Old 23 Dec 2004, 21:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default My guide to Tau for the greater good... part II

Well i said wait for the next installment, so here it is, subtitled -

"the weapons that will cause your opponents hell!"

Weapons

Pulse Rifle -

The fire warrirors standard weapon, in fact they are the only unit which can carry these! Easily the best standard weapon in the game, outranges most normal troops weapons so with pulse rifles you will always get an advantage if you just let your fire warriors sit back and shoot! (dont use all of them this way though!) With the 4th ed rules on rapid fire benefitting mechanised fire warrior units (24 shots jumpiong out of a devilfiish, even marines have to fail some save..!) these weapons really come into play. Toally awsome, loving them!

Pulse Carbine -

The standard weapon of the pathfinder and a fire warrior upgrade as well. Basically the same as a rifle yet less range and pinning test. Since in a fire warrior squad and pathfinder squads the number of actual casulaties caused by this weapon is going to be few then i do not really rate the fact that it can pin, furthermore i would rather my enemy ran off the table and broke rather then stood still! In third ed rules these would be excellent for moutned fire warrior squads but as already detailed, have no use anymore in static (loss of range) or mobile (loss of volume of shots) fire warrior squads

Burst Cannon-

A weapon not to be underestimated, can be carryed by both vehicle and battlesuits and will causes damage based on its high volume of fire, in my opinion works best with stealth teams, understandably deadly against foes with 5+ armours saves or worse but even against power armour the volume fo shots means marines have to fail saves.....have to...! The reduced 18" range istn too much of a problem because most of the carryers can move back after shooting and are fast enough to stay out of assault. Finally, for the price can be a grweat cheap weapon to take whcih can cause problems to even power armour wearers.

Rail Rifle -

The sniper rifle of the tau, an awsome weapon on its own and should only be used on troops with 3+ armour saves, anything more or less is a waste on this weapon. The range is such that you shoudl not need to move to get into position, which stuis the fact it is heavy and used in conjunction with another heavy weaopn (markerlight). Take as many of these as you can and set out a particular unit to traget with markerlights and rifle shots before the battle (if possible), these will not let you down if used right.

Markerlight -

Dont use these for railguns, broadisdes are twin linked and HH's hit on a 3+ so its a bit of a waste, either use seeker missiles from markerlights to reach obscure targets/light tanks or use them to guide the railrifles from another squad (makeing them effectivly snipers), if used with the railrifles this works best with two squads, one markerlighting for the other. Markerlight and Rail rifle simply go together like magnet and steel (max and paddy anyone!)

Fusion Blaster -

Many people will turn these weapons down due to their small rnage and only one shot. On normal crisis suits i agree, poitns and hardpoints are better spent, but for a commander i always take one of these. Not for tanks, railguns are MADE for that duty, but to take out characters, a high bs on a commander will ensure a hit most of the time and then the strength of the weapon is usually double toughness, (at least for most space marine characters!) so thats instant death for a scary, overpriced and upgraded chaplain and force commander, all for just 12 pts? worth it on a commander only.

Plasma Rifle -

Ahh i could just take these home and cuddle them all day (dont worry im not wierd), negating all saves (TERMIES, OBLITERATORS) in particular. Try to use these against troops with 3+ or 2+ saves to get the best out of the weapon, and also go 12" to the enemy, unleash some nasty rapid fire shooting, then pop back again with crisis suits. If your going to depend on these with crisis suits they should be twin linked and are absolutly deadly in rapid fire range, (3 crisis utis with TLPR, 6 termie killing shots!). Always equip crisis suits with these where possible and you WILL be rewarded. Praise tau technology!

Missile Pod -

I find these excellent aspect warrior killers myself, a decent rate of fire means i will never twin link these guys. My anti armour weapons come from railguns so missile pods go to high toughness troops, although the AP isnt great against marines, it just works fine against eldar banshees, fire dragins etc. With a very good range they can touch most things in your enemies army and you will be pleased with their effect if the enemies army is right (most are!) Also works great with lightly armoured vehicles that your rialguns would jsut be overkill on and better saved for bigger target, they make excellent rhino poppers and land speeders/vypers etc. (thanks to dizzygamer for that last sentance!)

Flamer -

Good it city fight, i never use this myself as i fear for my crisis suit being charged and i dont play many lightly armoured troops anyway. Too common a weapon to go on a crisis weapon for my liking, but if you play orks/gaurd/nids then you might find this useful to you, howver in my opinion its no surprise why these are the least commonly used crisis weapon!

Railgun (solid shot) -

In one word (well hyphenated counts!) - anti-armour. All tanks beware the railgun is made for ripping through armour of any tank. Its range will reach anyone, and all glancing hits will become penetrating also! Used best on broadsides in my opnion, could be 3 tanks dead per turn! (most of my opponents arent stupid enough to field many tnaks against a tau army!)

Railgun (submunitions aka pie plate) -

When all armored targets are gone the hammerhead should be using this every go. It will kill more marines than an ion cannon per turn and will tear up anything not in power armour or better. Doesnt suffer from scattering as other ordanance weapons so IMO an awsome weapon to cause chaos with.

Ion Cannon -

Great marines killer obviously but also great against any army, almost every army will have some form of elite troop with 3+ saves that will just be knocked out with this baby, will work well with a markerlight too to ensure (almost), 2-3 dead marines/wraithgaurd/bikes per turn, if you have more than one hammerhead than this is worth a go.

Other hammerhead turret options - this is already being discussed in another thread, i may go into detial in another post but to keep it simple the best option here is plasma rifles, take them over ion cannons but not railguns.

Smart Missiles -

Good like burst cannos for the volume of fire, a better range and needing no LOS is just a bonus! Only used when stationary (except on a tank that is), if you have the points to buy a multitracker for sides or the SMS for a hammeread you will notice the difference but to be honest 10pts less for 2 birst cannon on a HH is almsot as good, these weapons are nice, but their are cheaper options which do almost as good.

Kroot Rifle -

This will give most troops their save except gaunts but for a 7pt troop this is a very nice gun, decent strength, decent range, and in rapid fire thats 40 shots on 1 squad? then it also doubles up as an additional close comabt weapon? not bad at all for a 7pt troop.

Kroot Gun -

Look at the proflile and points cost of a krootox and you will understand why noone uses this. The weapon is basically a missile pod with a worse rate of fire and becuase its not an assault weapon doesnt work well on a unit which i see as an asault unit. This weapon doesnt merit much of an entry.

Seeker Missile -

If your rail rifle gunners want to take a break and you have 10pts free than these are greater strength railrifles, use them on tanks which you cannot see or troops which you can instant kill (use high toughness weapons to the best of their ability), also becase this is 1 shot, use it on 3+ armour save troops (or tanks) and ntohing else, anyhting else would be a waste of points for what you bought it.

So brings to an end part 2 /? As you can see i put a fair bit pf emphasis on using the weapon appropraitely, use it to its strnegths and profiles. Before a battle look over your oppoents army and see which weapon would be most effecient agaisnt which unit, efficiency is key in a tau army, (well in most armies to be true!)

I have had fun writing this and i hope anyone who cares to read will enjoy and appreciate this guide too, thanks for reading and happing shooting for the greater good. I will be posting at least 2 more mammoth posts (!, i kinda enjoy it!) on wargear and tactics....so stay posting on the tau messgae boards

42, for the greater good...
Old 23 Dec 2004, 21:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: My guide to Tau for the greater good... part II

What are the rules for rail rifles or where can I find them? Cause they are not in the codex and I should know more about them since I play Tau.

Old 23 Dec 2004, 22:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Cheers mate, i dont post for the karma (although i wouldnt turn any down ! j/k ;D), im just happy to share my tactics and everything thats in my head about tau, dont forget ive only been playing warhammer a year so my knowledge and experience is limited, ut i do have a lot of ideas and stuff in my head to type down...belive me there is more to come!
Old 23 Dec 2004, 22:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

they are in a white dwarf (285 rings a bell for sum reason?) and also chapter approved 2004, try and borrow either of those of a mate ro something as i cant tell you them here, basically a toned down railgun for pathfinders.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 22:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Chapter approved eh? Then its probably downloadable. Ill go take a looksie.

Old 23 Dec 2004, 22:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

nah i dont think so mate...its not on the games workshop website i know that, might have been one time.....
Old 23 Dec 2004, 22:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

RR are in a WD (forget the no). and in chapter approved, not DL able

very nice, although one niggle, MP's make exellent rhino poppers (and lots of other transports) and they have saved me from the mechanised horde of doom many a time (3's to glance a rhino? sure)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 23 Dec 2004, 22:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

done!, even got your name into it!
Old 23 Dec 2004, 22:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

thanks for that ;D, even I like shameless attention .

not to niggle but the twin pathfinder tactic is uber expensive.

I respect your effort in compiling this, Ive wanted to but cant find the time on holiday so maybe I'll have something for you to read in the near future
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 23 Dec 2004, 22:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

i think ive already touched upon the pathfinder tactic in my first post, maybe not, if not ill talk about it when a cover tactics.... one thing i will say/already have said though is that this tactic only works best in twos and therefore only in battles of 2000pts and over.