Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadsides vs Firewarriors As a Static Fire Base
Closed Thread
Old 23 Dec 2004, 00:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Broadsides vs Firewarriors As a Static Fire Base

I was trying to work through the numbers to see if broadsides came out ahead of firewarriors in terms of their skills as a static fire base.* That is, an unmoving mass of firepower to destroy the enemy and deny them melee or melee range.

These numbers come from calculations assuming a squad of 8 SM's and bolter fire not in rapid fire range, as that would put them within melee range and we just don't want that.

Offense:
Basic FW Squad:
120 points
12 shots / round
1.33 dead marines / round

Basic Broadside squad w/multi tracker
225 points
15 shots / round
3.21 dead marines / round

Defense:
Basic FW squad:
1.78 dead tau / round
6.74 rounds / squad

Basic Broadside squad:
0.22 dead tau / round
13.63 rounds / squad

By the numbers, broadsides come out ahead.* They will not only kill twice as many marines per round, they'll also as a squad last twice as long for under twice the price.* Just the SMS makes 3 broadsides dish out the same number of shots as 12 firewarriors, then the twin linked railguns kick it up a notch, pretty much guaranteeing 2 kills per round just from them.* Now there are a few things that can't really be plugged easily into calculations like this, that can affect the outcome of a real fight.

FW:
- 6" range advantage over the majority of broadside shots
- yummy rapid fire goodness
- can actually move and not be useless
- more likely to break than be destroyed

Broadsides:
- can take out *anything*
- main gun has over twice the range of a pulse rifle
- SMS doesn't need LOS
- much more of a fire magnet
- can't move at all
- much better at melee
- beardy factor in taking lots of full broadside squads
- markerlights are much more effective due to smaller number of models

So looking at this, overall I think taking a team or two of broadsides would form a perfectly fine replacement for firewarriors as a static firebase.* It provide just too tempting a target for an opponent to ignore while your now free fire warriors zip around in their devilfishies laying waste to their troops.

If anybody is interested in how I got all these numbers, I made up a lil spreadsheet in Appleworks that I can e-mail out if anyone is interested.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 00:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Broadsides vs Firewarriors As a Static Fire Base

The broadside is more effective yes but it cannot keep up with a mobile army. IT will have the distance closed and be destroyed where a unit of FCWs can hit and run.

But in a straight out firefight broadsides come ahead yes. But how often do you have a straight up firefight?

Old 23 Dec 2004, 01:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

It'd say broadsides would be better in terms of a static firebase.. because it has the firepower to deal with anything at long range.. and to deal with anything it can't see that gets too close.. and in the event that they get too close.. they still do pretty good in combat as opposed to firewarriors.. add to that a great armour save and 75% hit rate [for the railguns and 50% for sms] (compared to firewarriors 50%)..

All that aside though, it depends on what you want your firebase to do.. if its for taking down troops, more firewarriors would be better, because for the same cost as the broadsides squad you can get around 22 Fw and dish out more shots..

If you want to take out heavier targets - medium infantry to heavy tanks etc.. broadsides would be better obviously..

IMO though, for a static firebase, you need more then just a squad, probably a squad or two of FW and a squad of Broadsides, and you put that somewhere where you have clear LOS and as little terrain nearby as possible..
Old 23 Dec 2004, 07:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

IMO the 2 squads of FW are better anyday.
first they can move if the enemy gets too close (broadsides may stay and fight but we run and life to fire another turn ;D so effectively FW are better for tactics as its harder to deny them LOS (really easy to negate 'Sides striking power by leading them around.

second the FW kill troops better, tanks should have died long before they get to the lines (good old HH) and none of this hiding behind the math we all know 24 FW will kill more marines than 3 broadsides, not mentioning the fact that to get to the FW they have to be in RF range for a turn (or more if you fly over a spare fish to block charge), against termies then I'd chose the guaranteed kills of the sides (but morelikely i'd just take TLPR ).

third one squad of 'sides is not an adequate Firebase (theyll be killed in a heartbeat) so you need a fsquad of FW aswell however the FW purchase kroot, now the odds are definitely in the FW favour as they have a good chance of surviving a charge thanks to the kroots countercharge.

so the FW are more FLEXIBLE thats what wins games, being able to take advantage of opportunities, raw firepowe alone very rarely defeats armies.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 23 Dec 2004, 18:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

seeing as this quetion is specifically a STATIC fire base then sticking two units of fire warriors, and a unit of sides in cover makes them a great fire base, able to take out transports and high toughness/save troops that come their way as well as being able to lay down a huge volume of fire. In bigger points battles consider adding two units of pathfinders, each with three rail rifles for an even better base, just make sure evrything else is mobile though to keep enough points safe to harrass the opponent into taking the bait and assaulting the static firebase, meantime the mobile suits/fishes/hh's surround them and mop up any survivors.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 19:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

the point is moot as a static firebase is a bad idea,semi static (can actually walk if it needs to ;D) is better as it can slowly retreat, giving a few more turns of firing before the enemy hit the lines.
go here
Old 23 Dec 2004, 20:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

go with FW's if you have to choose otherwise go with both . They work very well together ,the broadsides have the reach and the FW's are great at giving general support fire where needed.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 20:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

IMO they dont. as if the FW want to move the 'Sides cant come with without losing their shooting.
go here
Old 23 Dec 2004, 20:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

the broadsides shouldnt need to move if you have deployed them well or taken 1 turn to get them into cover with an excellent range of fire. Plus, if you upgrade them to carry twin linked plasma rifles.....theyre not too bad!
Old 23 Dec 2004, 20:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

more plasma is more points though, which add more of the competing troop type (FW).

and also, you cannot always assume perfect deployment is possible , there may be mo convenient soft cover or too little for the whole squad in one wood. also, what happens when the enemy get to 18"or even 14" you gonna stand there? I hope not. ;D
go here
Closed Thread