Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Monats, drones, morale (and IC status)
Old 28 Aug 2006, 12:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Monats, drones, morale (and IC status)

Monats with drones must have to make morale checks if the drones are lost, but do they make last man standing tests?

Best,
Gram
Old 28 Aug 2006, 13:15   #2 (permalink)
ndj
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Monats, drones, morale

Hi,

It is my understanding that drones now count in the unit's model number for Moral purposes, thus the moral check.
As such, it seems that the drones' death would force a 'Last Man Standing' test each turn.

Meaning that a true Monat does not include drones...

my 2cts

ndj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2006, 13:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

no they do not make morale tests for the drones, because it says in the codex that the leadership test for non drone models
so a 12 man fw w/ 2 drones squad would only make a ld test if they lost 3 fw and both drones in 1 shooting phase

and monats never take ld tests, as it says in the codex they are used to operating alone.
dragoniccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2006, 13:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm not convinced either of you are right. Where does it say that in the codex? I'll look at it first.

Drones do count towards unit morale.

A monat can't make a test, because it can't lose 25% from shooting. It can just be alive or dead. Add the drones, and it can lose 25%. But monats who lose a wound in CC without inflicting any damage of their own have to make a test or fall back. They aren't immune to morale.

Also, the wording for the "Vectored Retro Thrusters" suggests monats are still monats, even with drones, because there it says the upgrade can only be taken by "monats without drones," implying that monats with drones are possible.

So the question purely concerns last man standing tests.

I'm thinking they don't have to, just as independant characters keep all there IC characteristics even with drones.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 13:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoniccam
no they do not make morale tests for the drones, because it says in the codex that the leadership test for non drone models
so a 12 man fw w/ 2 drones squad would only make a ld test if they lost 3 fw and both drones in 1 shooting phase

and monats never take ld tests, as it says in the codex they are used to operating alone.
This is completely incorrect, Dragon. You're only a true Monat if you start as a lone model. Drones require the 25 percent casualty tests as normal, and if they're destroyed, you take Last Man Standing. It's in the codex. Read yours again.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2006, 13:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Where in the codex, I can't find it.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 13:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Try looking in the section where the drone stats are in the sidebar. I believe it's there.

As for last man standing - it's not in our codex - it's in the basic rulebook. The rules apply to any unit that doesn't start as a lone model. When you take drones, you're obviously not a lone model to start.
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2006, 13:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'll look at the drone rules, but I already know how they apply to morale.

I don't think it's quite as cut and dry as you think. What's you opinion on independant characters and drones? Do they make last man standing tests? Afterall, there is nothing to say they do, and whereas the rules for bodyguards specifically state that a character reverts if the retinue is lost, drones definitely don't count as a retinue. An IC is an IC, regardless.

A monat is a monat?

Monats never make last man standing tests, and the drone rules don't state that drones affect this status, only that they effect fall back.

This is all for discussion, I don't hold an opinion, but it seems to me that if drones don't allow independant characters to act as scoring units then they cannot cause monats to take LMS tests, they are just wargear.

NB: see my point above about monats with drones still counting as monats in the codex, under "vectored retro thrusters." Only monats without drones may have these.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 14:12   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yeah, the rulebook only free units that start as a single model from LMS tests. So a single Battlesuit with drones has to take the tests. Another reason why taking gun drones for Battlesuits is usually a mistake. GW could have done a little more for us on this one.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2006, 14:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I see a consensus forming, but why, then, do you suppose, do the rules for vectored retro thrusters seem to say that monats with drones are still called monats?

In any case, monats with drones are, it seems, not a single model.