Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Tau / 40 K gamer seeks Wisdom
Closed Thread
Old 23 Aug 2006, 21:56   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default New Tau / 40 K gamer seeks Wisdom

Hey guys, my friends and I play fantasy, but we finally all started up 40 K armies. They are playing Nids and Eldar, and I have decided to fight for the greater good!

Since I am new to 40K I was wondering if I could get some cliff notes (aka tips) on playing the Tau. Now I already know they are horrid in close combat (ws2) , but I was hoping for some more advanced tips! I bought the battalion box set, and we will be playing 450 - 500 point games until we expand our forces.

Also I had a few questions.

1. I equipped my Shas`el with hardwired multi-tracker, and target lock, and with a plasma rifle and missle pod, so he can move 6 and shoot both, then move 6 again in the assault phase right?

2. Can my firewarriors shoot the unit they hit with the markerlight and gain the benefits?

Thanks a bunch

Toddums
Old 23 Aug 2006, 22:54   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: New Tau / 40 K gamer seeks Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddums
1. I equipped my Shas`el with hardwired multi-tracker, and target lock, and with a plasma rifle and missile pod, so he can move 6 and shoot both, then move 6 again in the assault phase right?

2. Can my firewarriors shoot the unit they hit with the markerlight and gain the benefits?
1. Thats right he can also shoot at a different target than the unit.

2. Only if you have a networked markerlight like the ones on the marker drones.

Warning the opinions contained in this post may not represent the opinions of my better judgement or the workings of my rational mind.

But there probably okay.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 23:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

There is a ton of tactica available on the site, I suggest sitting down and reading it. There are few "cliff notes" available for Tau that I can think of, because everything about the Tau (much like the other races) is so complex in theory that it takes time to dictate. I'll give you some links for you to consider, however, relating to the tactica:

http://www.tauonline.org/ViewCategory.php?id=2
I recommend reading almost if not all of these. These links contain very fundamental knowledge that is useful for list creation and general combat.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=4815.0
There a ton of topics here as well. They start new knowledge and expand what you already know.

I seriously suggest taking the time to read all that. You can prevent many frustrating mistakes early on by learning from others. Good luck.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
Old 23 Aug 2006, 23:19   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddums
Hey guys, my friends and I play fantasy, but we finally all started up 40 K armies. They are playing Nids and Eldar, and I have decided to fight for the greater good!

Since I am new to 40K I was wondering if I could get some cliff notes (aka tips) on playing the Tau. Now I already know they are horrid in close combat (ws2) , but I was hoping for some more advanced tips! I bought the battalion box set, and we will be playing 450 - 500 point games until we expand our forces.

Also I had a few questions.

1. I equipped my Shas`el with hardwired multi-tracker, and target lock, and with a plasma rifle and missle pod, so he can move 6 and shoot both, then move 6 again in the assault phase right?

Thanks a bunch

Toddums
Welcome to the forums! There are a number of good tactica stickied in the Important Topics section up top.

I would not use a Target Lock on your commander, especially at the 500-point level. He needs to be his own unit to benefit from target selection rules as an IC. Aside from that, he is a basic Fireknife configuration, which is always my first choice in a small game. The drones that come with the battallion are probably used on their own as another fast scoring unit.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 23:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

By the way, if your Shas'El is alone (no retinue/bodyguards) or isn't planning to join any units (personally I never do), you can drop the target-lock.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 23:58   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hey guys! Thanks for the responses! I ment to use the targeting array? But I guess you can't have that hard-wired.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 00:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to LtCariad

You are right, the Targeting Array cannot be hard wired, but you don't have to. Put Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle and Targeting Array on hardpoints and hard wire the multitracker - Instant BS5 'El!
Old 24 Aug 2006, 00:16   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh ya! But I forgot to mention I have a shield generator too. I am scared of my little toughness 4 general being zapped or crushed.
Old 24 Aug 2006, 00:55   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Just a small suggestion hard wire the target lock to free up the hard point for TL missile pod or a comand and control nod.
PS Blue tack battle suit weapons and support systems so you can change them as much as you like
Old 24 Aug 2006, 01:08   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Garrr markerlights are a bit confusing at first. So If I have a team leader in a fire warrior unit, and he has a markerlight that hits, that fire unit cannot benefit from it? Only my other troops?

Question number 2: If a model has a markerlight, and a hard wired multi tracker, can he fire normally after using the markerlight?

Should I even use a markerlight in a 500 point game?
Closed Thread