Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranhas and drones
Old 03 Sep 2006, 22:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Piranhas and drones

Has there been an official ruling for what happens when drones disembark from piranhas? Do they form one large unit, or several smaller units of two? Furthermore, does a markerlight benefit a piranha and its drones (as long as the drones are still mounted)?

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2006, 22:32   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Piranha's and drones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwing
Has there been an official ruling for what happens when drones disembark from piranhas? Do they form one large unit, or several smaller units of two? Furthermore, does a markerlight benefit a piranha and its drones (as long as the drones are still mounted)?
We have had no official ruling on the first, nor do we know what happens to the other drones in the squadron when one Piranha in a squadron goes down or is penetrated. My current house ruling on it is that all the drones disembark at the same time, forming one non-scoring unit, but only when the disembarkation is voluntary. If involuntary, the drones can end up split into smaller units.

As for the second question, I would say that the Markerlight benefits both. The specific text mentions that the drones fire as part of the vehicles, although they use their own BS. This means that they benefit from Markerlights, but they can not split fire without a Target Lock on the vehicle.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2006, 23:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks a ton for your quick response. I have another question, however.

Is there an official ruling as to what happens if one of the piranha's gets immobilized or otherwised is forced to stop moving? As in, can it be left behind, or is the entire unit stopped?

Radix malorum est cupiditas.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2006, 00:13   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwing
Thanks a ton for your quick response. I have another question, however.

Is there an official ruling as to what happens if one of the piranha's gets immobilized or otherwised is forced to stop moving? As in, can it be left behind, or is the entire unit stopped?
Ah, this one I do have an answer for. The relevant passage is on page 73 of the main rulebook. Basically, the rest of the squadron has to choose to either remain within coherency of the stopped vehicle or else abandon it, in which case the stopped vehicle counts as destroyed.
Old 04 Sep 2006, 03:12   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Pg. 31 of the Tau Empires Codex says "All Gun drones in a Piranha squad must disembark at the same time, forming one unit," but this leads to some fun coherency issues, and doesn't address the emergency disembarkation at all.

I agree with Khanaris on all of his above points. However, I'm sketchy on whether a vehicle squadron can "circle" around a stunned skimmer, moving over 6" individually but still remaining within 4" of the stunned vehicle. The infantry movement rules state that a unit must move at the speed of its slowest model, but the vehicle squadron movement section doesn't have a corollary passage. It just says they can either "remain within 4" or abandon the stunned/immobilized vehicle," not whether they can move while remaining within 4" or not.
Malphax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2006, 03:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

They took away the "move in a circle for more than 6" rule". In 3rd many players used that and got their skimmer out of harms way very easily, however now that loophole is gone.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2006, 10:47   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well, I didn't mean to actually move in a circle, but to circle around the stunned vehicle.

If your mobile skimmer is 4" away from the stunned one, you can move 7" directly across it, and voila! You're still within unit coherency, you haven't abandoned your wingman, and you've moved over 6". It's damage mitigation.
Malphax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2006, 12:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malphax
Pg. 31 of the Tau Empires Codex says "All Gun drones in a Piranha squad must disembark at the same time, forming one unit," but this leads to some fun coherency issues, and doesn't address the emergency disembarkation at all.
This is definitely true. And it could possibly be argued that if any drones are forced to disembark then all must, or, leave the disembarked drones behind (counts as destroyed?).

Which is not to say this comes close to a definititve ruling either, just an alternative house rule if you are feeling a little stricter.

Best,
Gram
Old 04 Sep 2006, 20:00   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malphax
Well, I didn't mean to actually move in a circle, but to circle around the stunned vehicle.

If your mobile skimmer is 4" away from the stunned one, you can move 7" directly across it, and voila! You're still within unit coherency, you haven't abandoned your wingman, and you've moved over 6". It's damage mitigation.
This is correct. And because only one vehicle absolutely needs to be within 4", the other Piranhas can sweep out much further, as long as the squadron as a whole remains in coherency.
Old 05 Sep 2006, 17:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That's how I keep em moving forward and keep em alive after one gets stunned.