Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hit and Run on the Commander?
Closed Thread
Old 28 Aug 2006, 05:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to wind777
Default Hit and Run on the Commander?

Any1 use this? I have not seen 1 person that has used it. Saw Iradian Armor used today for the first time. But what about hit and run? Is it any good? Also do you run before the other enemy attack or after? You do it after he attacks you and you live and pass a leadership test right?
Old 28 Aug 2006, 05:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Hit and Run on the Commander?

i imagine very few people use "iridium" armour because it limits the movement of the unit its on yeah its a 2+ save but you dont need it if they cant hit you. The whole point of the hit and run (JSJ) is that you shoot them but thy cant hit you. In the movement phase you jump from behind a rock, shoot in the shotting phase, then in the assault you jump back behind the rock so they can never shoot you at all. And yes JSJ is great, as long as you dont fight indirect weapons, because they cant hit you at all so you dont need the 2+.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 05:31   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaruTal
i imagine very few people use "iridium" armour because it limits the movement of the unit its on yeah its a 2+ save but you dont need it if they cant hit you. The whole point of the hit and run (JSJ) is that you shoot them but thy cant hit you. In the movement phase you jump from behind a rock, shoot in the shotting phase, then in the assault you jump back behind the rock so they can never shoot you at all. And yes JSJ is great, as long as you dont fight indirect weapons, because they cant hit you at all so you dont need the 2+.
I'm fairly sure he's talking about the Vectored Retro Thrusters, which grant a single XV8 the "Hit and Run" special rule. To answer the original question, I've been considering putting the VRTs on my Shas'o for awhile, and he uses Iridium armour already, as a way of blocking some of the bigger close combat hitters before they get to my vulnerable lines. It'd be expensive, but he's outfitted at Tank/Terminator hunter right now and is more than making his points back.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 05:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Actualy, i belive he is talking about vectored retro thrusters, which can be very useful.

the only drawback is they take up a hard point and you can't use it with sheild drones. otherwise it is damn useful as long as whoever charges the commander doesn't whipe him out in the first or second rounds of combat. Also, it allows you to tie up units which are good at shooting in close combat, then jumping out and shooting them, rince and repeat. Very powerful!

Lastly and very risky, you could use it to ninja your shaso all over the board, sweep through ranks of guardsmen and blow up their tanks with a fusion blaster and missle pod! You could realy move whipping fast! A possibility would be to combo VRT and irridium too maximize his close combat durability and at this point you probobly want him to be a shaso!

so in short, in the propper setup it could be very powerful, or completly useless, cause remember he will never truly be good at close combat, just being a ninja shaso/cowardly git!!!
Old 28 Aug 2006, 06:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

oh i forgot about the VRT oops i thought he was just talking about the JSJ suits do. My bad. I can see how iridium and VRT could work together, give him those plus a fusion, PR, HW Multi and it could take down most anything with little fear of retaliation. I may try that in the future, deepstirke behind his tanks and be tough enough to get out in one piece.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 06:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, the real beauty is all the extra movement you would get. basicly you get to move 5 times in two turns! too bad he can't be a scoring unit!
Old 28 Aug 2006, 06:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Question, can you actually put the VRT on the commander, give him shield drones, get in hand to hand, and when they die then use the VRT's ability?

Or is VRT not even equipable if you have drones?
Old 28 Aug 2006, 06:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

I use mine with a PR and a CIB (well, that's what I used against necrons last game, which I won), with the VRT. What I do is charge a group of warriors, then, when his assault phase rolls around, announce that I will be using the rule. Then, I disengage, and move back into assault range, Rapid fire the PR and fire the CIB, and charge again. It keeps him away from the guns, and kills loads of warriors. I will probably end up putting on the Iridium Armor some time, just to try it out.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Old 28 Aug 2006, 19:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I've been wondering for a long time about a simple Shas'vre, with twin-linked flamers, Retro thrusters and irradium armour, which comes to 71 pts. Cheaper than most Fire Warrior units.

This monat could take the place of kroot as a speed bump. The reduced movement would not be a great disadvantage.

At first position it in front of the firiing line. Move up and flame anything that comes cloes, then charge and engage. Repeat as required.

A cheap, short-range fortress for holding off any pesky hoards. I've yet to try it though so many ideas, but relatively few games.

Best,
Gram
Old 28 Aug 2006, 21:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Reduced movement is something you WOULDN"T want with flamers.

I find that Ninja Shas'os are pretty risky. They either die horribliby or make up twice their points worth. I wouldn't gamble 100+ pionts for that.
Closed Thread