Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help on a 2000-point army
Closed Thread
Old 24 Dec 2004, 19:45   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Help on a 2000-point army

Help on a 2000-point army

I have developed a 2000-point army based on what I have, this is basically my entire Tau force save some Kroot and odd troops here and there.

I like this army however I am wondering how it would cope in a battle. So I would like to ask you people at this receptive forum (I have look around and found some very interesting subjects) for help in analysing my list.

Some points before hand.

First the 2 main armies I fight are

Elder: this player plays Elei… something,, they are the yellow Elder with the dead people in suits. Any way he has a wraith guard unit of 5, quite a few banshees, 1 Falcon with fire prism, a wrath lord, lots of warlock with evil that guide and that invulnerable thing (apologies I no not Elder very well) some … dire avengers I think the ones this range 48 and AP3 and apart from that troops. Ok I don’t know a lot about what he has but he is that’s is the best I can do from him.

Orks: Not a special type of Ork army pretty bock standard but he has converted it very well looks cool. So he has killer cans 3, hyped up boss and company in custom battlewagon, Orks, a bit more Orks, Bikes and some Gretchen and some other things to.

The list:

HQ

Aun’ Shi –105

Shas’o
plasma rifle, missile pod, shield generator, hw drone controller, 2 gun drones, multi tracker –157

ELITE

6 XV15 Stealth suits
Shas,Vre 2 gun drones-210

3 XV8 Crisis Battle suits
Bonded, 2 shas,ui have: twin linked plasma rifles, missile pods
1 Shas’Vre has: hw drone controller, 2 gun drones plasma rifle, missile pod, multi traker,-243

1 Shas’Vre has: hw drone controller, 2 gun drones plasma rifle, missile pod, multi traker,-243

TROOPS

12 Fire Warriors Bonded, 1 shas’ui, Hw Drone controller, 2 drones-162

6 Fire Warriors-60

6 Fire Warriors-60

Fast Attack

8 Pathfinders
1 shas’ui, 3 rail rifles, Devil fish (multi tracker, targeting array)-231

Heavy Support

Hammer Head Gunship
Rail Cannon, Missile system, Target Lock, Multi tracker-175

2 xv-88 Broadsides Battle Suits
Multi tracker, smart missile system, team leader, hw drone controller 2 gun drones-177

Multi tracker, smart missile system, team leader, hw drone controller 2 gun drones-177

Which adds up to a nice 2000 points

My friends let me us special charters and I let them. The army is not very mobile however but that does fits with the background that has been building up between the games I have been playing. The army is basically a excavation team working with the Foi cast on different plants so don’t rapidly redeployed that often only to fight Ork raids, until we uncovered some crystals that the Elder want back.

I am thinking of buying some D fish’s and hammer heads with the new forge world up grades that are pretty cool. I don’t use my Kroot much as they don’t fit in with the army that much and I like to keep an army in character and only have what I like, however if I am loses all the time (or they keep showing of that there army is invincible) I will change a army to win and try rise my self a steam.

Any way any help would be greatly obliging

thanks Balor
Old 24 Dec 2004, 20:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: Help on a 2000-point army

take out aun'shi! i dont see peoples obsession with him! if you want an ethereal take anormal one and save yourself some points

Shas'o, take out the shield generator then your pretty much fine (gun drones arent really too essential either)

elites are good, maybe few too many crisis suits, take 2 in each squad instead to save more points ...

...because you are going to need them to make your troops better! no offence but this is avery very bad troops sction, fire warriors win tau games, not suits and railguns - pulse rifles. Take 4 12 man squads at least and make sure at least half are mounted in devilfishes, this is the only way to play tau!

pathfinders - i personally wouldnt include them in a 2000pt army, they will be useless against orks but effective at taking out wraithgaurd (railrifles that is)

heavy support - take 2 HH's and make one squad of broadsides instead, consider taking one of the hammerheads with an ion cannon against eldar, both with railguns for the pie plates against orks. Actually agaisnt orks, better go with 3 HH's if you have the models, those pie plates will work wonders! If you decide you want forge world upgrades take plasma canons instead of ion cannon for one of the hammerheads, will crack open eldars most eilte troops and orks in (mega?) heavy armour.

Old 24 Dec 2004, 20:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Thats a very nice list. Though I would drop the bonding and some of the drone controllers to get another 12 man FCW team in there and make the two 6 man teams one 12 man team. Also to save points make Aun'Shi a normal Etherial and give him an honour blade if ya want.

Other than that I think thats an awesome list.

Old 24 Dec 2004, 22:08   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to BizzB

I would make your Shas'o a IC,you will probly have your Stealth suits closer to the enermy so he can never be shot at then.
And i would scrap at least one Broadside team for another hammerhead.Faster and would probly survive more.
Old 25 Dec 2004, 16:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Ok, 42, dont go mad, FW wont win all games on their own (particularly marines, but you didnt mention marines ;D) this gives me a nice break from marine lists. for this we can actually afford to compromise the mobility a little.
while passable I see eome majour problems w/ this list.

HQ

Aun’ Shi –105
Begone, thou art crap!! +105

Shas’o
plasma rifle, missile pod, shield generator, hw drone controller, 2 gun drones, multi tracker –157 +157
ok, this HQ aint gonna be worth its points vs. the armys stated. drop it.

ELITE
6 XV15 Stealth suits
Shas,Vre 2 gun drones-210
minor tweaks needed, drop the drones and shas'vre as neither opponent is likely to fail the test. +210

1 Shas’Vre has: hw drone controller, 2 gun drones plasma rifle, missile pod, multi traker,-243 +143
odd config for these enemies, Fireknife will serve you better here, its actually perfect for these enemies ;D

1 Shas’Vre has: hw drone controller, 2 gun drones plasma rifle, missile pod, multi traker,-243 +243
drop these as 2 suit squads wont be neccecary

TROOPS

12 Fire Warriors Bonded, 1 shas’ui, Hw Drone controller, 2 drones-162 +162
niggles here so drop it and get it again later

6 Fire Warriors-60

6 Fire Warriors-60
drop both as minimised squads wont do jack +120

Fast Attack

8 Pathfinders
1 shas’ui, 3 rail rifles, Devil fish (multi tracker, targeting array)-231 +231
not the best choice for these opponents

Heavy Support

Hammer Head Gunship
Rail Cannon, Missile system, Target Lock, Multi tracker-175 +15
drop the missiles and TL

drop one as the only thing they'll do is kill the 'Lords, remove drones and add another suit to the other +244

which leaves us w/ 1630 points to spend. going through the list peice by peice......

HQ,
Shas'el
Fireknife
110pts
he really isnt here for anything useful expet essentially giving a 4 man crisis team.

Elites
6 Stealh Suits
Bonded
190pts
the ultimate in anti ork warfare, same fire rate as normal FW but w/ the ability to skim the edges of large mobs and harass them while slowly whittling them down.

3 Stealth Suits
same

3 Crisis Suits
Bonded
Fireknife
205pts
these can pop Trukks against orks before peppering mobs and against Eldar their plasma will negate the saves of the Wraithguard making them much easier to kill, watch wether you come too close or expose though as the wraithcannon is lethal inside 12"

Troops
12xFW
Bonded
Shas'u
140pts
the bread and butter, able to force nmass saves vs wrathguard and kill orks in swathes.

12xFW
Bonded
Shas'u
140pts
same

20XKroot
these are bodyguards for the FW and Broadsides the FW will deploy on either side of the BS and the Kroot on the front, when the enemy makes it close to the line, the FW will retreat and the Kroot will charge to occupy the enemy long enough for the FW to get out of charge range (and hopefully put those 60 attacks to use ;D) while the BS continue to kill 'Lords or mega arnmour/whatnot.

12XFW
Bonded
Shas'ui
Devilfish
220pts
These Squads are lethal to ork mobs that have been in coordination w/ the stealths weakened by the burst cannojns on the stealths and the 'fish, the FW then deploy and unload RF death finishing off the squad, easily able to pick off small mobs w/ little assistance.

12XFW
Bonded
Shas'ui
Devilfish
220pts
same

Heavy Support

Hammer Head Gunship
Railgun, BC, MT,DP
165pts
death to the orks and kill Wraithguard/lord quite well w/ the solid shot.

Hammer Head Gunship
Railgun, BC, MT,DP
165pts
same

3 Broadsides
210pts
these were included to add more Lord killing solid shots and can use the SMS against orks.

rough suggestion is deploy the firebase in the middle or on the wekest flank (make the strong one come to you) and put the mobile units down as feints so they can draw troops off in deployment and then fly off to where they are needed. the crisis hunt Wraithguard vs Eldar and the vehicles vs orks, while the FW and Stealths are obvious.

this is designed to fight both lists equally and plays on the weknesses of both (lack of mobility) while solidifying your own (mobility/Dakka)

have a nice day ;D
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 25 Dec 2004, 20:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Broadsides? in a dizzygamer army list? (rubs eyes) maybe ive ate a bit too much and am seeing things! lol, maybe you have on that note! Nice list btw, hope everyone is having a good christmas!
Old 26 Dec 2004, 07:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

merry christmas to you too.

and I put 'Sides in as the list needed to be able to kill the lords and any tanks so it could outmaneuver the Guard. 3 HH could do it but the unit count would be so low (having to mount almost everything) that it would be a real challenge vs Orks, I'm not happy about it but its a neccecary Evil. ;D
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread