Default tau army...

i want some tiip on what i should buy to my tau army... this is what i have

12 kroots
36firewarriors
2stealthsuits
1 hammerhead
3 battlesuits
14 drones

btw is devilfish whit path finders usefull ???
Old 26 Dec 2004, 12:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf
Default Re: tau army...

Get some more Stealth Suits since you need 3 or more to field them. Also get a Devilfish for one of your Fire Warriors squads. My advice is to wait to get Pathfinders until you got some more experience. It is the most difficult Tau unit to get to work properly. This is my opinion, others may disagree...
Old 26 Dec 2004, 12:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to wurrzag

of course i will get more stealth suits i mean u must have attleast 3 :P but i dont know how to do whit the rest... i mena should i have 1 more hammerhead or should i have broadsides ??? and is the devilfish realy good
Old 26 Dec 2004, 13:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Aun Dolf

The Devilifish is good. It is a quite tough transport to desytoy that easily takes your fire warriors where they are mostly needed to lay down some evil rapid fire.
I reccomend another Hammerhead before going for broadsides and I also reccomend getting an Etheral (I know there will be protests now), especially if you have lots of Fire Warriors on foot.
Old 26 Dec 2004, 14:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ethereals are great... re-rolling saves can stop your guys from running or being pinned in shooting, and it gives you some control over CC

people are going to say that its too easy to lose them and the cost is too great but I've only lost mine about 3 times and by then I had already lost the game anyway...
Old 26 Dec 2004, 15:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to wurrzag

well i have a etheral and i just both a shaper 2 stealth suits and a broad side
Old 26 Dec 2004, 16:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

ouch thats a lot of worthless models

the Etheral is garbage. using him properly cripples your mobility, the broadsides to me are garbage as they also cripple mobility, the Shaper is just a bad upgrade as he costs 3 kroot of points and does jack all. the Stealth were a good buy but myself the most important things would have been
#1 - Devilfish/HH: in the new rules devilfishes have unparralelled usefulness as they add mobility (plonk the FW within 12"and blow trhe sh*t out of stuff ;D) and cvan block the subsequent countercharge w/ proper placement, this is apart from the ususal speed and objective grabbing advantages ;D. the HH can easily be converted toa devilfish and back by not glueing the turret in place thus giving you the ability to feild either against different opponents.
#2 - Kroot: that squad needs to be 20 plain kroot. end of story (140 points is a bargain, 161 is not)
#3 - Crisis commander: just useful and fulfills the HQ Requirement without wasting points that could be spent on more troops.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 26 Dec 2004, 20:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

his force dusnt hav ne sides.....he has obviously got a battleofrce, those battlesuits are crisis! As for the army it does need a bit of balancing -

HQ - Take one of the battlesuits for a Shas'el, leave out the ethereal unitl battles of 1500pts +

TROOPS - You have 3 teams of fire warriors here, all you need now is a devilfish to transport one squad in, as a genereal rule i think one devilfish for every two fire warriror teams is good.

As for kroot they are only effective in squads of 15/6+ so id buy yourself another box and field one big mob of them.

ELITES - Obviously buy 4 more stealth warriors (you dont need to buy the team leader, just paint one model differently to show hes a team leader if you wish to have one) so you have a full team. Then with your other two crisis suits you have one for each elite slot. Consider making each a team leader and giving them 2 gun drones each seeing as you have the models and its a decent upgrade to have if you do have the points.

FAST ATTACK - dont bother with pathfinders till you have a lot more points, seeing as you have the gun drones then you might a squad.

HEAVY SUPPORT - good starting choice - the hammerhead, id buy another if i were you or a couple of broadsides (the hammerhead would be cheaper points and 's wise though!)

oh and one more thing, make sure everyhting is painted, if theres one thing i cant stand (other than someone who cant find a use for broadsides and ethereals! lol j/k) its playing against armies that are grey or silver.....they should invent a SM chapter you are jsut plain grey, you see so many beginner SM players with unpainted stuff, half the fun is in modelling and painting , anyway i must stop ranting!

Old 26 Dec 2004, 20:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

dude, he didnt ask for a list..... if he wanted one he would've asked for it ;D

he asked what to buy and if you'd read you'd have seen that by the time i got here he'd bought the stuff, :
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 26 Dec 2004, 20:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

(cringes) sorry DZG, i only read his first post and your reply....but my list was there just to help as how to build/collect a small but balanced tau army. Shapers? argh, 1 broadside on its own isnt very good as well (not to mention expensive )! eeek, im sorry to say it but you should have listen to peoples advice before buying all that sutff, oh well, i hope you find a way to incorporate it into your army so it still works well, hope you followed the tip about painting too!!