Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hybrid Tau
Closed Thread
Old 27 Aug 2006, 20:21   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Hybrid Tau

Ive been playing tau for awhile now and I'm tyring to prefect my army list. I'm tyring to make a hybrid force but am having some problems.
1. Firewarriors: Now I have 3 squads of fire warriors (but will have more soon) 1 squad is in a fish and the rest have rifles. For my next squads should I bring more men with rifles and fish or bring a squad of carbines? Also how many FWs do you think is enough
2.Vespid: Ive been wondering if I should use vespid. I know that they have SM killing power but the fact that they are so fragile and a bit pricey keeps me away from them. Do they fit well in a hybrid list?
3. Ethereal: Right now I'm using one but it hasn't seemed to do much and I was thinking out cutting it out. Any thoughts?
Old 27 Aug 2006, 20:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Hybrid Tau

well, just start by taking it out, and if you're failing more morale than you should like then you'll know about the aun.

about the FW, i usually use 3 full squads when playing up to 2k pts with some kroots for side dish. I think in your situation, I'd give another fish to the new squad since i think FOF works better than double when doing it in pairs.

Old 27 Aug 2006, 21:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Vespid can be very useful if used correctly, read around the forums for more.
Old 28 Aug 2006, 00:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchicken 189
Ive been playing tau for awhile now and I'm tyring to prefect my army list. I'm tyring to make a hybrid force but am having some problems.
1. Firewarriors: Now I have 3 squads of fire warriors (but will have more soon) 1 squad is in a fish and the rest have rifles. For my next squads should I bring more men with rifles and fish or bring a squad of carbines? Also how many FWs do you think is enough
2.Vespid: Ive been wondering if I should use vespid. I know that they have SM killing power but the fact that they are so fragile and a bit pricey keeps me away from them. Do they fit well in a hybrid list?
3. Ethereal: Right now I'm using one but it hasn't seemed to do much and I was thinking out cutting it out. Any thoughts?
First off, a great idea would be to read the Hybrid Tau tactica on the main site. It's amazing.

Anyways..

1. Get one more squad of Fire Warriors (thus getting you 4 squads) and another Devilfish. Two carbine squads with the 'Fish, two rifle squads on foot since they won't be moving much. Four full squads of Fire Warriors would be a good idea at the 2,000 point level (as the rest of what I just said).

2. Vespid aren't bad at all, but against light infantry they wouldn't be all that great. You'd still be bypassing a basic Guardsman armor save with your pulse rifles, and for the price of your Vespid you could get two guys that can do the same thing. As israfel said, you should read around the forums for more.

3. I personally dislike Ethereals, since they can't really do much other than being sitting ducks that make your squads run away in horror if they die. The points could be better spent elsewhere, though that's only my opinion.

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
Old 28 Aug 2006, 02:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think of Vespid as an almost static element of my army. By virtue of their frailty, they need to be used in a very specific way on the battlefield. I think they're the most difficult unit to use in our list. For me, their "general" role in an "all comers" list is to protect my Broadsides. My broadsides are the anchor of my army, and Vespid protect them well. Vespid more than most of our units rely on support (only Pathfinders probably require support more).

That being said, they've broken a game from close to a route as often as they've been a non-factor. I love em...

I think 50 percent of your "hybrid" Fire Warriors should be mounted (unless you're fielding Kroot, in which case more should be mounted). But Pathfinders make a good extra "mounted" unit.
Another great substitute for a mounted Fire Warrior team is a small team of Stealth Suits. I tend to think of 4 stealth suits as a cheapened down Mech Fire Warrior team (I avoid Fusion Blasters on them, and support systems).

Ethereals are simply not worth the cost, unless you like them fluff-wise, or you feel strongly about taking a "Bodyguard" (with devilfish, to be sure).
Proudly banned from both Mech Tau Tactica and Advanced Tau Tactica by Kai'Lore. Kai'Lore has no honor and the fact that my mere presence reminds him of this is more than his cowardly person can bear. He banned me from the new site after less than a day. =)
Closed Thread