Until that squad is either dead or non exsistant, then with the reest of your army, shoot the other things...make sure you have atleast 3 large squads of Fire Warriors...and atleast 1 Hammerhead and atleast 2 Broadsides!!!

Old 27 Dec 2004, 09:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

wrong unforgiven, broadsides contradict the way to win vs SMurfs, butn yes the HH is a must ;D
go here
Old 27 Dec 2004, 10:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

oops...sorry...I'm not a Tau player...and I only like Broadsides cause they look cool :P...well...the thing about SM's, trust me...things about Tau, double check it with a Tau player!

Closed Thread