Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Railhead vs Ionhead
Old 24 Aug 2006, 08:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Railhead vs Ionhead

I was wandering if this could be a good and competive choise: A mech list with 3 Ionheads-no Railguns.I was thinking of running 3 Ionheads.They're 35 pts cheaper,and they can be quite effective-you always have juicy targets for the Ion cannon!!
For anti-heavy tanks purposes i'm running a couple of Piranhas and a Deep Striking Monat.What do you people think about that,could this be a viable option and generally can Ionhead make it over Railhead..??
Old 24 Aug 2006, 08:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Railhead vs Ionhead

Last game I played against nids (quite low points) and I wished I had an Ion cannon, as killing the monstrous creatures might have been quicker (none had 2+ saves). On the other hand, when it comes to genestealers and warriors the Rail becomes more effective.

And if I always took Ion then I think I'd quickly com up against creatures with 2+ saves, against my regular opponent.

It's viable option, and the 100pts you'll be saving will pay for the suits you need for handling those 2+ saves.

But don't get too predictable

Old 24 Aug 2006, 09:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would personally suggest a 1/2 or 2/1 mix of railguns and ion-cannons if you don't wanna take broadsides.

Expensive, sure, but its not the 2+ saves that you need to be worried about. Its the T5 types, the AV 13/14 vehicles, the swarms of tiny things...

Ion is nice. Damn nice. Unfortunately that hammerhead railgun's also nowhere-else to be found, and some weapons can be just as effective (plasma gets the 2+ also, missile pods cheaper/more-numerous against 4+).

Its too bad our selection of weapons is so heavily limited to specific force org slots...
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2006, 11:09   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I say the ion hits more often than the railgun. But the anti- tank part is a railgun speciality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2006, 12:57   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The choise between Ion-Rail really haunts me :-\I need that S10 AP1 shot or the devastating S6 AP4 plate...The real problem is that it's only one shot...2 out of 3 times we hit,meaning 4 hits in a game.(though "undisterbed" shots without counting any Crew Shaken,Stunned,etc..).
About the plate( S6 AP4),we just have a ton of anti-infatry weapons/choises.We have Pulse Rifles,BC's,SMS's,possibly an AFP..Many times a have annihilate an IG Force with 120+ Infantry at turn 5.Our anti-horde weapons are just that good.
On the other hand comes anti-tank choises.The AV14 vehicles are Raider,Russ.Well,those two,can easily blow out if a FB comes to 6".(and with an average die roll of course!)I think that 3 Piranhas and a Sunforge Monat are good anti-tank choises that can deal with a Raider or a couple of Russes.
The final point is Monolith.In no-Railgun army this is a real pain as you can't count on a lucky 6 of a FB...But in the other hand,with 3 Ionheads can kill a lot of Immortals,Warriors,Destroyers in 1st-2nd turn..
Do you believe that a mix 2/1,1/2 that Nova already suggested is the best option..??
Old 24 Aug 2006, 13:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

When it comes to Necrons, I don't worry about the monolith. It's only one model. the Ion would kill more models faster in the form of infantry, and get you to the phase out point much faster. Keeping Rails strictly to deal with Monoliths is a bad idea. I'm including a Railhead in my army for 2000 points (yes currently up to 1700 I have no HH) but I'm buying the Skyray kit and making it modular. So in a situation where one of the other choices are better (like when I play my friends Speed Freeks) I can set up the Ion Cannon, or maybe the Skyray, or even just a DF if my BS will be enough.
orion549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2006, 13:29   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaso Kellenar
The choise between Ion-Rail really haunts me :-\I need that S10 AP1 shot or the devastating S6 AP4 plate...The real problem is that it's only one shot...2 out of 3 times we hit,meaning 4 hits in a game.(though "undisterbed" shots without counting any Crew Shaken,Stunned,etc..).
About the plate( S6 AP4),we just have a ton of anti-infatry weapons/choises.We have Pulse Rifles,BC's,SMS's,possibly an AFP..Many times a have annihilate an IG Force with 120+ Infantry at turn 5.Our anti-horde weapons are just that good.
On the other hand comes anti-tank choises.The AV14 vehicles are Raider,Russ.Well,those two,can easily blow out if a FB comes to 6".(and with an average die roll of course!)I think that 3 Piranhas and a Sunforge Monat are good anti-tank choises that can deal with a Raider or a couple of Russes.
The final point is Monolith.In no-Railgun army this is a real pain as you can't count on a lucky 6 of a FB...But in the other hand,with 3 Ionheads can kill a lot of Immortals,Warriors,Destroyers in 1st-2nd turn..
Do you believe that a mix 2/1,1/2 that Nova already suggested is the best option..??
Yes, we all always think of those as we make the list.

But Nova is pretty much right, but the 2 railhead and 1 ionhead is a better choice. This is because the railgun on a hammerhead is not the most user-friendly weapon in the Tau arsenal. It either hit or miss in the case of the hammerhead. So we need another hammerhead in order to be the backup anti-tank. But if you prefer accuracy over speed and template, well go with the broadsides.

The ion cannon is unique that its strengh and AP is used more often as a anti -heavy nfantry weapon rather than its intended use, which is light vehicle hunting. Although to some people, it is a waste of a heavy support slot, but the ionhead provides us with a rather cheap tank that we can squeeze inside an army. The other thing is that spending very little points in one tank enables us to have more points in another slot in the FOC.

Orion is right, as the monolith is not a threat(unless it deepstrikes) and the ion kills the necrons like there is no tommorow. The ionhead is also good in killing elites of an army, and with the burst cannon as its secondary weapon, it is a lean and mean infantry killer platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2006, 13:45   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm w/ Nova on this one. 2 Ion's and Rail are a good choice if you're taking 3 HHs. If you're facing lots of AV13-14, you might want to go 2 Rail's & an Ion, but I've really found that the former is really, REALLY effective.

I usually just go w/ BC's on my HH's as well, the SMS is nice, but you get 2 more shots out of the BC's @ the same str/ap. I have yet to find a situation where I missed the SMS, but if you find yourself playing on heavy terrain boards (I usually don't) the SMS may be a better option
Old 24 Aug 2006, 14:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ollie

well if you have 3 hammerheads, take one railhead for fire support against those lovely bunched up targets...that way you get confusion and a very good amount of firepower at your disposal

---if your drones are variable---

give the railhead burst cannons, just for protection, and the ionheads missles. now all 3 'heads have long range weapons, and with that combo, you'll be surprised how many people you confuse (that combo works well when you have a good strong forward unit, like ur monat)

Cheers!

In loving memory of Kangaroo Joe 1987-2007

May the Emperor smile upon him
Quote:

by Farseer Emlyn

This could be solved if only they'd give Space Marines access to Commissars. "I'm sorry brother Amaleius, there isn't room for you in the transport" *BANG*. "Alright, men, let's get moving".
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2006, 14:24   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the feedback guys, i'll do my calculations and see what i've got...Possibly i'll go with 2 Ions - 1Rail.Let's see..