Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IS this a good army for a 40k Newbie??
Closed Thread
Old 26 Aug 2006, 05:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default IS this a good army for a 40k Newbie??

I had abit of a shopping spree last night because i was thinking of starting up a Tau army, i started playing as Nids but i just liked Tau more

Heres the army i'll have in a few days (well next month for the mega pack) And i'll just copy the order form i got in the email

3 Tau Pathfinders with Rail Rifles
1 Tau Sniper Drone Team
1 Tau Commander Shadowsun
1 Tau Aun'Va - Master of the Undying Spirit (3 figures scenic base)
1 Tau Fire Warriors (12 models)
1 Tau Hammerhead Tank
1 Tau XV8 Battlesuit
Tau XV25 Stealth Armour

Tau Empire Megaforce
Featuring
2 Crisis Suits
3 Stealth Suits (and Markerlight Drone)
20 Fire Warriors
6 Gun Drones
3 Piranha's
Devilfish APC
Hammerhead Gunship

1 Kroot Carnivore Squad (16 models)
2 Tau XV88 Broadside Battlesuit
1 Commander O Shovah

I was just wondering if this is a good army for a newbie and if anyone could give me some tactics and stuff because i've only recently got into liking warhammer
Old 26 Aug 2006, 05:49   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: IS this a good army for a 40k Newbie??

Wow...that is a pretty big force to paint(and convert if you like a different look).

Almost all the units are good, but you will need some training.

Why on earth would you have A farsight model, Aun'va and shaodow sun model in one go? All those models are very hard to use and also they clash really bad. But you can convert the O'shovah into your shas'O or shas'el(whichever you like). The best option is actually if you go hybrid for now, as it is the most balanced army of them all.

But seeing this, I am afraid that some of this unit will be a waste of money. Why you ask? This is because some of these units will not suit your particular style of combat, and thus they will be more of a white elephant(s).

Done on minis and now into the tactics.

Well, generally the tau army is actually an army for the advance player as the army is precision army and does not forgive mistakes that easily like the marines. But the look of the model is of paramount performance if you want to choose an army.

There are three types of tau army out there at the moment and they are;

1)Mech - comprised mostly of vehicles and battlesuit, mostly anything that can move 12" or more

2)Static - comprised of the footsloggers, heavy firepower

3)Hybrid - the balance between the mech and tau.

But seeing the minis that you bought, I say go for hybrid for the moment until you find something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 05:55   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for helping abit i was wondering about the three styles i've been reading about.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 09:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nice,

If I were you I would drop Aun'Va and pick up some standard pathfinders. everyting else looks good though; a good way to experiment.

Look around the forums and the rest of the site and I'm shure you'll find sme good tactical advice.

-drodgers

"For the Greater Good!"
Old 26 Aug 2006, 10:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

On the main site there are some good tacticas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis_vyper
Why on earth would you have A farsight model, Aun'va and shaodow sun model in one go? All those models are very hard to use and also they clash really bad. But you can convert the O'shovah into your shas'O or shas'el(whichever you like). The best option is actually if you go hybrid for now, as it is the most balanced army of them all.
Having all three give him a lot of flexibility.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.
Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong: THIS is the way the world ends. a friend of a friend (The First Cortana Letter) R.I.P KJ
Old 26 Aug 2006, 14:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The thing I can see is that you're not getting that many full squads. you have access to a max of 5 bare minimum squads with two guys left over.

The thing I've learned in my games is that Tau have to focus firepower. I know thats true for static tau, not sure about others though.

The hardest part of Tau is tactics. You have to out think your opponet at each step. So I recomend looking up every tactica you can, asking what rules support it, and making sure you understand the majority of the rule book.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 14:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you're planning on deploying ALL of that~ then no.

a good Tau list for newby would look like this:

24 Fire warriors in whatever config you like
some xv8s

maybe a few fusion carrying piranhas if points permit... and play at combat patrol.

if you're new to 40k, you will be lucky to avoid being massacred against an average player with the TAU. They're just very unforgiving. Try starting small~ that way you can learn a few lessons at a time, but learn it well, so you don't have to spend alot of time in the shit hole before you start handing their asses back to your opponents.

luck, and Tau'va
Old 27 Aug 2006, 04:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

A good idea might be to read the Tau codex, as well as to read some articles on Tau Online. For example, the Hybrid Tau article might be of major use to you, as a Hybrid Tau list might be a good one for beginners (seeing as to how it isn't extremely specialized).

Another good idea might be to read the links you can find in Important Topics. You'll get more of an idea for unit tactics.

There was a guy who had a suit / And Shas'o was his name-o. / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / S-H-A-S-O! / And Shas'o was his name-o!
Old 27 Aug 2006, 07:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

When i started i had 3 battlesuits, 3 stealth suits, 12 fire warriors, and 6 gun drones. To say the least a massacred my eldar opponent. But i had picked up a few tricks before i tried them. I have been reading just about every tactica i can find and have been doing so for like 6 months before i ever got tau and was still an IG player. Just a hint from me that has worked for a long time now with me. Split your 12 fire warriors into 2 squads of 6, one with 6 carbines, the other with 4 rifles and 2 carbines. the 6 carbine squad can move and shoot freely while the 4 rifles provide long range fire support with the 2 carbines covering up close. Plus the pinnig rocks.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 07:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to firewarrior123

Over all, its great, (just as long as your committed to painting all that :-\). but if I were you, i would drop the special characters, and go for a crisis suit commander. and another broadside.
Closed Thread